and put it up on the web so people can access it

I will also be webing up the other units lists of names

so I dont lose them again in another computer crash arrrrrh

Best Regards

Jenny

Thank you Jenny, been going through those pages, an excellent resource

Regret that we went to Wimereux but did not know to visit Myrtle Wilson there

Hi Jenny

Good to see you're still working on our ladies - it looks like a great website.

I've also been doing a bit of research on our Aussie women over the last few months - and will check my details against yours to see if I can add anything on them if you'd like (seeing as I've not quite worked out the intricacies of building a website! :blink:)

Cheers, Frev

Thanks Frev

any additions or correctsions would be great

:rolleyes:

Hi Jenny

Good to see you're still working on our ladies - it looks like a great website.

I've also been doing a bit of research on our Aussie women over the last few months - and will check my details against yours to see if I can add anything on them if you'd like (seeing as I've not quite worked out the intricacies of building a website! :blink:)

Cheers, Frev

Jenny - first one in my database that you don't appear to have:

You'll see I tend to gather a lot of info that I'll leave you to sort through, to find the bits you might want.
[sorry I've been slack & haven't linked or referenced anything - I do keep telling myself off for that :rolleyes:]

Cheers, Frev

*EDITED 1/11/2014 TO UPDATE DETAILS

ABELL, Lydia (ARRC) – Staff Nurse, FFNC / AVH / QAIMNSR

Born 13/6/1872 Wallsend, NSW – daughter of Elijah ABELL & Margaret BROWN – who married in Newcastle in 1859

Margaret died 27/5/1902, age 63, at her home in Wallsend from Pleurisy & Bronchitis, with Lydia nursing her towards the end

Elijah d.1913 Wallsend, age 81 (Mining Overseer / Mayor of Wallsend 1882, 1886 & 1894 for the 4th time)

Siblings: Ann b.1860 – marr Cummings – d.1920; Thomas b.1862 –d.1947; Susan b.1864 – marr John BOWER – d.30/4/1917 (lost her eldest son William (Pte 4067) – DOW 6/2/1917); Alexander b.1867 – d.1939; Elizabeth b.1869 – marr Edward Lockley 1914; John William b.1875 – d.1928 NSW, age 53; Sarah Jane b.1878 (nurse) – d.1958 Chatswood

Educated at the Superior Public School, Wallsend

*3 months as a Probationary Nurse at Wallsend Hospital, in place of Miss Garaty – 1894

*Trained Newcastle Hospital, NSW – Oct 1895 – Oct 1898 [passed her final (or 3rd year) exam in Aug 1898] – continued nursing there until July 1900 as Charge Sister

Private Nursing July 1900 to March 1901 / Sub-Matron, Infant’s Home, Ashfield March 1901 to Feb 1902 / Private Nursing Feb 1902 to June 1904 / Royal Hospital for Women June 1904 to Dec 1904 / Private Nursing Dec 1904 until leaving for England

“Her services were secured by the Government on two occasions when special staffs of nurses were engaged to cope with serious epidemics at Coonamble and at Newcastle.”

*1910 Lawson, NSW – 1912 Turanville, Scone, NSW

*Infant Welfare work at the Babies Hospital, St Peters, SA & Perth Children’s Hospital (Dec 1914)

*Attached Phillip St Nurse’s Home

*Foundation Member of the ATNA

WW1 Service:

Travelled to England (with Nurse Ellen Lowe, age 43) by the RMS Arabia, embarking Sydney 18th September 1915 – and arriving Tilbury 1/11/1915

Crossed to France 19/11/1915 with the French Flag Nursing Corps (with Ellen Lowe & Mabel Gale)

Served at the Military Hospital at Talence, near Bordeaux

AVH – she is on the list of nurses serving at the Australian Voluntary Hospital (AVH) when it was taken over by the War Office in July 1916 & renamed 32nd Stationary Hospital – recommended to join the QAIMNSR by their Matron, Ida Greaves

QAIMNSR Service Record:

[NOK: her sister Mrs E Lockley, Ridge St, Gordon, NSW]

Transferred to the QAIMNSR from the AVH 1/7/1916 – continued working at the newly named 32nd Stationary Hosp, Wimeraux

Leave 17/3/1917

10th Stationary Hosp 15/7/1917

3 & 4 Ambulance Flotilla 16/7/1917 (hospital barges on the Canal)

10 Staty Hosp

14th General Hosp, Boulogne 14/9/1917

14 days Leave 30/12/1917

2nd Casualty Clearing Station 15/3/1918 – 15th CCS 9/4/1918 – 2nd CCS 12/5/1918 – 11th CCS 17/6/1918 – 62nd CCS 12/7/1918

26th General Hosp 20/11/1918

Report by Matron – 26th Gen Hosp, 1/4/1919:

Miss Abell has worked in this hospital since 20/11/1918 to present date – during that time she has had charge of both medical and surgical wards. She is a thoroughly sensible practical nurse, capable and reliable. Is tactful, punctual, kind, sound in her judgement, loyal to those in authority, and keeps an excellent tone in her wards.

I consider her suitable for promotion.

To UK to be demobilized 18/4/1919 – service terminated 26/4/1919

“Awarded the Royal Red Cross

Advices just received describe the hasty removal of an important casualty clearing station immediately behind the lines on the Western front owing to the Allied army being pressed back by the oncoming German forces during a recent offensive. Less than half an hour’s warning was given to the staff to prepare to leave with the wounded patients and to pack as best they could all the surgical appliances and stores. Doctors and nurses worked heroically, and while hospitals in the vicinity were being deliberately bombed by German aircraft, succeeded in re-establishing the station in a safer quarter. Sister Abell, who has now been honoured with the Royal Red Cross, was one of the heroic band of nurses.”

Received her RRC (2nd Class) from the King 15/5/1919 at Buckingham Palace

RTA on the Katoomba, embarking 7/8/1919, and arriving Sydney 25/9/1919

Returned for a visit to her birthplace, Wallsend, in October & attended a Welcome Home in the Masonic Hall on the 3/11/1919

Nursed at the Repatriation Department’s Lady Davidson Home at Turramurra – from her return to Australia until retiring from the institution in 1933 (2nd in charge)

1920 – residing with her sister Elizabeth at Gordon, NSW

Electoral Rolls:

1936 ER: Burbank, Wentworth Falls, NSW – nursing sister

1937 ER: Red Cross Farm, Exeter, NSW - nurse

1943 ER: 123 Prince Edward St, Malabar, NSW – home duties

1949 ER: 29 Ridge St, Gordon – nursing sister (also with her was Sarah Jane – nurse)

1954 ER: 79 Boundary St, Roseville – no occupation

1958 ER: 17 Edward St, Gordon – no occ

Died 21/7/1959 at the Lady Gowrie Nursing Home, Edward St, Gordon, NSW, age 87 (reg. Chatswood, NSW)

Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate (NSW), Wed 1 Aug 1894 (p.8):

WALLSEND HOSPITAL

……………………………………………………………………………….

The question of the probationary nurse was introduced. It appears that since the illness of Miss Garaty, Miss Lydia Abell has been acting, and giving such general satisfaction that it was decided that she should remain the full term of three months for which she was engaged, and that Miss Garaty be granted another month’s leave of absence.

The Blue Mountain Echo (NSW), Fri 30 Dec 1910 (p.9):

Late Lawson

Nurse Abel, a member of the A.T.N.A. has taken up her residence here, and much satisfaction is expressed that a nurse of her standing and qualification is available in case of sickness, there being no resident doctor in the district. There should be a good opening for a trained nurse under the circumstances.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 18 Sept 1915:

PERSONAL

Nurse L Abell, of Newcastle and Sydney, one of the first members of the Australian Trained Nurses’ Association, and Nurse Ellen Lowe, matron of the State Hospital at Barren Jack, leave Sydney to-day, by the P and O Company’s RMS Arabia, to volunteer their services, for work with the military hospitals in France.

The British Journal of Nursing, Nov 20, 1915:

FRENCH FLAG NURSING CORPS

……………………………. All being well Miss Mabel Gale, Miss Ellen Lowe, and Miss Lydia Abell, holding certificates of three years’ training, and the Certificate of Registration of the Australasian Trained Nurses’ Association, leave for Paris on the 19th inst.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 17 Jul 1918:

A NURSE ON SHIRKERS

“THEY WILL BE SORRY SOME DAY.”

