Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bully beef and biscuits

tootrock

How did the man in the trenches open his tin of Bully Beef?

Was there a little key attached, such as is sometimes found today, or did he require a tin-opener?

And how were ration biscuits packed?

Martin

It was common for soldiers to carry commercially made openers, in lieu of those I suppose the bayonet was used. Sorry not familiar with the products themselves, I am sure others will assist you.

khaki

How did the man in the trenches open his tin of Bully Beef?

Was there a little key attached, such as is sometimes found today, or did he require a tin-opener?

And how were ration biscuits packed?

Martin

I do not think the original pattern did, but I understand later patterns of clasp knife had a can opener blade. Perhaps a collector or holder of a relevant LoC can confirm this.

Ration biscuits were boxed with foil seals to make airtight.

It was common for soldiers to carry commercially made openers, in lieu of those I suppose the bayonet was used..... khaki

My guess is that the bayonet was used more often than not

The soldier in the Great War was a very practical chap. My grandfather drove a lorry in the ASC; open cab with no weather protection at the front or sides. He swore that the biscuits were so hard that they had to nail them to the back of the cab so that the rain could soften them up before they were able to eat them.

Someone else will verify when the clasp knife was introduced, but this was one of its primary uses- opening tins with the tin opener blade made for the purpose.

Dave

It seems that during the Boer war, lots of food was shipped to the British troops in tins. When a replacement knife was designed at the turn of the century, it was decided to incorporate a tin opener. This pattern was known as the 6353/1905, an image of which I enclose.

"many of the pattern 6353/1905 attributed to WW1 issue have no military acceptance marks. This is because the clasp knife was considered an item of clothing not a weapon and was under a different accounting regime."8173.jpg

"Recent research has shown that not only was the pattern 8173/1914 clasp knife, single blade, tin opener with jigged bone handle, an issue knife but there were three variations of this pattern, they were pattern 8171/1914 with stag horn handle, pattern 8172/1914 with checked black horn handle and pattern 8173/1914 with bone handle. "

"Late in the war pattern 9401/1917, knives, clasp with tin opener and marline spike with nickle scales, pattern 9402/1917, knives, clasp with tin opener and marline spike with fibre scales, pattern 9403/1917, knives, clasp with tin opener and fibre scales and pattern 9404/1917, 26 April 1917, knives, clasp with tin opener and steel scales, were approved for issue."

All info courtesy of Dutchy: http://www.australia....php?f=13&t=134

post-599-0-98326900-1320425107.jpg

Hi FROGSMILE

You beat me to it, yes ( 2nd photo) this patern was used in WW1, a new patern came out in 1932, shorter in lengh and with a improved tin opener, in the last year of WW2, a inferior clasp knife was issued, produced from stainless steel, with no grips on the handles.

Added

I can see now how you beat me to it, I had to scan mine :angry:

Gerwyn

My guess is that the bayonet was used more often than not

The soldier in the Great War was a very practical chap. My grandfather drove a lorry in the ASC; open cab with no weather protection at the front or sides. He swore that the biscuits were so hard that they had to nail them to the back of the cab so that the rain could soften them up before they were able to eat them.

I'd be interested to hear of a practical method of opening a bully beef tin with a bayonet. I think you'd very likely ruin or contaminate the contents. Anyone found a You Tube demo? :D Most accounts I've read say the most useful job for the bayonet was breaking up duckboards for firewood.

Regards,

MikB

I'd be interested to hear of a practical method of opening a bully beef tin with a bayonet. I think you'd very likely ruin or contaminate the contents. Anyone found a You Tube demo? :D Most accounts I've read say the most useful job for the bayonet was breaking up duckboards for firewood.

Regards,

MikB

Mik,

You'd be surprised how useful a bayonet could be when it came to meal-time

see http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/P05093.025

regards

Michael

Didn't the Canadian forces have a clasp knife with the same functions, except that it was all metal slab sided and sometimes dated on the grip, I think I remember seeing one dated 1915.

khaki

Here's a couple of the corned beef tins I have. The larger, Libby's tin is a Boer war souvenir. It's dated 6-99 internally - & has been opened the hard way, from the top. Clearly opened with an army clasp knife tin opener - the blade of mine fits the cuts perfectly.

