Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie markings and rivet design

Max Poilu

Marcus Cotton - who wrote an excellent piece on Brodies in MM years ago (he has to have credit for the HV identification above) - says "The proposal for the rubber ring was put before the Trench Warfare Section of the Munitions Design Committee on January 26th 1917". A trial run of 1000 helmets was approved the following day. These were made in the last week of February 1917 and large scale production commenced in June.

Rgds,

Joe:

Wasn't looking to contradict - and between February and June makes for April being a pretty good recollection.

Anzac16:

The copy of the article I have was in No. 4 and No. 6 of the UK edition of Militaria Magazine (May and July 1994). The UK version went under in 1996, and I very much doubt back issues are available.

However, the French edition is going strong (www.militariamag.com) and you might find it in their back issue offer, as the UK articles were seemingly published there first.

Grovetown,

I have been looking at that very same article today. It appears in issue No.54 of Armes Militaria (pub Feb 1990), in French language of course. If your French is as bad as mine it is still worthwhile due to the excellent pictures and manufacturer tables.

Armes Militaria is always useful - back issues can be found at all the French fairs, here in the UK I have been lucky to find a dealer selling off all his back issues at 50p each, the normal price is around £4.

Grovetown,

I liked your answer better than mine. Being precise is always better than "winging it".

I have both the English and French Language versions of those articles. The English versions, which were written later, I think benefited from additional research as there is a bit more refined info in them as compared to the French versions.

Due to the excellent quality of "Militaria" translating French to English has become a necessity. I've been fortunate to acquire all but two issues.

Joe Sweeney

Joe:

Thanks for the compliment - it's very much appreciated. I have all the 25 UK issues that were published; but as my French doesn't extend much beyond two beers, a loaf of bread and some swearing, I have always fought shy of the French version.

While you're here: I was refreshing my memory on SD trousers through your great 1919 articles today. And you mentioned the OR breeches article to come (which was about four years ago). So...

Three versions of OR SD breeches? Serge/ bedford cord inserts (cavalry, ASC HT etc); serge/ serge panel reinforcement (as before) and serge/ no panels or inserts (RFC). Is that correct?

And well done for over-paying more than I was prepared to over-pay for that outstanding 03 MT ASC belt recently. I really wanted that, and couldn't believe anyone else would (hence the early so high bid), but when someone sees the definitive item...

Best wishes,

Giles,

Given a bit of time I'll copy the English language versions, I'll let you know when complete.

Grovetown and all others,

A word of warning on those articles I posted on 1919 website. They were written about 10 years ago and at the time heavily relied on secondary sources that have proven to be less than accurate. So beware-- I regret having posted most of the articles--inaccuracies are mostly in dates of introduction, however the content is still fairly reliable. I've since picked up quite a bit of primary documentation through RACD records etc.

As for SD Pantaloons I'll send more detailed info from a book I'm writting (to be published ?).

As for the Pantaloons:

Along with most articles of SD they were pattern approved and introduced in 1901 (not 1902 as most sources state).

Until 1916 they were made of Bedford Cord at first with Leather strappings and then with Cord. Just prior to war leather was again introduced as the material for strappings. Both types were common early in the war.

In 1916 Pantaloons manufactured out of Tartan -Drab Mixture- (same as the SD trousers) were pattern approved. Trousers/Pantaloons were never manufactured out of Serge during this time period.

In 1917 a brush green extension was added to the leg.

Whether the strappings were made out of cord or leather did not affect issue. You got what was available.

The RFC had their own approved pattern of pantaloons that was not part of the above. I have not delved too deeply in RFC stuff yet but I do have the records.

The attached image is of a pair of post 1917 Pantaloons: They are made of Tartan, have the brush green extension and leather strappings. The double brace button arrangement was introduced on all Trousers and Pantaloons during the summer of 1915.

Hope this helps,

Joe Sweeney

The win on the P03 belt was a surprise and a shock to the wallet but still worth the cost.