Staff-Nurse L. Abell, of Sydney, who three years ago proceeded to France to offer her services to the military authorities, and who is attached to Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, writing to a friend from a casualty clearing station behind the lines, says: - “Much as I would like to come home, I do not wish to leave the boys or my work. I went with the other nurses to one of the camps this morning, and the boys were delighted to see us, and made us very welcome. Most of them are from New South Wales, and I am going again to-morrow, because they will not be here long. They are dear brave boys, and I am proud of them. Those who could have come and didn’t will be sorry some day.”

The Sydney Morning Herald, Thur 8 Aug 1918:

SYDNEY NURSE HONOURED

[Photo]

SISTER LYDIA ABELL

Awarded the Royal Red Cross

Advices just received describe the hasty removal of an important casualty clearing station immediately behind the lines on the Western front owing to the Allied army being pressed back by the oncoming German forces during a recent offensive. Less than half an hour’s warning was given to the staff to prepare to leave with the wounded patients and to pack as best they could all the surgical appliances and stores. Doctors and nurses worked heroically, and while hospitals in the vicinity were being deliberately bombed by German aircraft, succeeded in re-establishing the station in a safer quarter. Sister Abell, who has now been honoured with the Royal Red Cross, was one of the heroic band of nurses.

Sister Abell, who is a native of Wallsend, was trained at the Newcastle Hospital, and eventually became a charge nurse at that institution. Matron Greaves, of the Australian Voluntary Hospital, and Matron Veenman, of the Randwick Military Hospital, both of whom were some time ago decorated with the Royal Red Cross, were among her colleagues at Newcastle. For some years Sister Abell continued the practice of her profession in Sydney, and was attached to the Phillip-street Nurses’ Home. Her services were secured by the Government on two occasions when special staffs of nurses were engaged to cope with serious epidemics at Coonamble and at Newcastle. Sister Abell is one of the foundation members of the Australasian Trained Nurses Association.

Desiring to assist in war work, Sister Abell in September 1915, proceeded at her own expense to London and France to volunteer her services to the military authorities, and was at once attached to Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. She was appointed to a military hospital at Talence, near Bordeaux, then transferred to the 32nd Stationary Hospital at Boulogne, and afterwards was chosen for hospital barge work on one of the canals, and was frequently under fire. Subsequently she received an appointment to the 14th General Stationary Hospital at Boulogne, and later was selected for duty at casualty clearing stations in the danger zone.

Sister Abell is at present the only Australian nurse on the staff of the No. 2 Casualty Clearing Station “somewhere in France.”

The British Journal of Nursing, May 24, 1919:

HONOURS FOR NURSES

The King held an Investiture in the Quadrangle of Buckingham Palace on the morning of May 15th, and conferred, amongst others, the following decorations.

The Royal Red Cross

SECOND CLASS

Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Militiary Nursing Service Reserve - …………….., and Staff Nurse Lydia Abell

The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 11 Jul 1919:

[photo – very dark]

SISTER L. ABELL, R.R.C.

Advices have just been received from London, stating that on May 15 Sister L. Abell, of Sydney, was decorated at Buckingham Palace by his Majesty the King with the Royal Red Cross. Sister Abell, who is a native of Wallsend, was trained at the Newcastle Hospital, and eventually became a charge nurse at that institution. For some years she continued the practice of her profession in Sydney, and was attached to the Phillip-street Nurses’ Home. Desiring to assist in war work, Sister Abell in September 1915, proceeded at her own expense to London and France to volunteer her services to the military authorities, and was at once attached to Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 26 Sept 1919:

PERSONAL

Sister L Abell, who was recently decorated by the King at Buckingham Palace with the Royal Red Cross and subsequently entertained by Queen Alexandra at Marlborough House, returned yesterday by the transport Katoomba. …………………………………………………………………….

The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 4 Nov 1919:

NURSING SISTER HONOURED

NEWCASTLE, Monday

A welcome home to a number of local returned soldiers was held in the Masonic Hall at Wallsend to-night. The Mayor (Alderman T. Abel) occupied the chair.

A prominent figure among the returned heroes was Sister L. Abell, R.R.C. Sister Abell, who is well-known in the Wallsend district, where she was born, enlisted for active service in 1915, and served in France and Belgium. For gallantry and devotion to duty she was awarded the Royal Red Cross, which decoration she received at the hands of the King at Buckinham Palace. She returned to her birthplace a few weeks ago. Sister Abell was trained at the Newcastle Hospital.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 14 Jun 1933:

SISTER L ABELL

Royal Red Cross Nurse Retires

Sister L Abell, who has been on the staff of the Lady Davidson Home, at Turramurra for the past 12 years, has retired from the service of the Repatriation Department.

[Photo]

Sister Abell, who is a native of Wallsend, was trained at the Newcastle Hospital, and later continued to practise her profession in Sydney. She is one of the foundation members of the Australasian Trained Nurses’ Association. In September 1915, desiring to assist in war work, Sister Abell proceeded to London at her own expense to volunteer her services, and was immediately attached to Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. She was appointed to a military hospital at Talence, near Boreaux, then transferred to the 32nd Stationary Hospital at Boulogne, and afterwards was chosen for hospital barge work on one of the canals, being frequently under fire. Subsequently she received an appointment to the 14th General Stationary Hospital at Boulogne, and still later was selected for duty at casualty clearing stations in the danger zone. On May 15, 1919, Sister Abell was decorated with the Royal Red Cross by his Majesty the King at Buckingham Palace.

A farewell party was tendered Sister Abell at the Lady Davidson Home on Monday night. Dr F.R. Featherstone, medical superintendent, on behalf of the patients and staff, presented Sister Abell with a travelling clock and a wallet of notes. He eulogised her splendid war services, and said she had given 18 years of life serving the interests of the Digger. He had never heard her say a word to the detriment of the Australian soldier, and he viewed her going as a personal loss.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 13 Jan 1934:

PERSONAL

Sister L. Abell, R.R.C., who recently retired from the postion of second-in-charge at the Lady Davidson Home at Turramurra, was yesterday presented with a travelling clock by members of the T.B. Sailors’ and Soldiers’ Association. Mr L.V. Spence, vice-president said that Sister Abell had rendered splendid service during her many years’ association with the home.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 10 Mar 1920:

THE LADY DAVIDSON RED CROSS HOME

With the consent of the president of the New South Wales division of the Red Cross (Dame Margaret Davidson, D.B.E.), and with the approval of the Defence Department, it has been decided to name the new sanatorium for consumptives The Lady Davidson Red Cross Home.

The home is about six miles from Turramurra railway station, near the entrance to Kuringal Chase.

The executive committee of the New South Wales division of the Red Cross Society desired that the name of Lady Davidson should be permanently associated with a prominent Red Cross institution in this State, as a token of their appreciation of the great interest taken by her in all the activities of the Red Cross during the war period and since the conclusion of peace.

There is at present accommodation for 75 T.B. patients in The Lady Davidson Red Cross Home, but this will subsequently be increased to make adequate provision for at least 100 patients.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 21 Apr 1928:

MR J.W. ABELL

Mr John William Abell, who for more than30 years had been an officer of the Department of Education of New South Wales, died suddenly on Thursday at his home in Durham-street, Stanmore.

Joining the department in 1895, Mr Abell was appointed ………

Mr Abell, who is 53 years of age, ……………

Sister L Abell, RRC, of the Lady Davidson Home, Nurse Jane Abell, and Mrs Lockley, of Gordon, are sisters.

The funeral took place yesterday at the Rookwood Crematorium.

