Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Irish Old Contempibles-Looking for Info

yelob

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card it looks like he was sent 4 Clasps for South Africa by mistake which he returned.

4.(S.A.) Clasps )Retd (1743 K.R. 1912)8153/Adt

I think they should have gone to no.2956 Priavte J Kearns 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers who had served in South Africa.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,thanks again as I was wondering what all the scribbling was,do you have any idea what the 8153/adt means and the other date 9/11/26.

Best Wishes,Liam

Hi,

You see '8153/adt' code when a medal has been returned for some sort of adjustment, usually the name is incorrect or the wrong regimental number, in this case they were not his Clasp's.

9/11/26 is the date the Ministry got the request for his'Clasp & Rose'.

He may have applied for the Clasp & Roses in 1026 to help find a job, if his potential employers were ex service men.

Regards Mark

Hi,

I just came across this concerning the 'Soldiers' & Sailors' Help Society - Employment Bureau. 26 South Frederick Street, Dublin'

Which might be of interest to you.

Regards Mark

post-14045-0-14239800-1311425111.jpg

As regarding the period of service. My ggrandfather served in 2nd Bn Connaught Rangers 1903-1906, then was recalled in 1914 and served until October 1915. So that's approx 12yrs service.

Dominic

Hi Mark,Thanks so much again for all the help,that's interesting info.I'll see what I can find out here.

Just a point that you might know,does the fact that he was discharged in 1919 mean that from the period of his wounding in May 1915 till 1919 he was on active service or could it be that he may have seen no further service from 1915 and still not be discharged until war end.

Thanks Dominic too for that info,it might be nice to piece together as much info on 2Bn as possible,I would love to know if my man was at 1st Ypres.

Hi,

I am not sure, but he could have continued to serve with the 3rd & 4th Battalions in the UK until the end of the war if he was unfit for active service overseas'.

Regards Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,just wondering if you can have a look at this thread I started which has a clue perhaps about the same man appearing in 1916 and let me know what you think.Many Thanks,Liam

Dominic thanks too for your input