Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Able Seaman Ernest Sillett from West Brom

rmtruby

22 hours ago, Malcolm12hl said:

Just to confirm, the man in question is Able Seaman Ernest Henry Sillett 173052, born in Ipswich, Suffolk on 11 February 1878.  He is on a West Bromwich war memorial because he had moved there before his death, his next of kin being listed as his wife, Florence Sillett of 54 Roebuck Road, West Brom.  He had joined the Navy in 1893 and had purchased his way out of the service in 1902, joining the Royal Fleet Reserve.  He was called up and joined H.M.S. CRESSY on 2 August 1914, and was lost with her on 22 September 1914.

Theoretically he would have met my grandad. His youngest son as he was born on 26 July 

He probably did.  He did not join his ship until 2 August, so there is every reason to suspect that he would have been home for the birth of a child.

Something random here. Given that he was a labourer he wouldn’t have been well off. However my grandads brother left behind a fob watch and chain with a half Guinea attached. It’s quite valuable I have it. I am wondering if this belonged to earnest Sillett and was passed to my grandads brother as he was the first son and shared the same name. Although it seems he was born out of wedlock as his birth name was Fisk. Spose will never know ..

Apart from the basic place/date of birth (and he had 3 moles on hisrightt arm) the records lists the vessels he served in and the dates,  from February 1893 as a boy with man's service starting at the age of 18 in 1896, then to Dec 1902 when he purchased his discharge.  The date he joined Cressy with the Royal Fleet Reserve is also there.

With the vessels you can go further on other sites to perhaps find what those vessels were doing when he was with them

Max

5 hours ago, Puyjapin said:

I will have to join to have a look. Sorry to sound naive but what sort of information does the link on ancestry have about him that I May not already know ? Cheers. 

And thanks sadbrewer I may drop you a line 

Possibly not too much about your grandfather personally, but if you want to do the wider family or go back further the information on other trees can be a great help.

Please feel free to drop me a line anytime.