Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Went shopping today

DCLI

Normal Saturday, went shopping, browsed in certain antique shops - bought a Lee Enfield - nothing strange there then.

Claimed date is 1915, with all bits and pieces, including magazine cut off.

All woodwork in place, although some looks a little more recent that 89 years ago.

Before I say how much, what is the general concensus? Good or bad?

Incidentally, he had a WW1 Vickers machine gun for sale too.

I HAVE RETURNED AND CHANGE THE ORIGINAL (INCORRECTLY SLUNG) PICTURE

post-23-1090244466.jpg

The year of manufacture will be on the steel band under the bolt. How much was it? and in which country.

Tom

What markings are on the butt disc?

Nothing on the butt disc. Year of manufacture, could be 1915 or 1916.

How can I tell country of manufacture?

Regards

Anthony

post-23-1090093003.jpg

Nothing on the butt disc. Year of manufacture, could be 1915 or 1916.

How can I tell country of manufacture?

The year looks like 1915 to me, and it's British made (you can tell by the "Enfield" stamping - this is where it was made). Indian made would have one of the Indian armouries ("Ishapore", etc) and the "GRI" cypher rather than "GR", and Austaralian made would have one of the Aussie armouries stampings, such as "Lithgow" etc., etc.

Dave.

Having seen a number of .303s, it looks very nice and in good order. Its fairly common for these rifles to experience 'upgrades' throughout their service lives, so that may explain the woodwork.

I don't think it matters too much what you paid, as long as you are satisfied with the purchase.

Incidently, did the sling come with it?

In Beltring last year I picked up a 1917 one with a buttplate disc unit marked to the Coldstream Guards. The sling did not come with it. I also picked up a 1907 pattern 1917 issued bayonet which completes the set. The rifle itself cost me £170. As far as I know all SMLEs were made by subcontarctors and that is one of the main reasons the No 4 was adopted, because it was easier to mass produce.

Tom.

The sling did come with it.

I did pay over the odds, and I am a little embarressed by that. Still in a few years the value with have caught up with the price - that's how I will convince myself that I did OK.

I was led (led being the operative word) to believe that having a magazine cut off was rare, and that most LEs around these days were dated 1918, ie 1915 being rarer.

Anyway I like it, and it will look really nice on my wall complete with bayonet I bought some time ago.

Thanks to all

regards

Anthony

No, it is has been deactivated - dry fire only, ie cock and click.

Any tips on mounting it on the wall?

I would also like to buy a pull through and oil bottle - any ideas?

regards

Anthony

Normal Saturday, went shopping,

So did I but I came home with a bottle of milk, a dozen eggs and some potatoes B)

Steve

I bought a mkIII* at beltring 'Enfield 1918'. The butt plate had been replaced, so no reg info there. But one thing I was mistified with, it looks like a bit of indian writting carved on the butt( maybe just a scratch, that some how looks like wtitting?) But I payed £240. If anyone does know how to mount one on the wall ? As Ive been meaning to mount it since last year with a 1907pt bayonet. I'll be camping again at belting this weekend, is anyone else going ?

This is ho i mounted my enfield before i had a gun rack.

You place a L shaped iron attached to the wall (upside down) and you cover the iron with selfglueing felt paper or a strip of leather.

Then you install a plastic pipe clamb (_) like that and you cut of the half of 1 side.

paint it black or in the desired colour.

It is easy to attach with a plug and a screw.

Now you place your stock on the hook and you "click" the barel in the clamb.

Total price? 5£ or something...

i hope you understand.

The dealer I bought the weapon from, had two coat hooks. Rifle lift in and out easily - not the most attractive method but effective.

Anyone know why there are two sling fittings to the front of the weapon? Also what are the two small brass eyelet things just ahead of the magazine?

regards

Anthony

your sling is attached to the wrong hook.

The first hook (closest to the firing mouth) is NOT for the sling but to place the rifles in a hedge. You need to use the middle hook to attach your sling.

The two eyelets at front od the magazine were normaly for another fitting to attach the magazine with a litle chain to the rifle. But in WW1 it was no longer used.

i hope this helped,

kristof

The little eyelets were also used to tie on the canvas breech-cover so that it didn't fall off into the mud then it was taken off. There was short piece of cord which passed through the eyelets.

Tom

Thanks for that. I have changed the position of the sling but you will have run that thing passed me again - for placing the rifle in a hedge? Sorry I am lost now.

you can hook 3 or more rifles togheter with it, like that they can stand alone...

like a tripod.

i hope this is more clear.

To check it over, all screw heads should be on the left hand side of the rifle. If it's been messed about the mid band sling is usually on the wrong way round. Also the sling loops are made off centre long side always on the right this is a throw back to when the long range dial sights were fitted so the sling did not get in the way of the sights when using the dial sight another give away if assembled by a bodger.

Excellent, thank you - so that is called a hedge?

I have had the rifle for one day and learnt so much. I have been to SMLE web sites all over the place, offering bayonets, oilers, information on stamping etc, etc.

I haven't just bought a fascinating piece of history but a whole new world of learning and spending more money.

Great isn't it?

Thanks to all those who offered information.

Regrads

Anthony

thats why we are here.

Don't be sure about the "hedge" that is how we call it in Flemish and it is a direct translation i am not sure it is called the same in english. Stupid me... :(

Please do not modify the rifle to mount it.

I am unsure of firearms laws in the UK, etc, but most mounts I have seen have normally included doing some form of damage to the wpn in order to secure it to the wall for security purposes.

It just devalues the wpn and shoud be strongly discouraged.

Being a 1915 model, it is rarer, and should not be damaged any further (since it has been deactivated already, what are you people doing with your .303's?)

Think of yourself as the temporary custodian of a piece of history that will long outlast you. Do you really want to be responsible for turning it into a rifle shaped piece of wood and steel?