secltaaprowenrfc1917.jpg

Name:OWEN, IORWERTH ROLAND

Initials:I R

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text:13th Sqdn

.Age:20

Date of Death:07/05/1917

Additional information:Son of Dr. Rowland and Margaret Owen, of Arley House, Seaforth, Lancs. Joined Mill Hill School O.T.C., 1915, and Inns of Court O.T.C., 1916 and 1917

Memorial Reference:D. 17.Cemetery:STE. CATHERINE BRITISH CEMETERY

2Lt I R Owen and his observer AMII Reginald Hickling were killed in action while flying BE2c 4595 of No 13 Sqn RFC on 7 May 1917. The airmen left Savy aerodrome on a photographic reconnaissance mission at 10:40 and were shot down at 11:45. Ltn Karl Allmenröder of Jasta 11 was credited with a victory; it was the 10th of his eventual 30 victories.

Gareth

2Lt I R Owen and his observer AMII Reginald Hickling were killed in action while flying BE2c 4595 of No 132 Sqn RFC on 7 May 1917. The airmen left Savy aerodrome on a photographic reconnaissance mission at 10:40 and were shot down at 11:45. Ltn Karl Allmenröder of Jasta 11 was credited with a victory; it was the 10th of his eventual 30 victories.

Gareth

Gareth

Thank You for the details. I have about another ten photos to post.

Regards

Simon

In the other thread, there is a reference to 'Seacombe, Liverpool'. This should be 'SeaFORTH, near Liverpool'. Seacombe is over the water.

D

Simon, there have been previous threads on IoRwerth ap Rowland Owen and 13 Squadron (132 not formed until 1918, so presumably a rare typo)

Previous thread

Hope that helps further

It was a (now corrected) typo.

Sigh

Gareth

He is also remembered on the Owen family grave in Anfield cemetery.

I have been visiting Anfield cemetery for many years and curiosity about this brave

young man led me to find out more about him and eventually to pay my respects at his grave in Arras.

Regards Gill

He is also remembered on the Owen family grave in Anfield cemetery.

I have been visiting Anfield cemetery for many years and curiosity about this brave

young man led me to find out more about him and eventually to pay my respects at his grave in Arras.

Regards Gill

Gill

A local lad. Can you put his plot on here so I can visit. I go the match so I can go early and so my respects.

Simon

Simon,

Sorry I don't know the plot number , can give you vague directions.

Enter the cemetery at the gate nearest the crematorium, keep to the right ,pass the two V.C's and carry straight on.

The grave is a tall gothic structure not far from the old Chapel and bears a relief of Iowerth's picture on one side.

Hope you find it

Regards Gill

Simon,

Sorry I don't know the plot number , can give you vague directions.

Enter the cemetery at the gate nearest the crematorium, keep to the right ,pass the two V.C's and carry straight on.

The grave is a tall gothic structure not far from the old Chapel and bears a relief of Iowerth's picture on one side.

Hope you find it

Regards Gill

Thank you.

You are very welcome.

This officer is listed on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour as Owen,2nd Lieut. T.R., Royal Flying Corps.

There is an entry for him in a rare Book, 'Liverpool's Scroll of Fame'*, a copy of which is in Liverpool Record Office, but one or two members of this Forum have a copy. The biographical note includes a photograph.

*The book has biog notes on officers only, contributed by families. A planned volume for other ranks was never published.

D

I am unable to attach the following photos in the same post but will place them separately as replies....

Liverpool's Scroll of Fame.

Credit for these documents must be given to the late David Evans (Liverpool Scottish) who kindly gave them to me some years ago.

Gill.

post-32981-0-69819400-1309696864.jpg

post-32981-0-33163100-1309697036.jpg

post-32981-0-61704200-1309697202.jpg

post-32981-0-87193000-1309697322.jpg

Interesting. His father was from Anglesey and one of the testimonials in the above article was from Menai Bridge; but he isn't commemorated on a memorial on the Island to the best of my knowledge (unlike a number of other Anglesey men who had Merseyside connections).

The poem "The Airman" is also by one "Owain of Mon (Anglesey)"; and while a literal translation is entirely possible, it would be clumsy by comparison with the skilful alliterative use of Welsh in the original language. It is from the Welsh-language newspaper Yr Herald Gymraeg dated 4 December 1917.

LST_164

By request, an attempt to translate the Welsh poem about Iorwerth Owen -

THE AIRMAN

Second-Lieut. Iorwerth ap Roland Owen, RFC,

Seaforth. Died for his country, May 7th.

His wings spreading - sprightly

Towards the heavens ascending, -

Despite hordes of cruel enemies

His pleasure lay above.