One more for now - don't want to swamp you! :lol:

ATKINSON, (Alice) Blanche – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR, RRC (? 2nd Class)

Born 5/7/1879 Crafers, SA [reg. as Alice] – daughter of Frederick John ATKINSON & Mary Ann Martha CHURCH. Married in 1868 – FJ died 18/4/1913, MAM in May 1919

Siblings: William Henry b.13/7/1871 Glen Osmond – d.4/5/1873, SA; Frederick b.16/12/1873 G.O.;

(all born Crafers, SA) Arthur b.20/8/1875 – d.10/9/1912; Alfred b.22/5/1877; Clement b.13/11/1881; Leonard b.22/3/1884, Jessie b.22/3/1886 – d.14/8/1886; Victoria May b.21/5/1887; Bruce b.2/8/1889, Gilbert b.27/10/1891; Ida Grace b.13/7/1893, Linda Dorothy b.13/9/1897

Attended Stirling East Primary School (listed on the Honour Board)

Trained at Adelaide Hospital – served six years at “Kalvra”, Belair – also some years in Western Australia

Travelled to England to join the QAIMNSR, embarking Adelaide on the SS Beltana – arriving London 22/7/1915 (giving her age as 32 – she would have turned 36 on the voyage)

Served in the Brockenhurst Military Hospital

Became a patient at Netley Hospital when her health broke down due to overwork, and was invalided home in September 1916

Died 9/12/1916 at her mother’s home in Crafers, Sth Australia, age 38 (?TB)

Buried at the Stirling East Cemetery, SA (Now Stirling General Cemetery – doesn’t appear to be a headstone for her, though there is for her parents & siblings?)

Notes:

Photo of her as a young girl in nurses uniform in the Weekender Herald 17/10/2010 (online) in an article entitled ‘hills history’: http://adelaidehills.realviewtechnologies.com/default.aspx?iid=41482&startpage=page0000007

Some sources say she died of TB – interestingly, “Kalvra” was a TB Sanatorium

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Mon 11 Sept 1916:

PERSONAL

Mrs F.J. Atkinson, of Crafers, has received word from her eldest daughter, Staff Nurse B. Atkinson, who has been on duty at the Brockenhurst Military Hospital, England, that while in bed in hospital she was decorated by his Majesty the King with the Royal Red Cross Medal for “Devotion to Service.” This is one of the highest distinctions a nurse can obtain.

[photo]

Nurse Atkinson was for six years at “Kalvra,” Belair, and completed her training at the Adelaide Hospital. Before proceeding to England to join the Royal British Nursing Association she was engaged in her profession for several years in Western Australia. Nurse Atkinson is at present an inmate of Netley Hospital, England, suffering from a breakdown owing to overwork, and has been invalided home.

The Register (Adelaide), Wed 27 Sept 1916:

HOME AGAIN

More Returned Soldiers

…………………another detachment of returned soldiers arrived in Adelaide on Tuesday morning. They came by the Melbourne express, ………………………………………

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Sister Atkinson, who is ill, left the train at Mount Lofty. She was attended by Sister Griffiths.

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Mon 11 Dec 1916:

FUNERAL NOTICES

ATKINSON – THE FRIENDS of Mrs MARY ANN and the late FREDERICK J. ATKINSON are respectfully informed that the Remains of their late Daughter (Sister Blanche Atkinson, RRC), will be removed from her late residence, Crafers, on MONDAY, at 3.30pm for interment in the Stirling East Cemetery.

The Register (Adelaide), Sat 16 Dec 1916:

DEATHS

ATKINSON – On the 9th December, at Crafers, Blanche (Sister) Atkinson, RRC, and QAIMNSR, eldest dearly loved daughter of Mrs and the late F.J. Atkinson, aged 38 years. “She gave her life for King and Country.” English and Western Australian papers please copy.

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Sat 16 Dec 1916:

PERSONAL

Staff-Nurse Blanche Atkinson, whose death took place at Crafers last Saturday, was the eldest daughter of Mrs M.A. Atkinson and the late Mr F.J. Atkinson, and was born at Crafers. She adopted nursing as her profession, and after serving a term in the Adelaide Hospital practised for several years in Western Australia. At the outbreak of the war she went to England and joined the Royal British Nursing Association. She was on the staff of the Brokenhurst Military Hospital, in England, for a considerable time, and was so untiring in attending to her duties that ultimately her health broke down, and she was compelled to become an inmate of Netley Hospital. While she was there the following letter was received by Lieutenant-General Sir Alfred Keogh, Director-General of the Army Medical Service, from the King’s private secretary:

[photo]

“The King and Queen are so sorry to hear that Miss Atkinson is laid up in Netley Hospital and so is unable to receive at the hands of his Majesty the Royal Red Cross decoration awarded to her for devoted service, in the execution of which she unfortunately contracted her present illness. The King hopes you will be able to send someone to Netley – perhaps Miss Belcher – to hand this decoration to Miss Atkinson, and to tell her how much their Majesties sympathise with her and truly wish her a speedy restoration to health.”

Sister Atkinson was duly presented with the decoration and the letter. The Royal Red Cross medal is one of the highest distinctions to be obtained in the military nursing service. She also held a medal of Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Nursing Service Reserve. Sister Atkinson was subsequently invalided home, and had only returned a very short time when she succumbed to her illness.

The Register (Adelaide), Mon 21 Apr 1913:

The late Mr Frederick John Atkinson, of Crafers, whose sudden death was reported in Saturday’s issue, was a native of South Australia, having been born at Cowandilla in 1847. In 1868 he was married to Miss Marianne Church, and in 1874 went to reside at Crafers, where he started a butchering business, which he successfully continued until his death. He was a Freemason, and was one of the first members of the Stirling District Council. Mr Atkinson was also a trustee of the Crafers Institute. He was well known at the meat market, and was regarded as a keen buyer. The deceased left a widow, five sons – Alfred (of Glenelg), Clement (of Gepp’s Cross), Leonard, Bruce and Gilbert (of Crafers) – and four daughters – Blanche (of Western Australia), May, Grace, and Linda (of Crafers). Mr William Atkinson, of Mount Barker, is his only surviving brother.

I would have thought that Alice Blanche Atkinson would be of interest to the In From The Cold team to get her commemorated as her death seems to have been due to her war service.

The Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) award was in the name of 'Blanche Atkinson' - and Gazetted 3rd June 1916. A note in the Royal Red Cross Register states;

'Badge sent to A.M.D.4 for private presentation, Miss Atkinson being too ill to attend an Investiture'.

Sue

I would have thought that Alice Blanche Atkinson would be of interest to the In From The Cold team to get her commemorated as her death seems to have been due to her war service.

I had been wondering about that Jim - but thought if she did die of TB, that she possibly contracted it pre-war, during her time at 'Kalvra' - and therefore wouldn't be eligible. I had meant to pass her over to you to see if you had anything else on her(as I don't think you gave her to me in your original list?) - but you know how I get side-tracked so easily :innocent:

I guess her death certificate would be the first step?

Cheers, Frev

The Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) award was in the name of 'Blanche Atkinson' - and Gazetted 3rd June 1916. A note in the Royal Red Cross Register states;

'Badge sent to A.M.D.4 for private presentation, Miss Atkinson being too ill to attend an Investiture'.

Sue

Thank you Sue - I thought it was more likely she received the ARRC - and it's interesting to see that it was actually sent back to her home state for presentation (A.M.D.4: Australian Military District 4 being Sth Australia).

Cheers, Frev

Jenny - a few more

Not on your list:

No further research yet:

BARTLETT, F.M. – QAIMNSR

RTA on the Roda 8/5/1919 – disembarked Melbourne & returned to Sydney by train 11/7/1919

[ANA series no. MT1487/1]

[no Brit MC / there is a SR for a Florence Bartlett]

BENNETT, Frances Agnes – Sister, QAIMNSR

Born 1864

Embarked 1915 on the Maloja

Served Eygpt, Hospital Ships, France

RTA 7/8/1919 on the Katoomba

Died 1933

For further detail see: http://throughtheselines.com.au/research/frances-bennett

This is one of the few that I managed to download her service record (before price came into force) – no mention of RRC (either class) in her records (see SMH 8/9/19 below).

Sue – any chance you can check the register on this?

BONIFACE, Mabel Rose Mary – (RRC either class ?), Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Born 25/5/1885 Hackney, London – daughter of John Dolphin BONIFACE & Mary ROBINSON

John, a Commercial clerk / Private secretary, died in 1912 England & Mary died in 1942 at her daughter Mabel’s residence at Balmoral Beach, NSW

Siblings: Gertrude b.1887 England; Sidney John b.1889 England (? Brit forces: Pte DM2/168967, ASC)

Educated: Girl’s School – Lawley St, Clapton & Clarks Civil Service College, Chancery Lane, London

Trained: St Marlyebone Infirmary Mar 1908 – Mar 1911 [also a Certified Massuese]

Employment: Staff nurse, Channing Cross Hosp, Mar 1911 – Mar 1912; Night Sister, 3 months East End Mothers Home.

