Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Iorwerth ap Roland Owen - killed same day as Albert Ball

Trebrys

Whilst searching for a grave at Anfield cemetery, Liverpool, I came across a large monument for 2nd Lt. Iorwerth ap Roland Owen. According to the inscription he had been killed whilst "single handed fighting against five enemy planes above Arras, May 7th 1917". He is interred at St. Catherine's British Military Cemetery in Arras. He was aged 20.

There are a couple of links with Albert ball here! Both were killed on the same day and both were aged 20 when they died. Would it be possible to trace who killed Owen or find any other information about him like his service record? He was a member of the 13th Squadron and I have no idea where it was based or what they flew.

Trebrys.

Trebrys

2Lt I R Owen and AMII Reginald Hickling (77687) of No 13 Sqn RFC were killed while flying BE 2c No 4595 on 7 May 1917. 4595 left Savy aerodrome at 1040 on a photographic reconnaissance mission on the XVII Corps front and was shot down near Fresnoy at 1145. A victory was credited to Ltn Karl Allmenröder of Jasta 11; it was the 10th of the 30 he would be credited with before his death in action on 27 June 1917.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

They must have been unlucky to still be flying a BE2c in May 1917.

Not that they would have been all that much safer in an RE8.

Admittedly von Richthofen is quoted as telling his men that a well-flown RE8 should be treated with respect, but Allmenroder would have made short work of either.

Dear Me! That was quick! How on earth did you get such detailed information so quickly??

Many thanks, Gareth.......diolch yn fawr iawn (thank you very much).....you've a good Welsh name!

Just in case you are interested, but Owen was the son of Rowland and Margaret Owen of Seacombe, Liverpool, though the father was a native of Anglesey in Wales. The father was a doctor who worked in Seacombe and Litherland for many years and was very prominent amongst the Liverpool Welsh. If you wish, I could send you a photo of the grave if you'll send me your e-mail.

Would you know whether Owen was the pilot or not? And to think he fell to Allmenroder!!!!!

Best wishes,

Iwan.

True enough! Jasta 11 would have been on a roll after the activity of the previous month too.

Thanks, Adrian.

Iwan.

They must have been unlucky to still be flying a BE2c in May 1917.

Not that they would have been all that much safer in an RE8.

Admittedly von Richthofen is quoted as telling his men that a well-flown RE8 should be treated with respect, but Allmenroder would have made short work of either.

Would you know whether Owen was the pilot or not?

Iwan.

Iwan

Yes, 2Lt I R Owen was the pilot, and AMII R Hickling was the observer in the aeroplane. In a BE 2c this meant that Owen was in the rear cockpit.

I'll PM you with respect to the photograph.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth,

I can't seem to be able to send you the photos, which are returned by the network as being "undeliverable" because the "address is not recognised".

Is there any other way I can send them to you?

Iwan.

• 4 years later...

QUOTE: "Owen was the son of Rowland and Margaret Owen of Seacombe, Liverpool".

I think you mean 'Seaforth, near Liverpool'.

D

• 4 months later...

Diolch yn fawr / Thank you very much.

Good to see there is still interest in this boy.

Trebrys