The Plate Brand tin is dated 8-18,& is the smaller, later 12oz size opened with the key.

Joe Sweeney is of course quite correct, that the key wind tins were in use prior to 1909 - however, I have seen Galipolli relic tins which have clearly been of the larger earlier type - no point throwing away good bully when it's only 10 years old!

ChrisP

And from the top...

post-6018-0-67110900-1320444866.jpg

post-6018-0-79898300-1320445600.jpg

And finally, the date on the Plate Brand tin;

post-6018-0-92696700-1320445748.jpg

They don't last forever though. I remember my g/father regretfully chucking out a souvenier can during the years of wwII. The tin has swelled to alarming proportions and was must probably fermenting

gracefully underneath its cover.

Yes This Fray Bentos tin, still full, has expanded somewhat in girth. I'd hate to be close when it finally goes...

However, for our purposes here, it servesto show the key in place, prior to opening.

ChrisP

post-6018-0-25287000-1320446532.jpg

And for Khaki, the stainless steel cased, Canadian issued clasp knife, this one, typically, with British made blades..

ChrisP.

post-6018-0-81017200-1320447483.jpg

Interesting that the L,M&L can carried what look like instructions about following the lower edge of the label around, which Tommy clearly chose to ignore - be interesting to know why.

Regards,

MikB

And for Khaki, the stainless steel cased, Canadian issued clasp knife, this one, typically, with British made blades..

ChrisP.

Chris,

What was the guy this was issued to using the spike for???

These types were also British issue--minus M&D Canada of course---and only officially authorized/pattern sealed fairly late in the war (26 April 1917, “Knives, Clasp with Tin Opener and Marline Spike with Nickle Scales”) and the exact same pattern as the Canadian and for thosde who actually find the steel scaled variety--”Pattern 9404/1917, 26 April 1917, introduced “Knives, Clasp with Tin Opener and Steel Scales”. .

I have a Bitish made one used by a gunner in the RFA.

Joe Sweeney

'evening Joe; How's the world treating you?

The purpose of the Marlin spike was for splicing ropes, & long used by the Royal Navy. As you will know it's issue wasn't universal, as it didn't replace the other patterns, & limited to certain troops -I've always assumed that would be for RFA, RE, ASC, etc, who would have the most need for it..

There were an awful lot of patterns for one war..! I've never been able to find a British issued steel scaled knife - have you? - or any one else for that matter?

ChrisP

TE;

I've always greatly envied your little set...!

Here's three of mine, all different. The round, & small square one are both souvenirs, dared 1914 & 15. Whilst the small one is a ship's biscuit, I've never seen the likes of the round one before - it's made by Dreigh & Douglas of Leith, & is hard enough to double up as a hockey puck...

I have the plain tin like yours - & also a double ended one, marked Tea & Sugar - you know the type. I know these are typically earlier, but do you know if they were used into WW1 too?

ChrisP

post-6018-0-84135400-1320534005.jpg

post-6018-0-77043000-1320534013.jpg

'evening Joe; How's the world treating you?

The purpose of the Marlin spike was for splicing ropes, & long used by the Royal Navy. As you will know it's issue wasn't universal, as it didn't replace the other patterns, & limited to certain troops -I've always assumed that would be for RFA, RE, ASC, etc, who would have the most need for it..

There were an awful lot of patterns for one war..! I've never been able to find a British issued steel scaled knife - have you? - or any one else for that matter?

ChrisP

Chris,

Actually I was looking at the damage on the spike-obviuosly that one was used for more than just cleaning hooves and splicing ropes.

Life not treating me too bad.

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

Joe-

Sorry - I missed you point! He was probably using it to break an army biscuit :) .....

Whilst I'm here, & in the same vein, this ideal milk tin came to me with the '18 dated bully beef one. Both souvenirs from the 1919 Russian campaign.

Can't see why anyone would keep empty cans, but I'm glad they did...

Chrisp

post-6018-0-18550600-1320580715.jpg

post-6018-0-01197700-1320580724.jpg