Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hunter-Weston's badge of rank

punjab612

Aylmer Hunter-Weston

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nicknamed "Hunter-Bunter", Hunter-Weston has been seen as a classic example of the stereotyped British "donkey" general he was described by his contemporary superior Sir Douglas Haig as a "rank amateur",

Does anyone know the context of DH's remark?

Does anyone know the context of DH's remark?

I'm not aware of Haig having made such a remark, and note that whoever inserted it into the Wikipedia entry gives no source for it in the footnote. If it turns out that Haig did make such an observation I'd be interested to see in what context he did so. As it is, it is inconsistent with what I have from Haig on Hunter Weston. Whilst on the one hand Haig certainly cautioned that Hunter Weston's Gallipoli experience of landing from ships was different from the momentum which would be required in the upcoming launch of the Somme, he nonetheless recognised the utility of Hunter Weston's experience in discussions with Admiral Bacon about a possible amphibious assault on Ostend. I'm sceptical about the Wiki attribution of such a statement to Haig.

George

I reckon we keep an eye open for George, Walting as a General with a row of very realistic ribbons and some splendid rank badges. Where is your nearest Remembrance Parade, George?

I shall be parading in full rank insignia as retired General Mungo Hogspear-Mackintosh at a distant Remembrance Parade where there's no danger that I shall be rumbled.....

George