Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE DIGGERS

Drummy

Aurel

Thanks for your emails, and while it is a shame to lose the website, you are right that there are things in life that are far worse. Like others have said You will always get support and friendship here.

Best wishes

Annette

We all mourn the passing of the Diggers, but Aurel and Jacky, and many of the others in the group, have become noted military historians in their own right, clearly shown by the calibre of their postings on this site... and I suspect we haven't heard the last of them by any means.

Guest Simon Bull

I too am sad about Aurel's rift with The Diggers, and also sorry that he appears to have had some other problems in the last few months.

However, I am very glad that Aurel will continue to make his valuable contributions to the Forum.

Hope things are now OK for you Aurel.

Kind regards

Simon Bull

Aurel,

I wish you nothing but the best and hope that in the future you'll start your own group. You will have enough volunteers to join you, since we know the integrety and discretion you work with. I know their still a lot of graveless soldiers who are waiting to be found the way you've did in the past.

So hopefully you won't let some bludgers stop you.

with the highest regards to you

patrick knoops

• 1 month later...

I am sorry I missed this thread in July, when I was out of the office. What a great loss the website will be, especially to those who have not had the privilege of visiting Ypres and Boezinge in person. When I met Jacky in 2001 and he took Ian and me to Boezinge to see the work in progress, it was at that point that I understood, to some small degree, the horror of those trenches and what it must have been like to be a soldier there. So thank you Jacky (you deserve all the kisses you got and more!) and Aurel (you deserve them, too, but haven't got any yet!) for making that possible, for me and many others.

Cynthia

xxxxxx

So thank you Jacky (you deserve all the kisses you got and more!) and Aurel (you deserve them, too, but haven't got any yet!)

Cynthia,

How could you say that in public, for the whole world to see ?

Do you realize that now you have made me an easy target for Jacky's teasing ? :(

Aurel

Dear Aurel,

I will be on the Somme on September 27, and I don't think Jacky has committed to coming there, so...

But then again, I do feel so bad that I won't see Jacky this trip - what can I do?

However, the sentiments about the Diggers remain the same. Knowing Jacky is a fine gentleman (please don't say he has me fooled!), I don't think he will tease you too unmercifully!

Cynthia

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sometimes check out whose birthday it is and yesterday noticed a person who was 18 and had a link to this site, I called the miss's over who only has a passing interest in WW1, and we both sat there mesmorised by the work of these people. Annettte sat there with a tear in her eye at what great work and care was done for the soldiers who were found and given a proper buriel with descendants at the funeral if possible. I remember one funeral with an old woman i think it was in a wheelchair, and wondered what memories she may have of the man being buried after all this time.

If this website has now gone, it is a big shame, i only hope all the work they were doing will be carried on, and the website gets going again as we both thought it was fantastic

IIf this website has now gone, it is a big shame, i only hope all the work they were doing will be carried on, and the website gets going again as we both thought it was fantastic

Nigel,

The website www.diggers.be is still there, but no more updates of course since I left half a year ago.

I suppose the work will be carried on indeed. Why not ? I was only a member, contactperson and webmaster.

Will the website get going again ? I suppose not. And a website without updates as you know is a sad thing...

Sorry.

Aurel

Aurel, if you are still involved in anyway, could you not do a similar web site ?????, we thought it was excellent and a great loss if something like that isnt continued, we thought it brought home the trenches more than anything else we had seen

Aurel, if you are still involved in anyway, could you not do a similar web site ?????

Nigel,

I have had many similar requests and suggestions (even : why not start a new team ?), but I'm afraid that for all sorts of reasons that is not possible.

For me no more digging beneath the surface from now on.

Aurel