St Margaret’s Hospital, Sydney, NSW; Private Hospital, Melbourne & Bush Nursing, Meeniyan, Vic 1913 - 1915

Emmigrated to Australia 1912 or 13

WW1 Service Record:

NOK, mother – Mrs J.D. Boniface, The Caves, Stanthorpe, Qld – and later, Lupin Lodge, Marius Rd, Balham, London

Embarked Brisbane, Qld 26/5/1915 on the Osterley – arriving London 17/7/1915

Joined the QAIMNSR & served at Devonport from 7/8/1915

Served in France from 25/8/1916 at 23rd Gen Hosp – 16/11/16 at 24th Gen Hosp – 7/12/16 at 12th CCS

Resigned from overseas service to return to England 14/3/1917 – due to her mother’s dependence on her (her mother had travelled to England to be close to her son!)

All Mabel’s kit was lost on the return journey

April 1917 – appointed Night Superintendent at City of Westminster Union Infirmary, Fulham Rd, S.W.

Re-applied to join the QAIMNSR, & posted to Parkhurst 19/12/17 – resigned again 11/12/18 in order to return to Australia with her mother

RTA 2/1/1919 on the Berrima (free passage in return for service)

Sept 1919 – Matron of Scarborough House Red Cross Home, NSW

Married Frank Roper CLUETT in 1920 Gosford, NSW

[Frank b.1893 Parramatta, NSW – son of Frank Ernest CLUETT & Ida Amelia GEERTSEN

WW1: Sapper 147, 1st FCE, AIF – had his back broken by shrapnel at Gallipoli 30/4/1915 – RTA on the Kanowna 20/10/15 - 20/11/15 (His brother Ernest was KIA 7/8/1915 Gallipoli)

(See newspaper article re fishing-boat donated to him & another disabled soldier in 1927)

Died 30/1/1940 at home in Balmoral Beach, Sydney, NSW, age 46 (Northern Suburbs Crematorium)]

Address (Apr 1921): C/- Frank Cluett Esq, Carinya Cottage, Bayview, NSW

No children (unable, due to husband’s condition)

Still living Balmoral Beach, Mosman, Sydney 1967

Died 1974 NSW

The British Journal of Nursing, Apr 21, 1917:

APPOINTMENTS

NIGHT SUPERINTENDENT

City of Westminster Union Infirmary, Fulham Road, S.W. – Miss M.R.M. Boniface has been appointed Night Superintendent. She was trained at the St Marylebone Infirmary, and has been Staff Nurse at Charing Cross Hospital, Night Superintendent and Labour Sister at the East End Mothers’ Home, Sister at a private hospital in Melbourne, and at St Margaret’s Hospital, Sydney, and Bush Nurse at Meeniyan, Gippsland, Victoria. She has also had experience of private and Military nursing and is a certified masseuse.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 8 Sept 1919:

SCARBOROUGH

ANOTHER RED CROSS HOME

OPENED BY LADY DAVIDSON

‘The Red Cross Society looked after the Diggers and continues to look after them. Its good work will live for ever. My best wishes for the soldiers’ home. Nothing is too good for the Diggers.’ (Signed William Hughes).

The foregoing telegraphic message from the Prime Minister was read on Saturday afternoon by Sergeant-major Furay at the official opening of a Red Cross Convalescent Home for Soldiers at Dolls Point, Sandringham, ……………………………………………………

………………………………………………………………..

The home is staffed by the V.A.D.s of Bexley, St George (Rockdale), and Cronulla. Their work is carried on under the direction of Sister Boniface, RRC, matron, who, while attached to the Queen Alexandra Imperial Army Nursing Reserve, saw service in France. The sister coadjutrix is Sister H.M. Pierce, of the Australian Army Medical Corps, who served in Egypt.

…………………………………………………………………………………..

Thanks Frev

will add them in assp :rolleyes:

Jenny

just found this for you Frev

Medal card of Bartleet, Florence M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Belgian Unit British Red Cross Nursing Sister

British Red Cross Society Matron

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Matron

by searching with BARTL* in surname and then the word sister or nurse

this method seems to turn up a few when you cant seem to find them 1st off

Jenny

I had been wondering about that Jim - but thought if she did die of TB, that she possibly contracted it pre-war, during her time at 'Kalvra' - and therefore wouldn't be eligible. I had meant to pass her over to you to see if you had anything else on her(as I don't think you gave her to me in your original list?) - but you know how I get side-tracked so easily :innocent:

I guess her death certificate would be the first step?

Cheers, Frev

I have seen records of British nurses who have died of TB it having been noted as having contracted it on war service and they have been commemorated. But who knows where and when a disease such as that is contracted. I guess that each case is looked on it's own merits. But if she didn't appear to have TB when taken on the strength following a medical and she died soon after finishing her service I would have thought it a good case.

Thank you Sue - I thought it was more likely she received the ARRC - and it's interesting to see that it was actually sent back to her home state for presentation (A.M.D.4: Australian Military District 4 being Sth Australia).

Frev

In this context A.M.D.4 is actually a department of the British War Office - Army Medical Department, and followed by 1, 2, 3, 4 etc., - A.M.D.4 was the department that dealt with all the administration of the British military nursing services.

Sue

just found this for you Frev

Medal card of Bartleet, Florence M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Belgian Unit British Red Cross Nursing Sister

British Red Cross Society Matron

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve Matron

by searching with BARTL* in surname and then the word sister or nurse

this method seems to turn up a few when you cant seem to find them 1st off

Jenny

Hi Jenny

Unfortunately, the medal card for BARTLEET, Florence M – would more likely be for Florence Marian BARTLEET, ARRC – a highly decorated British nurse who served with the QAIMNSR during WW1 & whose obituary can be found in the Dec 1934 British Journal of Nursing [there is also a service record for her]

Cheers, Frev

I have seen records of British nurses who have died of TB it having been noted as having contracted it on war service and they have been commemorated. But who knows where and when a disease such as that is contracted. I guess that each case is looked on it's own merits. But if she didn't appear to have TB when taken on the strength following a medical and she died soon after finishing her service I would have thought it a good case.

Jim - just downloading her service record now - and we'll see what it has to say.

Cheers, Frev

Frev

In this context A.M.D.4 is actually a department of the British War Office - Army Medical Department, and followed by 1, 2, 3, 4 etc., - A.M.D.4 was the department that dealt with all the administration of the British military nursing services.

Sue

Thanks for the clarification Sue - bit of a weird coincidence! Cheers, Frev

More for you Jenny:

Perhaps someone can throw some more light on Sister Booth:

BOOTH, ? – Sister, QAIMNSR

Served with Beardsmore Smith (matron in chief QAIMNS) for 2 years during the war

[2 QAIMNSR Brit MCs: Staff Nurse Anna H Booth (nee Dunlop) / P.B Booth]

[11 SRs: including Anna Booth; Prudence Booth]

see article in The Register 23/12/1924:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64051936?searchTerm=booth&searchLimits=l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd=23|||frommm=12|||fromyyyy=1924|||todd=23|||tomm=12|||toyyyy=1924|||l-title=%7C89|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*

Two records you have:

BRECHT, E.B. & THORNTON, E.B – these were actually the same person

THORNTON, Eva Blanche – QAIMNSR

[No Brit MC; SR for Eva Brecht]

Born 1881 Muswellbrook, NSW – daughter of Sylvester Louis & Mary Agnes

Family living Thorndale, Muswellbrook, NSW in 1914

Siblings (all born Muswellbrook): Herbert S b.1882; Francis M b.1884;

Reginald Thomas b.1886 – WW1: Sgt 644 (MC & Bar), 1st FAB, AIF

Embarked on the Karoola 18/12/1915

Served 1st Birmingham War Hospital

Married William Louis Carl BRECHT 10/9/1918 at St Jude’s Church in Kensington, England

