Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ball ammo

Stuart212

And what does any of this have to do with Ball Ammunition?

While our British colleagues are taking this lightly, as a fellow American, I quite frankly find your comments unacceptable. This is forum operated by adults. Surely there is another place on the internet where you can vent your off-topic nonsense?

John: In strict terms you are absolutely correct. We are off topic. However, you must allow some old soldiers to wander off the white-tape road occasionally. We are now beyond adulthood and have entered our second childhood. Just wait. It'll come along :)

We do have the Skindles Club here; a wonderfully eccentric spot which honours the memory of the old Skindles Hotel. The problem is that some us can't find the door when we need to so we tend to stand in the main street outside and shout insults at our mates. I know it's a bit distracting but, trust me, you'll get used to it. I have first generation cousins in the States who served your country with great honour and I would do nothing to dishonour them or their countrymen. But when Pete talks about his ancestors, there's little devils jump up on my shoulder straps and start whispering in my ear. Ancestors? Didn't know he knew his . . . . . . ! Oh, well. it's all old army humour.

Mods: perhaps you should decant us to Skindles. Mine's a Hendricks and tonic with a slice of cucumber.

Cheers, Antony

Two nations separated by a common language :-)

If Tony E ever has trouble understanding the dialect of people in St. Louis, Missouri during his annual trips to the cartridge conventions there I'd be glad to come along to give him a hand with road signs and menus. :hypocrite:

That's interesting, Pete. My father's sister emigrated to St.Louis after WW2. She and her husband are buried there. We had cousins in Granite City from the earlier Polish emigrations of late 19th and early 20th Centuries. Love St. Louis. Been up the Arch. Yours, Antony

Anthony, as long we're so far off-topic, the ancestors of my Eisen surname once lived in Danzig, now Gdansk, Poland. They moved to Stockholm circa 1720 and thence to San Francisco in 1850. Back then the Baltic was more Hanseatic League rather than national.

If Tony E ever has trouble understanding the dialect of people in St. Louis, Missouri during his annual trips to the cartridge conventions there I'd be glad to come along to give him a hand with road signs and menus. :hypocrite:

Mr E, I am reliably informed, is bilingual :P

Taking it back to the topic in question; I am also informed he has some rather rare balls :o

Andy

Centurian has his ancestors and I have mine. During the 1870s my maternal grandfather was born on a farm in southern Indiana near the state line with Kentucky. Our family's deed to the farm was signed by President Andrew Jackson, "Old Hickory," the U.S. commander at the Battle of New Orleans. An ancestor of mine was in the Kentucky militia during the War of 1812, though I do not know what he did during the war. I believe the farm was a reward for that ancestor's military service during the Affair of 1812.

I know its off topic but ws not the Battle of New Orleans fought AFTER the peasce treaty had been signed?

a goal, touchdown or basket after the final whistle does not count!

You are welcome for a beer any time Pete, and as Andy says, I am fully bilingual not just in the local Missouri dialect, but also in Virginie Mount'n Speek!

Cheers

TonyE

To be serious for a moment, and also to continue being off-topic on the subject of ball cartridges, the shaky performance of American militia units during the War of 1812 is seen by many U.S. historians as being the impetus or motivation for the formation postwar of a truly professional U.S. Army.

The humiliations of Bladensburg, Maryland and the burning of the White House led to a "never again" attitude. Militia, reserve or Territorial Force units, though they have their contributions to make, are no substitute for having a hard-core professional military. The results of that evolution in military professionalism were to be seen during the Mexican War, even though one may question the morality of the causus belli for that conflict.

THE SARN'T MAJOR'S BALLS

The balls of Sarn't Major are wrinkled and crinkled

Capacious and spacious as the dome of St Paul's

The crowds they do muster to gaze at the cluster

They stop and they stare at that glorious pair,

Of Sarn't Major's balls

Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls!