Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the "mushroom

laurent59

MlleArmentieres,

I'm sorry for my mistake, but I am wary of the Office of Tourism Armentieres that uses the name of Mademoiselle from Armentières to make the most money, selling cups, booklet, key chains and other products in the name of the woman who really existed. (three years ago, the tourist office was not aware that the war had touched Armentières). They know nothing about the war and try to make a maxumum of money on this name.

I'm chairman of the vétérans of wars association and can't accept that they make money with the dead! They even tried to make pay for the visits of the British cemetery of the city and I opposed!

Shame on them,

Sorry if i make a mistake,

I hope youo understand me,

regards,

Laurent

• 4 years later...

I know it's a very long time since this question was first posted but I've just been researching where my great uncle died with the 2nd Battalion of the Wellington Regiment, NZ Expeditionary Forces during the night of July 2/3 in 1916. This link http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-Well-t1-body-d15.html will take you to an online copy of the history of the regiment and an account of the NZers' actions. It says that on the night Capt McColl died, "The engineer who accompanied the raiders, on a large bomb store being found guarded by iron doors, blew the doors in and destroyed the store. A pumping station for keeping the trenches habitable was likewise destroyed." 

Would the destruction of the bomb store and the pumphouse account for the two craters you originally asked about?

Good Evening 

The 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment were in the immediate area on the 7th December 1914, and there are 2 Porte  Egal Farms close to the area one was used as a Head Quarters.I may mention something in their war diary. I have a couple of trench maps for that area one of them is for later period in the war

Regards

Andy Pugh