Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bully beef and biscuits

tootrock

This is where the penknife comes in handy.

App2796.jpg

Chris, can I ask for more information on the provenance of this tin, if it is dated or ?? I ask as I know of another one that is currently for sale at what seems a very reasonable price if it is correct for WW1...

Andrew - I have tried messaging you - I think your box may be full. Have a clear out !

Chris..

Andrew - I have tried messaging you - I think your box may be full. Have a clear out !

Sorry about that, made some more space... :blush:

here's some Oxo tins to start with.

Superb, Chris. I had been convinced (without much evidence) that the magic term 'in cubes' – rather than just 'cubes' – beneath OXO on the tins was an indication of approximate WW1 vintage. Your pictures and text seem to bear this out - would I be correct?

Best wishes

Peter

Superb, Chris. I had been convinced (without much evidence) that the magic term 'in cubes' – rather than just 'cubes' – beneath OXO on the tins was an indication of approximate WW1 vintage. Your pictures and text seem to bear this out - would I be correct?

Best wishes

Peter

Peter - yes, correct, in as much as if it doesn't state 'in cubes', it's post WW1. However, the hinged 'in cubes' tin was made from c1916 to at least 1922, so to be absolutely certain its WW1 or earlier, it needs to also be unhinged... (a bit like me)!

ChrisP

• 1 month later...

Great info love the pictures, I have a biscuit with writing on it HLI 1917 on manoeuvres .

Dan

• 11 years later...
On 06/11/2011 at 17:55, Chris P said:

Heck, Khaki - These things ain't easy to find you know - but here's some Oxo tins to start with.

The cubes first appeared in 1910, & Oxo supplied over 100 million cubes to the military in WW1. Each one was wrapped, & boxed by hand at their London factory; The process wasn't automated until 1922. They also changed to a larger sized cube, & consequently a larger tin in 1929. The tins are actually quite easy to date, once you know. They changed the design countless times over the years, & many overlapped;

Top left is a ten cube tin from around 1910-11, top right a 6 cube from 1911 -12. Middle left a 6 cube from 1912 -16 or thereabouts, & middle right, a 12 cube from the same period. Bottom is a 12 cube from around 1916-22, or maybe until a bit later. The first ones weren't hinged - only the lower one here is a hinged tin.

post-6018-0-56477400-1320601661.jpg

An old thread I know but worthwhile reviving it and adding a bit to it….I can’t resist these little oxo tins whenever I find them going cheap, and have a number of the early ones, so whilst having a tidy up it struck me that I have an oddity amongst them. In the pic below you will notice the middle one has a different style of font, but still the early use of “in cubes”…there used to be a site with quite a bit on info about them but can’t seem to locate it, so anyone willing to have a guess as to date?

Dave.

FCAD5BC7-1DF1-4E37-98FF-3250868C1F2D.jpeg