Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Holy Mackerel ! Is this a wind up?

shawbridge

Have a look at this and be amazed.

here

items # 2258937673

Be sure to scroll down to see ALL of the items!

Difficult to believe the seller is serious.

It'll be intresting to follow the outcome.

It's also a bit strange that all of the illustration photos for the lots appear to be from different sources. :huh:

This all looks a bit strange? I can remember seeing the unmounted DCM group on ebay before, pictured exactly as it is here. The other medals, as you say seem to have the appearance of being 'cut and pasted' from other sources.

I wonder if the seller really has them????

Buyer beware, but the sellers feedback is good?

Perhaps additional informatiom might appear when he/she is bombarded with questions about naming etc.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
minatures?

NO! - Look at the suspension on the Victory medal.

The question to ask is are they all named, next is to whom?

Ian

Odd that a Seller with these UK Gallantry Groups Chooses to sell in USA Only???

A Rat of the Large Variety is Smelt! Someone who describes themselves as a "Collectables" seller who doesn't even give the information present on the medals?The DCM on the Blue Background was I believe a Norfolk Regt Group being sold from Cornwall about 3~4 Months hence.Caveat Emptor. :ph34r:

Whilst the seller may well be an honest person, the fact that the bid, with just a few days to go is just over £50, seems to suggest that others have some queries about this group. The vendor also appears to be a dealer, yet claims to know nothing about the group. Hmmmm!

Terry reeves

If you look at his other items for sale, they are all for sale in USA only and he claims to know nothing about any of them. Unusual behaviour for a dealer?

They're probably for sale in the USA only because they think they don't need to go outside the USA to sell them; and , they don't. They'll sell.

Next, they could be cheap because they honestly don't know (or care) what they are. Not everyone knows UK medals; most in the US could care less. I'll admit it: up 'til four months ago, I wouldn't have recognized any of those but the Victory Medal.

Now that I know what they are, i regret not buying some examples. I passed on what I now know to be a DCM in Haifa, Israel...the guy wanted $70 and I walked because he wouldn't go down to $40. It was pretty beat up and had only about an inch of ribbon left, but still.

Most will sell overseas if asked even if they list their own country.

I've found much of this is due to concerns over payment time and postal insurance; I have asked on a number of occasions and never been declined.

Perhaps a flurry of bidding will occur nearer the time, although if I bought the lot at anywhere near dealers' or trade prices I would rather fly over for myself or else insist on some form of third party inspection or escrow.

It is odd, however, that many such sellers omit to mention inscription and naming on their medals, or even approximate dates etc. If they were selling a vase, I would assume that they would submit the details on the base etc. even if selling with a photo.

Richard

I sent the seller the following email:

"Dear christycollectibles,

Regarding the medals for auction, would the winning bidder get all the medals illustrated (ie the three sets pictured)? If so, are all the medals named (on the rim or reverse), and could you tell me to whom they are named?

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Upton."

And got the reply:

"Yes, the auction is for all three groups of medals. There are names and rankings on the medals, but I did not note them. They are already packaged and at my shipper ready to be shipped when auction ends and I wont be talking to him until Tuesday. I wish I had written the names, but i figured because they were foreign it would not have made much difference in the price they sell for.

Chris."

I plan to send him an email explaining what the medals are, and the benefits of finding out who the medals are to - he seems genuine enough, and his feedback seems to support him.

I sent the seller the following email:

"Dear christycollectibles,

Regarding the medals for auction, would the winning bidder get all the medals illustrated (ie the three sets pictured)? If so, are all the medals named (on the rim or reverse), and could you tell me to whom they are named?

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Upton."

And got the reply:

"Yes, the auction is for all three groups of medals. There are names and rankings on the medals, but I did not note them. They are already packaged and at my shipper ready to be shipped when auction ends and I wont be talking to him until Tuesday. I wish I had written the names, but i figured because they were foreign it would not have made much difference in the price they sell for.

Chris."

I plan to send him an email explaining what the medals are, and the benefits of finding out who the medals are to - he seems genuine enough, and his feedback seems to support him.

But surely if you do this then you wreck anyones chances of getting a bargain?

Or am I missing the point of telling a seller what they have?

Ryan

Interesting....!

The fact that she 'outsources' her shipping suggests she is in for the quick turnover, rather than maximising her profit from each item, hence not taking the time over these (or it's a convenient way of avoiding giving any further descriptions on 'dodgy' items!!).

I would agree with Ryan, the lack of info is potentially a good thing for UK collectors, as is the 'US only' bit if you can get her to agree to send them to the UK, as many UK bidders (me included until I read the comments above!!) wouldn't even ask.

