Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify correct medals

lwftm

I cannot find a mention of a MM to Wagstaff either, I wonder if it was a French Medal Militaire award and the other the Serbian Cross. This dos not account however for the ribbons pertaining to him.

Is this his dad? There are only 2 in 1915 and the other one is only 23.

Name: WAGSTAFF, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: 11th (Prince Albert's Own) Hussars

Date of Death: 13/05/1915

Service No: 10051

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 5.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Rgds

Tim

Tim my apologies, I should have mentioned that his father was killed/presumed drowned on board the SS Falaba when it was sunk by a german Uboat on 28 March 1915. So the one you mention is not him.

The Dad's name was also William Wagstaff but no middle name as far as I know. He was apparently a Marine Engineer or Superintendent Marine Engineer, though he was listed as a passenger on the Falaba. This is another curly one that I have not yet unraveled. So far no evidence online has turned up for his Dad being in the Navy or a registered engineer in the Merchant Service. I have also searched the MIC's etc.. on ancestry and cannot find any that would appear to be his Dad. Census docs, his marriage cert, his kids birth certs and his wife's death cert are the only evidence I have so far re occupation and the fact he travelled a number of times between England and Forcados Nigeria (always as a passenger). In the 1911 census he has shown himself as a `Marine Engineer', `worker' in `merchant service'.

So as I've been thinking he was not in the Navy but instead a civilian in merchant service of some sort I had ruled him out as a possible recipient for one or other of the medals? Would that thinking be correct?

I *think* you can posts extracts from MIC's, but not the whole card itself (or something like that...). Any chance of posting extracts from both?

The MIC's for both show the following:

Name: Wagstaff, William S.

Corps: RGA

Regtl No.: 82911

Medals:

Victory: Roll RGA 144B, Page: 4397

British: Roll: RGA 144B, Page: 4397

Name: Wagstaff, Robert Arthur

Corps: HAC

Regtl No.: 624451

Corps: MGC

Regtl No.: this is blank

Dis. Comm: 27.4.17 MGC

Died: 1.10.18

At the bottom of 1st page of MIC has `NW/8/17279' or it could be `NW/8/14249'

There is also a date stamp at the bottom possibly a 9 but definitley Mar 1922.

That is everything that is actually handwritten on both MIC's.

I will have a closer look at my grandad William's service file to see if I can discern the attestation forms pg 2/3 you mention.

Cheers

Leanne

Thanks Leanne,

Read you other other posts.

As Far was William Junior goes and looking at his papers I would be surprised if he was awarded the Military Medal. This would almost certainly be recorded in some way on his papers (including the postnominal MM after the award). There is no reference to it at all that I can see.

I know that some men were awarded Serbian decorations for the Salonika campaign, however if official awards these would almost certainly also have appeared in the London Gazette and been recorded somewhere in his papers.

Rgds

Tim D