[born 1881 Rosemount, near Muswellbrook, NSW – son of William Louis Carl & Sarah (nee Kibble)

WW1: 380 / Lieut, 3rd Pioneers, AIF – RTA 27/5/19 on the Rio Pardo – disemb Sydney 24/7/19

Died 18/9/1939 at a private hospital in Sydney, NSW, age 58 – cremated Beresfield Crematorium]

Eva’s address in England after marriage: Eversleigh Court Hotel, 109 Cromwell Rd, Kensington

She returned to Australia on the ‘family ship’ Osterley – embarking England 21/5/1919 – disembarking No. 1 Wharf, Woolloomooloo, Sydney on the 8/7/1919

Children: William John b.10/4/1922 Sydney, NSW – served WW2

1930, 1936 Electoral Rolls: Allandale, Maitland, NSW (Wm listed as a manager; Eva – home duties)

Electoral rolls – 1943, 1949, 1954, 1958: 9 High St, Newcastle (Eva, home duties) – also with her in 1949 & 1954, William John, mechanical engineer

Died 13/3/1963 at the Lady Gowrie Hospital, Gordon (reg. Chatswood, NSW) – late of Newcastle

BRIDGEMAN, K – correct spelling BRIDGMAN:

BRIDGMAN, Kate – Sister, QAIMNSR

Born 28/7/1878 Port Adelaide, SA – daughter of William BRIDGMAN & Mary Ann MARLOR, who married 23/5/1874 Port Adelaide

Siblings (all born Port Adelaide): Frederick b.7/3/1875 Lipson St; Harriett b.14/1/1877; Emma b.23/5/1881; John Samuel b.27/8/1883 – WW1: Lieut, 28th Bn, AIF; Jessie b.3/9/1885 – marr R.R. Stuckey (Under-Treasurer) – d.1942; William b.9/8/1889

Embarked 15/5/1915 on the Mooltan for Egypt to join the QAIMNSR

RTA 9/1/1920 on the Megantic – which arrived at Fremantle 13/2/1920 [ANA series no. MT1487/1 – Sister K Bridgman, QAIMNSR – for Perth]

[December 1920 passed ATNA Exams – Obstetrics, Queen’s Home, SA: Kate Bridgman]

1925 Electoral Roll: 55 Lincoln St, Nth Perth – nurse

Matron of School House, Guildford Grammar, WA c1926 – 1933

Married Donald Marsden Reginald COLLISSON early 1934 at Swan, WA (when she was 55)

[Donald b.Dec Qtr 1889 London – son of Rev Reginald Kingsmill COLLISSON & Katherine Elizabeth GAMBLE (the family emigrated to Australia in 1896 – living Crafers, SA in 1916)

Schoolmaster, Guildford Grammar, WA

WW1: Pte 5546, 28th Bn

Died 13/1/1954 Swan, WA, age 64]

1949 ER: Grammar School, East Guildford, WA (Donald – school master, Kate – home duties)

1954 ER: 56 Swan St, East Guildford, WA (Kate – home duties)

Died 3/4/1954 at Royal Perth Hospital, WA, age 75

Cremated Karrakatta Cemetery

The West Australian, Fri 15 Dec 1933:

SPEECH NIGHTS

Guildford Grammar School

…………………………………………………………………..

Staff Changes

…………………………………………….

The other staff changes contemplated for 1934 are that Mr Collisson should be transferred to Henn’s House and Mr F.W. Johnson become house master of School House. Sister Bridgman, who has been matron of School House for the past seven years, has tendered her resignation in view of her approaching marriage. Boys and their parents will remember with gratitude Sister Bridgman’s kindness and attention. We wish her every happiness and are glad that, though her duties cease, the school will still retain her interest and assistance.

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Thur 28 Dec 1933:

SOCIAL

Mrs R Stuckey, of Fullarton, accompanied by her daughter Joan, will leave by the Manunda tomorrow for Western Australia. They intend to be present at the wedding of Miss Bridgman to Mr Donald Collisson.

The West Australian, Thur 14 Jan 1954:

DEATHS

COLLISSON: On Jan 13, 1954, Donald M., after a short illness, dear husband of Kate, late of Guildford Grammar School. To be Privately cremated today. No flowers by request.

The West Australian, Mon 5 Apr 1954:

DEATHS

COLLISSON: On April 3, 1954, at Royal Perth Hospital, Kate widow of the late Donald M.R. Collisson, of Guildford Grammar School, formerly member of the Queen Alexander Imperial Nursing Service (First World War) and sister Guildford Grammar School.

The West Australian, Tue 6 Apr 1954:

FUNERALS

COLLISSON: A service for the late Mrs Kate Collisson, widow of Donald M.R. Collisson, of the Guildford Grammar School, will be conducted by the Ven Archdeacon Freeth, at the School Chapel, THIS (Tuesday) MORNING at 10 o’clock, to be followed by a Private Cremation at Karrakatta.

Hi Jenny (and Mrs Frev)

Great list - I've had a quick look. I have a whole lot more names in my QAIMNSR database to share with you two. Jenny, I will PM you as you are local to me. Mrs Frev might come down to Melbourne one day so we can all meet up.

cheers

Kirsty

:rolleyes: Thanks Frev - I have fixed those ones up

Hi Jenny (and Mrs Frev)

Great list - I've had a quick look. I have a whole lot more names in my QAIMNSR database to share with you two. Jenny, I will PM you as you are local to me. Mrs Frev might come down to Melbourne one day so we can all meet up.

cheers

Kirsty

Kirsty - you know how I hate trudging into the big city - unless of course it's for one of your lecture / book launches :)

However, I'm guessing it'll be a while yet before the next one - so perhaps we may have to organize something sooner - perhaps early in the new year...

Cheers, Frev

Jenny - some more for you:

DILNOT, Emily – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[sR, but no MC]

Born 19/1/1887 Hamilton, Vic – daughter of George DILNOT & Frances Emily WALLIS

Who married in Camberwell, London 20/9/1881 – George (Estate agent) died in 1892 at Hamilton, Vic & Frances 14/6/1937 at Oakleigh, Vic (she’s buried in the Melb Gen Cem)

Siblings: Frances Harriet b.1883 Sand, Vic; Ethel b.1885 Hamilton; Sydney George b.1889 Hamilton; Arthur Henry b.23/9/1890 Hamilton, Vic – WW1: Dvr 31401, 36th HAB, AIF – d.3/5/1941 Vic

By 1901, aged 14, she is living with her mother (b. c1852 Brixton; Lodging Housekeeper) & 10 year old brother Arthur in Herne Bay, Christchurch, Kent, England

In 1912, as a 25 year old nurse, she returns to Australia on the Runic, arriving Sydney 2/12/1912 (destined for Sth Yarra)

Working as a nurse at Mena Hospital, 19 Simpson St, East Melbourne, in 1914

WW1 Service:

Travelled to England on the Omrah with her mother, arriving 16/6/1916

Stationed at Central Military Hospital, Fort Pitt, Chatham, England in 1919

Returned to Australia on the Friedrichsruhe, embarking 9/7/1919 [ANA series no. MT1487/1]

Resident 151 Albert St, Windsor, Vic 1919 (Home duties)

Nursing, and living with her mother at St Albans, 13 Palmer St, Oakleigh, Vic 1924, 1931, 1936

Arthur Henry (traveller) with them 1931, 1936

Her mother died 1937 & she is by herself in 1942 at above address

Trips to England:

Travelled to England on the Ulysses, arriving 9/12/1935 (Occ: Home duties)

To England on the Ascanius, arriving Liverpool 4/1/1939 (via Capetown & Madeira)

Died Sept Qtr 1984 Wandsworth, London, age 97

DODERY, Florence Mary – Sister, QAIMNSR – RRC (1st Class)

[MC & SR]

Born 29/12/1870 Longford, Tas – daughter of George Webb DODERY & Isabella HENRY

Nursing St Kilda, Vic 1909

Served on the HS Gloucester Castle, also General Hospitals at Alexandria, Egypt & Salonika, Greece

Still nursing 1943

Died September 1958 St Kilda, age 88

Cremated Springvale Botanical Cemetery 10/9/1958 – Boronia Wall Niche (L, 56)

Examiner (Launceston, Tas), Sat 26 Oct 1918:

ABOUT PEOPLE

Word has been received that Sister Florence Dodery, of Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Nursing Service Reserve, has been awarded the Royal Red Cross of the first-class for service in Egypt. Sister Dodery, who is at present in Salonika, is a grand-daughter of Mrs Wm Dodery, of “Lauraville,” Longford.

