Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Regiment

Jackie Tedder

Hi all, I am new to this place and although I have managed to find out some information about my gt grandfather, Private Walter William Tedder died 16 April 1917 and is buried in the Feuchy war cemetary in France.

I really need help from the experts

I know he joined the London Regiment on the 3rd of November 1915 but it would be great to find out when he actually started his time on active service. His service number was GS/52333 and he was possibly in his middle to late thirties when he was killed. Another thing that has been puzzeling me is that he was the only soldier from the 2nd battalion to be buried in this cemetary. My uncle said that he died in an ammo shed that was hit by a shell. I have tried to find his army service record but I believe it was one of the records burnt by bombing in WW2. Also I have had trouble finding the war diary for that year. Any information would be greatly valued by me as I have been researching Walter for the past 5 years on and off.

Many thanks

Jackie

Jackie,

Although quite confusing Walter was not in the London Regiment. Have a look at the link here and it may clear it up.

So, he was in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. It seems as though you are initially out of luck with the war diary. There is a thread here listing members who have unit war diaries. It's close, but not enough. This does tell me that it should be available from the National Archives at Kew.

Although I have not seen one, there may be a battalion history. It may be a gamble, but you never know. The chances of Walter be mentioned are pretty slim, but there may be something about the incident. You could look on Naval and Military Press or Amazon, there may be something about.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers Andy.

Jackie,

He is not the only man from the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers who died on 16/4/17.

Robert George Dumbrill and Frank Benjamin Skuse are both buried in Heninel-Croisilles Road Cemetery, which is not far away. Colin Pithouse died of wounds on the 16th and there are a couple of men who died of wounds on the 17th. These may be connected.

Fortunately, the war diary for 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, WO 95/2301, is available via Documents Online (£3-50).

Click here

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy

Info very helpful and very interesting

Jackie,

Although quite confusing Walter was not in the London Regiment. Have a look at the link here and it may clear it up.

So, he was in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. It seems as though you are initially out of luck with the war diary. There is a thread here listing members who have unit war diaries. It's close, but not enough. This does tell me that it should be available from the National Archives at Kew.

Although I have not seen one, there may be a battalion history. It may be a gamble, but you never know. The chances of Walter be mentioned are pretty slim, but there may be something about the incident. You could look on Naval and Military Press or Amazon, there may be something about.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers Andy.

Thank you Phil for taking the time to help me

He is not the only man from the 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers who died on 16/4/17.

Robert George Dumbrill and Frank Benjamin Skuse are both buried in Heninel-Croisilles Road Cemetery, which is not far away. Colin Pithouse died of wounds on the 16th and there are a couple of men who died of wounds on the 17th. These may be connected.

Fortunately, the war diary for 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, WO 95/2301, is available via Documents Online (£3-50).

Click here

Phil