He visited the clouds:- higher, and higher,

He went into the thunders' domain -

Yonder, entering the outer borders

Of the wind, where the lightnings weave.

His brave eyes above the sight of man - warily

Searched for the foe;

Their number this one asks not, -

He straightway went - 'twas seven to one.

With all his might brave Iorwerth - (lively he) -

Drove straight into their midst,

A ferocious swarm - before him - behind,

To right and left - consumed with anger.

One foeman sent downward, - another

Visited the depths;

But the storm was too much -

Well he knew - but he achieved his aim.

His task to the end he completed, - so early

In this lifetime he slept;

His pleasure that all he had

He gave at his country's call.

OWAIN OF ANGLESEY

From the Welsh Herald, December 4th 1917

By request, an attempt to translate the Welsh poem about Iorwerth Owen -

THE AIRMAN

Second-Lieut. Iorwerth ap Roland Owen, RFC,

Seaforth. Died for his country, May 7th.

His wings spreading - sprightly

Towards the heavens ascending, -

Despite hordes of cruel enemies

His pleasure lay above.

He visited the clouds:- higher, and higher,

He went into the thunders' domain -

Yonder, entering the outer borders

Of the wind, where the lightnings weave.

His brave eyes above the sight of man - warily

Searched for the foe;

Their number this one asks not, -

He straightway went - 'twas seven to one.

With all his might brave Iorwerth - (lively he) -

Drove straight into their midst,

A ferocious swarm - before him - behind,

To right and left - consumed with anger.

One foeman sent downward, - another

Visited the depths;

But the storm was too much -

Well he knew - but he achieved his aim.

His task to the end he completed, - so early

In this lifetime he slept;

His pleasure that all he had

He gave at his country's call.

OWAIN OF ANGLESEY

From the Welsh Herald, December 4th 1917

Thank you.

Thank you for that Clive, such an heroic epitaph for a young lad of twenty( who to my mind must have been absolutely terrified)

It must have made his parents very proud

Regards

Gill

It must have made his parents very proud

Regards

Gill

Nicely said Gill

Clive I should have said

Diolch yn fawr.

I have just found this picture of the Owen family grave at Anfield Cemetery, Liverpool.

Gill

post-32981-0-66859200-1310148415.jpg

Atnomis and Gill,

Thanks to you too for your responses to my PMs on this chap.

The grave does look quite substantial, and the added carving of Iorwerth's image (?based on the one Atnomis found) is unusual.

LST_164

• 2 years later...

I have Iorwerth's medals so have done a little research on him. Hopefully you'll find these photos of his grave of interest.

I've included some info for Karl Allmenroder who was credited with shooting Owen down.

Karl Allmenroder (1896-1917) achieved 30 victories as an air ace with the German Air Service during the First World War.

Born in Wald, near Solingen on 3 May 1896 the son of a pastor, Allmenroder appeared destined for a career in medicine shortly

before war broke out in August 1914.Instead he joined Field Regiment 62 before being posted to Field Regiment 20 following

initial training, thereafter serving in Poland (out of which he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class in March 1915). Allmenroder

was awarded his commission at the end of March 1915. Along with his brother Willi, Karl applied for a transfer to the Air Service

a year later in March 1916; both were successful and were consequently sent for training at Halberstadt, followed by a posting to

FA227 and then on to Jasta 11 in November that year, the latter commanded by Manfred von Richthofen. Allmenroder achieved

his total of 30 aerial victories in the period from mid-February to the end of June 1917, including four 'kills' scored in just two

days (24-25 May). Awards fell upon Allmenroder with regularity: the Iron Cross 1st Class in March, the Knight's Cross of the

Hohenzollern Order in June, and - most prestigiously - the Pour le Merite (or Blue Max) on 7 June. Allmenroder's brief (if

spectacularly successful) aerial career came to an end on 27 June 1917 - the day following his 30th and final victory

(a Sopwith Triplane), all achieved with Jasta 11. Flying on patrol in the skies above Zillebeke his aircraft came under fire from

Allied aircraft: he was killed when his 'plane crash-landed. A number of honours were conferred upon him posthumously.

He was aged 21 at his death.

A close up of the lower headstone. I think this detail is unusual to find on a CWGC headstone.

post-61789-0-66167000-1387138009_thumb.j

post-61789-0-79357500-1387138024_thumb.j

post-61789-0-02013500-1387138465_thumb.j

Thank you for posting those images. Agreed, a tad more epitaph than usual, and possibly there was no room for the cross to be engraved in consequence (unless of course the family didn't want one anyway).

Clive