Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE DIGGERS

Drummy

I have just been on the Diggers web site and note that it is no longer being updated and is due to be wound up, there is a message dated 11 July 2004 from Aurel Sercu which indicates that he no longer has contact with the Diggers or their activities and the website is at an end. Does anyone know what has happened. Cheers Neil.

Politics again?????

There is trouble everywhere nowerdays.

:o I am very sorry to hear about this. Shelley :(

I log on to there site and can find no mention of what you say. Keep refreshing and it comes up last updated 05/04 got a link mine may be defunct.

Go to the whats NEW section and you will find an explanation posted by Aurel there.

http://www.diggers.be/

Neil,

I have known for some weeks but out of respect for Aurel, have left it to him to announce publically the change.

Peter

Wow - one can only hope that from the ashes something else rises in the spirit in which it is intended.

Good luck to you Aurel

Ryan

Hi Aurel

Sad :( to hear about your departure from the Diggers

All the very best whatever you get up to in the future

sunflower

Let's not be too sad! Aurel may have severed his connection with the Diggers for reasons which are no concern of ours. The Diggers site which he managed was excellent and extremely informative. But he is still the same Aurel, still a firm friend to many of us, still the same highly-respected enthusiast and still a member of our forum.

We still have a lot to be thankful for.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, Ryan, Sunflower, Annette, Peter, Shelley, Neil,...

I'm sure you will understand that this is not the place to explain the motives behind my leaving the team. (Let's say a matter of personal principles, not really related to battlefield archaeology). Certainly no politics, Kristof. (I really wouldn't know what "politics again" could be behind it.)

My apologies for announcing this so late on our website (not until last Sunday - yellow beam on the homepage). But due to some other recent personal circumstances, which some of you may be aware of, and which kept me away from the Forum for a couple of weeks ...

Thanks for all the friendship and interesting contacts I have received from so many in the UK and elsewhere, and which no doubt will continue of course.

Aurel

Aurel i meant politics in the group... not real politics. Differnt visions, views, an other way of thinking....

But it happens everywhere, we also had our bit of it in SRD.

Any how, keep up the good work you did. ;)

Differnt visions, views, an other way of thinking....

Kristof,

Correct.

But let there be no doubt : views not at all related to battlefield archaeology.

Aurel

and which no doubt will continue of course.

Let's hope so, Aurel has helped me on and off forum a number of times and is one of our greatest assets

Mick

Let's not be too sad! Aurel may have severed his connection with the Diggers for reasons which are no concern of ours. The Diggers site which he managed was excellent and extremely informative. But he is still the same Aurel, still a firm friend to many of us, still the same highly-respected enthusiast and still a member of our forum.

We still have a lot to be thankful for.

Tom

Couldn't agree more with Tom

I have just read Aurel's explanation on the Diggers site and am very sorry.

Let us hope that he will be able to continue his help to the Forum for a long time to come.

Dear Aurel.

I hope you are well.

It is so sad to hear that this has happened,after all of the great work that you guys have done together,over so many years.

The Diggers website,was one of the first that i came across,when i became the owner of a computer,and started searching for a long lost relative.

Everyday things that i have known,in my time,Marmite,Bovril and HP Sauce,all turned up on the Boezinge site,and Canal Bank Camp,which was something that i had learned of,very recently.

My Great-grandad was at Canal Bank,during 3rd Ypres,on quite a few occasion's.

I have walked the ground,and seen a picture of what it was like,at the time,all made that little easier,from the information that i have recieved from you,the team,and the Website.

It is such a shame.

All the best,Aurel,and look forward to chatting to you soon.

Simon.

I second this :D

Regards Doug

Sad to here of the closing of the site I have visited regularly for a couple of years. I had was always interested in what they uncovered and the respect they showed human remains. The trenches that were uncovered were of intrest living in Canada I may not be able to visit they shown me some construction features I was not aware of. It will be a loss to all.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

This is a great shame. Aurel, Jacky and the rest of our Belgian friends, you will always have a welcoming on-line home here.

What a shame. This was an excellent website and I will miss it - but thankfully the 'brains' behind it is still with us. Thanks Aurel.

Gentlemen,

Being able to look back on it after 2 and a half months already : a shame, yes, but not the end of the world. And there are things in life that are worse. Some will understand what I mean.

But thanks for the heart-warming support. I appreciate.

Aurel

Aurel,

I was saddened to hear of this and i agree wholeheartedly with the previous comments in this thread. It is a great shame, to put it mildly, as the work done has been of great interest to most and historically important.

Andy