This was only a three day auction, so is less than a day in. By day three I think you'll find the price will have reached a more reasonable level, medal values less some for the lack of recipient info, but they must be worth a punt by the gamblers amongst you, surely !!

I got the same reply as Andrew

There are names and rankings on the medals, but I did not note them. They are already packaged and at my shipper ready to be shipped when auction ends and I wont be talking to him until Tuesday. I wish I had written the names, but ifigured because they were foreign it would not have made much difference in the price they sell for.

Makes you wonder

Steve

Now if I was the seller I would withdraw them as are my rights as a seller, check out the names etc and relist separately...

Of course this could be a big ploy and in fact they know what they have and have 'buddies' to stick the value up for them ensuring that if they don't sell for the value they want they 'keep them in the family' for another day.

Or am I just a cynic? I just don't think its that easy folks.

Ryan

Of course this could be a big ploy and in fact they know what they have and have 'buddies' to stick the value up for them ensuring that if they don't sell for the value they want they 'keep them in the family' for another day.

It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to when sticking a reserve on the items would have the same effect.

Andy

The photo of the Military Medal group has definitely been used on a previous eBay auction. You can tell this because the current eBay picture loading system inserts a little ghost camera icon at the bottom right of the photo. The Military Medal group does have the camera icon at the bottom right of the photo but it is superimposed onto the previous eBay picture loading system icon ( which was something like ' iPIX ' ). This means that this actual photo has been used twice.

Now, this begs the question.....Where did the seller get this photo from? It's obviously not a recent photo of the medals. If the seller claims not to know anything about medals then why would they save a copy of a photo from a medal auction that ended months ago? Or are they selling on behalf of a third party? If so, who, and where did they get these medals from?

There are an awful lot of unanswered questions regarding this auction item, not least of which is: Where did the seller get these medals from?

Why use different photos for the 3 groups?

The DCM group of 6,being court mounted and dipped/polished looks as though it has probably come from a collection rather than a house clearance/junk shop,it all seems very suspect to me.

This person according to their feedback hasn't done business on Ebay since January 04.

Of course it could be as others have suggested that the seller is selling these in ignorance of their true value,but,and for me this is a very big BUT,where did the seller get these medals from?

Stu.

I eventually wrote this reply to the sellers email (I realise now I made a few mistakes regarding the medals, but the gist of it is still OK):

"Dear Chris,

Thankyou for the prompt reply. You should really think seriously about having the package opened up, and the details of each individual medal, not just the recipients name, added to the listing. I found your auction on a WW1 website, where your listing aroused much interest. The group of 3 medals contains a Military Medal (the one with the black, red and white striped ribbon, and it should have "For Bravery in the Field" on the reverse) - the highest gallantry award available to Other Ranks and Non Commissioned Officers during the First World War. If this is genuine (ie all medals as originally issued, and not renamed, or jewellers copies, or later replacements), this set alone is worth some £300-400. The other two sets, if memory serves correct, each contain a Long Service and Good Conduct medal, and are also quite desirable to collectors. The problem lies in that no details are listed, and that you also appear to have used very differnet photos - it looks like the photos have come from different sources - some scurrilous dealers are not above selling items they do not have! If you do get the details of the recipients, take and post a photo of all the medals together - this would allay any fears that you do not have all the medals. If you take my advice, you will make potential sellers much more interested in the medals, and are likely to make a lot more money than if doubt is in their minds. Please do not read this as me saying you do not actually have the medals or are trying to defraud buyers, but the lack of details has created some suspicion in the collecting circles, and more details is likely to increase the bidding for the medals.

Hope this has been of some help, and has not been taken the wrong way,

Andrew Upton."

For such a quick reply to my first email, he's taking his time replying to my second. What with the new information that he's using old ebay photos, I'm not so sure how genuine this guy is anymore :( .

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the medals in the non-MM groups are DCMs or LSGCs? Phil B

For such a quick reply to my first email, he's taking his time replying to my second. What with the new information that he's using old ebay photos, I'm not so sure how genuine this guy is anymore :( .

Lets hope so or any pals in here that were hoping for a bargain have had all chances scuppered :unsure:

I see its at $869 with just over 9 hours remaining; I was going to stay in but just can't afford to do that and do vacation this summer....and I do have to come home at night, after all.

I see a Canadian Medal dealer was in the mix; just watch...a Candian or UK dealer (by proxy) will get this and we'll see 'em listed within the month.

Well it ended on £765 or $1403

Perhaps a 'bargain' for those with pots of disposable cash if the prize was all those medal groups...

Ryan