EBER – Acting Matron, QAIMNSR – RTA on Megantic 9/1/1920 (for Tas) [ANA series no. MT1487/1]

[no MC or SR found]

EDGELL, Theodora Grace – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[MC & SR]

Born 1870 St Leonards, NSW – daughter of Henry EDGELL & Charlotte Packer Gordon

1903 ER: Nurse – Melbourne Hospital

1913 ER: Nurse – Mundoolun, Qld

Nursing in Brisbane before departing for England

Embarked for England on the SS Runic 25/3/1914, arriving 12/5/1914

Enlisted as a Staff Nurse in the QAIMNSR 1/9/1915 London – discharged 15/4/1916

From an Application for Grant in respect of Service in the Imperial Army, 1920 [ANA file P1868]:

Reason for going to England:

“To see England & take up nursing for a while abroad. When war was declared I gave in my name to the Red Cross Society of Harrow, Middlesex, England, where I was staying with cousins (The Misses Edgell, 15 Lyon Rd, Harrow). But independently obtained the position of ‘Sister’ at the Auxiliary Military Hospital, Waverley Abbey, Farnham, Surrey, working there from 9th Oct 1914 to 15th June 1915. Being anxious to join the AIF, I went to London & applied to Dr Norris at Commonwealth Bureau, but he told me it was impossible to enlist without returning to Australia. Sir John McCall asked me to act as a Senior Sister in No. 6 Australian Hospital, S Kensington till the arrival of two sisters from Australia. I did so, working under Miss Lempriere & then Miss Pratt from 21st July 1915 to 1st Sept 1915 when Sisters Marchant & Christianson from Australia came. I had been accepted as member of QAIMNSR by Miss Beaches, Matron in Chief at the War Office & had to report at Queen Mary’s M Hospital, Whalley, Lancashire 1st Sept 1915, thence I was sent on HMHS ‘Massilia’ to Salonika, Lemnos & Gallipoli, whence we took about 700 sick & wounded 2nd and 3rd Dec 1915, & conveyed them to Malta & Gibralta. Later I was invalided at Malta, having contracted diphtheria from the soldiers, but resumed duty, working at an Officer’s Hospital Sliema, Malta, till recalled to England in HMHS ‘Egypt’, as I had been obliged, unwillingly, to resign, in order to return to Australia on account of shortage of nurses there & serious & protracted illness in my sister’s family. Final payments were made me by the War Office, London, on 9th May 1916 & I sailed for Australia on the 13th May 1916.”

Returned to Australia on the Matura, embarking 13/5/1916, and arriving 30/6/1916

Resident in Campbell Town, Tas in 1919, 1920

Matron of Campbell Town Hospital

1928 ER: Nurse – Toosey Hospital, Longford, Tas

Travelled to England on the Barrabool, arriving London 24/4/1929 (Nurse, age 58)

1943, 1949, 1954 ERs: Home duties – 7 South Esk Rd, Launceston West, Tas

FAIRLAND, Clare (Claribel) – Nurse, British Red Cross / Sister, QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

Claribel was born 6/2/1887 in Qld – daughter of William Miller FAIRLAND & Elizabeth ADNAM – who married in Ashfield, NSW 21/4/1875. Wm d.10/9/1921 at his residence Erigola, Hunter’s Hill, NSW

Siblings: Charles A b.1877 Paddington, NSW; Reginald Ward b.1881-d.1882; Muriel I b.1883 Paddington; Twins Gladys & Doris b.1890 Ryde

Trained at Sydney Hospital

WW1 Service:

Proceeded to England in 1914 at her own expense to join the British nursing service

Served in France – first at Rennes with the BRC – before later joining the QAIMNSR

RTA 15/11/1919 on the Ormonde [ANA series no. MT1487/1]

1924 on – Baby Welfare Branch of the Board of Health

Died 22/1/1929 at her residence Erigola, Hunters Hill, NSW

Buried in the Waverley Cemetery (C of E Sect)

The British Journal of Nursing, Nov 7, 1914:

THE BRITISH RED CROSS SOCIETY

The following unit left London for Rennes on Saturday, October 31st:-

Misses ……………………………….. C. Fairland, ………………………….

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 3 Jan 1920:

PERSONAL

Sister Clare Fairland, daughter of Mr and Mrs W.M. Fairland, of Hunter’s Hill, arrived by the RMS Ormonde after having been away for five years on active service with the Imperial forces.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Thur 24 Jan 1929:

DEATHS

FAIRLAND – January 22, 1929, at her residence, Erigola, North-parade, Hunter’s Hill, Claribel (Clare), third daughter of the late William M. Fairland. (Late nursing sister of British Imperial Forces.)

FUNERALS

FAIRLAND – The Friends of Mr C.A. FAIRLAND, the Misses FAIRLAND, Mrs STEVENS, and Mrs BOLTON, are invited to attend the Funeral of their beloved SISTER, Claribel (Clare) Fairland; to leave her residence, Erigola, North-parade, Hunter’s Hill, THIS THURSDAY, at 2.45pm for Church of England Cemetery, Waverley. Motor Funeral.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 30 Jan 1929:

MISS CLARE FAIRLAND

Miss Clare Fairland, who served as a nursing sister during the war, died recently at Mosman. Miss Fairland was trained at Sydney Hospital, and at the declaration of war offered her services to the Commonwealth authorities. As no definite arrangement had at the time been made for nurses she decided to proceed to London at her own expense. On arrival in England she joined up with the British Red Cross, and was accepted as a nurse. She performed war service until 1919, and since her return to Australia in January 1920, had been engaged in nursing. Since 1924 she had been associated with the Board of Health as a sister in the baby welfare branch, and had been stationed at various centres in the State. She was the third daughter of the late Mr W.M. Fairland, for many years secretary of the Sydney School of Arts.

FITZSIMONS, Margaret Lucy – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

Born 1872 Ballarat East – daughter of Henry FITZSIMONS & Margaret Ann CROKER, who married in Vic in 1868 – Margaret died 3/5/1926 East Brunswick – Henry pre-deceased her

Siblings: Mary Ann b.1869 Burwood; Michael James b.1871 Blackwood; (WA 1926); Rosina b.1873 Tylden – marr REARDON; Elizabeth b.1875 Trentham – d.1879 (9m); Julia b.1876 Kyneton – d.1882 (6); Henry b.1877 – d.1893 Kyneton, age 15; Elizabeth b.1878 Trentham; Thomas William b.1879 Trentham – d.1880 (4m); John Patrick b.1881 Trentham – Horsetrainer – WW1: Pte 5074, 7th Bn – d.1961 Nort, age 80; William Thomas b.1882 Trentham – d.1954 Echuca, age 71; Julia Elizabeth b.1883 Trentham; Arthur Edward b.1885 Trentham – d.1945 Bendigo, age 56

Working Women’s Hospital, Carlton in 1909

Nurse in Kyneton 1942 , Blackwood, Vic 1949

Died 13/6/1952 at Blackwood (reg. Trentham), age 79

The Argus (Melb), Wed 5 May 1926:

DEATHS

FITZSIMONS – On the 3rd May, 1926, at her residence, 111 Park street, East Brunswick, Margaret, the dearly beloved wife of the late Henry Fitzsimons, of East Trentham, loving mother of Michael (W.A.), Margaret (late of the Q.A.I.M.N.S.R.), Rosina (Mrs T Reardon), John (A.I.F., Birchip), Julia, William, and Arthur (Bendigo), devoted sister of W.L. Croker (Blackwood), aged 80 years. (Perth papers please copy).

May her soul rest in peace.

The Argus, Tue 17 Jun 1952:

DEATHS

FITZSIMONS – On June 13, at Blackwood, Margaret Lucy, eldest daughter of the late Henry and Margaret, loving sister of Rose (Mrs R Reardon), John, William, and Julie – R.I.P.

