Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Went shopping today

DCLI

303man,

just as an interested watcher of this thread, I notice that the bolts in your photo are extended out leaving the breech open. Would this have been normal or is it just for the photo. The reason I ask is that dirt, dust, etc would have been able to get in the mechanisms causing possible problems.

Peter

Don't worry I will not modify the weapon. I would like to deactivate it really. Is this possible? Not necessarily to fire it, but I would like to strip and claean it now again.

We British (successive governments) are paranoid about weapons - hence the deactivation malarky.

regards

Anthony

Long live Belgium for that.

It is a "free weapon" here, let's say weapon for weapon rack.

My enfields can fire. Nice to give a demo to the public of the bang an enfield makes. And they are loud... ;)

The bit which you have your sling attached to in the picture is the hard-to-find Piling Swivel. As 303man and Kristof exlained, it was used to fasten three rifles together and then other men would "pile arms" by resting their rifles against this rigid tripod.

I hang mine on the wall by means of two trendy coat-hangers from IKEA. I spaced them so one fits just behind the trigger-guard and the other just behind the piling-swivel. The rifle's weight and balance keep it in position without it falling over at all.

Tom

post-23-1090228400.jpg

I like the IKEA coat hooks but as it is impossible to actually get into IKEA (too many cars/people etc) I shall look for the equivalent elsewhere.

Many thanks.

Anthony,

You certainly have a good piece there.

Without being intrusive I wonder if you could let me know where you purchased it and what you had to part with. My reasons for asking are that I am in the process of rationalising my collection and will be shortly disposing of a 1915 Enfield, 2 No 4's and a Daimler Motors Bren Gun.

I have a good idea for the No 4's and the Daimler Bren, but with regards to the SMLE, I have not seen any decent looking ones for a long time and would like to have some idea of the market price. Mine has replaced woodwork all marked with the Enfield stamp, and amazingly enough the number on the bayonet lug matches the receiver number. Many ones I have seen appear to have been thrown together over the years, probably in far flung parts of the world and are then just deac'd and sold on.

Please PM me with the details as I would be delighted to have a better picture of what I could get for mine.

Many thanks

James