[sR, no MC]

[AWM Medical file: AWM12, 5229/3 Part 3]

FOGARTY, Loretto Johanna – Sister, QAIMNSR

[brit MC & SR]

Born 8/3/1886 Williamstown, Vic – daughter of Patrick Alexander FOGARTY & Mary Ann Josephine GLEESON – who married in Vic in 1884. Mary d.1901 Hopetown, Vic, age 44

Siblings: Vincent Patrick b.&d.1885 Williamstown; Eileen Marie d.1890 (17m) Brunswick

1909 Electoral Roll: Nurse, Melbourne Hospital [Loretto]

1914 ER: Weinberg Rd, Hawthorn – nurse [Loretto Josephine]

RTA, embarking Tilbury 20/3/1920 on the Ormonde (for Melb) [ANA series no. MT1487/1]

Loretto travels to Canada sometime between 1920 & 1924

On the 21/4/1932, New York, Loretto Johanna Fogarty is listed in the US Naturalization Records Index

Loretto J Fogarty, age 46 [b.c1887] travelled on the Majestic from New York to England, arriving Southampton 26/7/1933

1949 ER: 22 Havelock Rd, Camberwell – nurse [Loretto Johanna]

1954 ER: 3 Homebush Cres, Auburn – nurse

1956 – Loretto embarks at Melbourne, and travels to Dublin, Ireland (nurse, b.8/3/1886) on the Iberia, arriving Tilbury, London 26/2/1956 – with the intention of staying for a year – uncertain of her future permanent residence

1968 – 77 3 Albion St, Balaclava [Loretto Josephine]

Applied for Repat 1960 [ANA series no. MT1487/1]

Died 1977 Surrey Hills, Vic, age 91

Notes:

[bDM Index shows Loreth Johanna]

FYFE, Jean (Jane Annie) – (RRC?) –Sister / Matron, QAIMNSR / General Hospital

[Jean: Brit MC & SR]

Jane Annie was born in 1870 at Casterton, Vic – daughter of James FYFE & Ellen WHELAN

[known mostly as Jean]

Siblings: Mary Jane b.&d.1867 Melb; William Henry b.1868 The Lodden – d.1869 Cast (6m); James b.1872 Cast; Mary b.1875 Cast; Isabella b.1878 Lodd; John Henry b.1880 Cmaine;

Trained at Adelaide Hospital

Charge Nurse, Ophthalmic Ward, Adelaide Hosp – resigned Feb 1897 in protest over treatment of staff members & patients

Matron, Kapunda Hospital, SA - 1898

Sister, Perth Hospital

Matron of Kalgoorlie Government Hospital

At Guy’s Hospital, London – doing a post-graduate course – when war broke out & she joined the QAIMNSR

WW1 Service:

Served France – No. 9 General Hospital, Rouen – Hospital Ship, St George – No. 7 General Hospital, St Omer – Casualty Clearing Stations

Returned to Australia on the Roda 8/5/1919

Returned to duty at the Kalgoorlie Hospital until May 1930, when she retired

Jean

1903 Electoral Roll: Hospital, Geraldton, matron

[visited England in 1909]

1910 ER: Bunbury Hospital, matron

1925 ER: Kalgoorlie Government Hospital, matron

Jane Annie

1931 ER: 682 Beaufort St, Maylands, Perth (home duties)

1936 ER: 6 Ord St, West Perth – matron

1943 ER: 13 Colin St, West Perth (HD)

Died 14/2/1948 Perth, WA, age 78 (reg. Jane A)

Cremated Karrakatta Cemetery and ashes scattered over garden (reg. Jane Annie)

The West Australian, Thur 18 Mar 1909:

SOCIAL NOTES

Miss Fyfe, matron of the Government Hospital, left for England by the Runic on Monday. Prior to her departure a number of friends entertained her to a farewell tea on the Hospital lawn. Among those present were …………………………. Mr and Mrs K.M. Eastman gave a farewell garden party to Miss Fyfe at Illawarra on Friday last. After afternoon tea Mr Eastman, in a delightful speech, wished Miss Fyfe bon-voyage and presented her, on behalf of her friends, with a handsome silver hand-mirror and a silver manicure-set. Among those present were …………………………….

The West Australian, Tue 15 Mar 1910:

SOCIAL NOTES

Miss Fyfe, who has been matron of the Bunbury Hospital for four years, has been transferred to Coolgardie. Miss Fyfe will be much missed. Miss Andrews succeeds her.

Sunday Times (Perth), Sun 18 Oct 1914:

From the “British Australasian”: - Miss A.W. Fisher, who holds nursing and first-aid certificates, is among the volunteers. Sister Harvey and Nurse Fyfe, the latter of whom is an experienced hospital matron, while the former has had considerable valuable experience, have offered their services for the war, as has also Miss L.C. Dorrington, of Perth, who is a fully-trained nurse. Miss Florence Piesse, daughter of the late Hon. F.H. Piesse, C.M.G., who has had experience of ambulance work, has offered her services as an assistant to trained nurses, and Mrs Arthur Bennett and Miss Sutherland, also of West Australia, have offered to assist in any department where they can be of use.

The West Australian, Tue 19 Jan 1915:

NOTES FROM LONDON

(From a Correspondent)

London, Dec 11

Nurse Fyfe, matron of the Kalgoorlie Hospital, who has been in England for some time, has entered one of the military hospitals in France.

Kalgoorlie Western Argus, Tue 12 Oct 1915:

Nurse Fyfe, former matron of the Kalgoorlie Hospital is now on the staff of the British Military Hospital at Rouen. She is now in London on leave.

The West Australian, Fri 14 Apr 1916:

PERSONAL

Nurse Fyfe, formerly matron of the Kalgoorlie Hospital, and now on active service with the nursing staff at the front, writes to the Agent-General, London, under date February 26: - “You will be pleased to know that I have gained promotion, having been engaged as staff nurse, November 14, 1914. In December 1914, I was made Sister, and had charge of the ophthalmic department. In June 1915, I was appointed assistant matron to No. 9 General Hospital, 720 beds, expanding to 1,000; and on September 25 was appointed matron to the hospital ship St George. Of course, it is understood these appointments are merely temporary, but I am proud of them, as I gained them on my own merits.”

Western Argus (Kalgoorlie), Tue 9 Mar 1926:

A LADY’S LETTER

Matron Fyfe, of the Government Hospital, returned to Kalgoorlie on Tuesday after four months spent in the eastern States. During her absence Miss Fyfe studied the latest methods of infant care at the training schools for infant welfare nurses at Sydney.

Western Argus (Kalgoorlie), Tue 20 Dec 1927:

A LADY’S LETTER

Matron Watt, of Bunbury Hospital, is at present in charge of the Kalgoorlie Government Hospital. Miss Fyfe, the former matron, sailed recently for England, where she will spend a year before returning to an appointment in Perth.

The West Australian, Tue 20 May 1930:

SOCIAL NOTES

On Wednesday night, May 14, a reunion of ex-Kalgoorlie Government Hospital nurses was held at the home of Mrs J. Stewart, Mt Lawley, in honour of Miss Jean Fyfe, who recently retired from the Medical Department. The gathering was representative, including nurses who did strenuous work under trying conditions in early Coolgardie days, and some who only recently completed their training. After supper, Miss F. Stewart, on behalf of ex-trainees of Kalgoorlie Government Hospital, presented Miss Fyfe with a cheque as token of their esteem, and referred to messages of goodwill, received from members of the fraternity in country districts of Western Australia. Miss Fyfe received her general training at the Adelaide Hospital, served as a sister at Perth Hospital, and later became matron of Kalgoorlie Government Hospital. At the outbreak of the Great War she was doing a post-graduate course at Guy’s Hospital, London. On November 14, 1914, she joined up with the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve with the appointment of assistant-matron at No. 9 General Hospital, Rouen. She was later matron of the hospital ship St George, in charge of No. 7 General Hospital, St Omer, and of casualty clearing stations behind the lines. For her war work she was awarded the R.R.C.

The Advertiser (Adelaide), Tue 16 Nov 1937:

SA Nurses In The West

………………………………………..

Many South Australians for instance will remember Miss Jean Fyfe, the first trained matron of Kapunda Hospital. Sister Fyfe was charge nurse at Kalgoorlie Hospital, and rendered notable war service as matron of No. 7 general hospital at Rouen in 1915. ………………………..

The West Australian, Tue 17 Feb 1948:

DEATHS

FYFE: On February 14, 1948, at Perth, Jean Fyfe, formerly Matron of Kalgoorlie and Northam Hospitals, and Nursing Sister, 1st World War; aged 78 years. A Private Service was held in the Crematorium Chapel, Karrakatta, on February 16, 1948.

FYFE: A sincere tribute to the memory of our matron (Miss Fyfe), who passed away February 14, 1948. Kalgoorlie Ex-Trainees’ Assoc., Mrs E Breydon, Pres.; Mrs J. McIntyre, Sec.

The West Australian, Sat 8 Jul 1950:

Legacy To Aid Nurses

In February a legacy from the estate of the late Matron Jean Fyfe, an amount of 89pounds 16/1, was left to the Society for the Care of Aged or Incapacitated Nurses. Miss Fyfe, who was matron of the Kalgoorlie Hospital for many years, wished her legacy to be used to provide some useful addition to Eleanor Harvey House in Claremont, and that such an addition should bear her name. This was stated in the report red at the recent annual meeting of the society.

Cheers for now, Frev

Some more detail for you on Mary Greene:

GREENE, Mary Wentworth – Staff Nurse, QAIMNSR

[brit MC, no SR under Greene or Philip]

Born 1886 Kyneton – daughter of William Wentworth GREENE & Janet McGREGOR – who married in Ballarat 9/2/1880

[born c1846 in Dublin, William came to Vic with his parents in 1853, and was educated at Ballarat – a Barrister-at-law, he was appointed Police Magistrate for N.W. Vic in 1890, until he retired in 1911 – he remarried, to Elizabeth A.J. Burstall 31/3/1911 Bendigo – living Moonee Ponds 1915 – he died 7/11/1920 Essendon, age 74 & is buried at Fawkner Memorial Park]

Siblings: Francis John b.1881 Scarsdale – d.1952; Kathleen/Katharine b1882 – d.1963; Rawdon William b.1883 Smythesdale – d. Mar 1975; Charlotte Sylvia b.23/6/1885 Smythesdale – WW1: Staff Nurse, AANS – d.1964; Helen Isabel b.21/5/1888 Kyneton – marr WANLISS – d.1969; Thomas William Wentworth b.2/10/1893 Wedderburn (reg.1894 Mt Korong) – WW1, Pte 1652, 49th Bn (enl Qld) – KIA 5/4/1918 France; John Paul Tenison b.1895 Inglewood – d. Oct 1916

1909 ER: Inglewood (HD)

1914 ER: 88 Hotham St, E St Kilda – nurse (also Helen Isabel – singing teacher)

1914 ER (also): Alfred Hospital, Prahran – nurse

WW1 Service:

Embarked 15/5/1915 on the Mooltan to join the QAIMNSR

Served Ras-el-Tin Military Hospital, Alexandria until October 1915

Then on transport duty on SS Andania to England

On return to Egypt, she was then transferred to the HS Dunvegan Castle in the Mediterranean

1st Jan 1916 she was posted to one of the Military Hospitals in Alexandria, where she remained until her marriage a month later

[ANA series no. MT1487/1 – M.W. Greeve]

Married William Swan Philip (2nd Lieut, RFA) 3/2/1916 at the British Consulate, & afterwards at St Mark’s Church, Alexandria

[William Swan Philip b.18/3/1883 Harrow, Vic – son of John PHILIP & Catherine SWAN – WW1 (British forces – acting Captain, RFA) & WW2 (AIF) – d. Sept 1963 – cremated Springvale Cemetery & ashes scattered]

Mary returned to Australia in 1916

1919 ER: 78 Hotham St, Orrong, Vic (Wm – Grazier)

1924 ER: Birchip (Wm – Grazier)

1931, 1936 ER: "Babadee", 17 Hare St, Echuca (Wm – Grazier)

1943 ER: 17 Grace St, Gardiner (Fawkner) (Wm – soldier / also Pauline Swan Philip – clerk)

1949 ER: 43 Monomeath Ave, Deepdene (Wm – industrial worker) – moved to Osborne Ave, Malvern in Feb 1950

1954 ER: 23 Osborne Ave, Malvern (Wm – timber worker / also Pauline –secretary / Margaret Tenison Philip – nurse)

Died April 1964 Glen?, Vic

Buried 9/4/1964 Springvale Botanical Cemetery (T.G. Allen Lawn)

The Argus, Mon 13 Mar 1916:

MARRIAGES

PHILIP – GREENE – On the 3rd February, at the British Consulate, and afterwards at St Mark’s Church, Alexandria, Egypt, by the Rev. Dr Morton, Mary Wentworth, 3rd daughter of W. Wentworth Greene, of Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, to 2nd Lieut W.S. Philip, RFA, second son of Mr and Mrs John Philip, of Englefield, Balmoral, Victoria.

Not on the list:

GREER, Emily May – QAIMNSR

[No MC or SR found]

Born Jun Qtr 1883 Bedminster, Gloucestershire, England – daughter of William Buchanan (b.Ireland, school master, d.1/7/1923 Qld) & Emily (d.1930 NSW)

Of Southport, Qld (living Qld by 1887)

Sibling: (only son) William Wells b.c1877 Eng – (MC, MD, FRCS) – marr Roberta C. – d.1/7/1933 “The Red House” Bedfont, England; Kathleen A. b.c1881 Eng

1908 ER: Nurse, Children’s Hospital, Ithica, Brisbane

WW1 Service:

Sailed to England in March 1915 and joined the QAIMNSR – attached to a Park Lane Officer’s hospital – then Bramshott Military Hospital

Served Salonica for over two years

Eventually invalided back to England where she served at Trent Bridge Military Hospital, until contracting influenza – returning home after a long rest

1919 ER: Nurse, Southport State School

Married Andrew Sydney ARMSTRONG 19/7/1919 at the Cathedral, Capetown

[? Son of John Robert]

Children: Nonie & Peter

1925 ER: Chillagoe, Qld (Andrew – metallurgist; Emily – home duties)

1930 ER: Yumra, North Rocks Rd, Carlingford, NSW (Andrew – poultry farmer; Emily – HD)

Emily May:

1933, 1937 ER: Home duties – Neringah Ave, Wahroonga, NSW

1943 ER: HD – 5 Lansdowne, Beach St, Edgecliff, NSW

Andrew Sydney:

[1937 ER: metallurgist – c/o Rutherglen Gold Dumps, Rutherglen, Vic]

[1943 ER: chemist – 20 Redan St, Mosman, NSW]

[1954 ER: no occup – 4 Rawhiti St, Roseville, NSW]

Died 17/8/1944 in the Riverina District Hospital, Bowral, NSW

Privately cremated

The Brisbane Courier, Thur 4 Sept 1919:

MARRIAGES

ARMSTRONG – GREER – On July 19 (Peace Day), at the Cathedral, Capetown, by the Bishop of North Rhodesia, Andrew Sydney, eldest son of Mr and Mrs J Armstrong, Mosman, Sydney, to Emily May, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs W.B. Greer, Southport.

SOCIAL

Sister E.M. Greer (whose marriage is announced in this issue) was travelling in the East, when war was declared. She returned to Queensland by the first available boat and offered her services to the military authorities in Brisbane. Growing impatient of delays, and feeling, as she had considerable surgical experience, that her services were needed, she went to London in March, 1915, and joined the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service (Reserve), and was attached to a hospital at Park Lane for the treatment of officers who had been gassed. During the winter of 1915-16 she nursed Tommies at Bramshott Military Hospital, where they arrived straight from the trenches in France within 24 hours of being wounded. On volunteering for foreign service she was sent to Salonica, where she served for over two years, and was then invalided to England. Subsequently, while nursing at Trent Bridge Military Hospital, several of the sisters died, and she nearly succumbed to a severe attack of pneumonic influenza. A long rest with friends in England and Scotland restored her health.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 19 Aug 1944:

DEATHS

ARMSTRONG – August 17, 1944, at Bowral, Emily May Armstrong, loved mother of Nonie and Peter. Privately cremated.