Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Bailey

stormswift

Hi

The next page is pretty straightforward. I have all apart from the last word in the top block 'Cameronians' ?

post-71527-0-33477100-1328089885.jpg

Also on this part and others is the line

STRENGTH of Battalion Officers Other Ranks

There are no numbers attached as far I can see, what does this mean ?

The next page of entries is also straightforward with nothing I can't read. There is reference to a unit though if someone can elaborate. It is written '2/Queens R'

Cameronians is a Regiment. It was also known as the Scottish Rifles.

the numbers are not there, and obviously the officer went off to check them and never updated them!

The 2/Queens R. will be the 2nd Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment.

Steve.

The last couple of pages have been pretty straight forward, however, there are two bits that puzzle if you could enlighten me.

post-71527-0-64701700-1328704586.jpg

Lieutenant ?? HYDE is it Q W? are these his initials. I'm not sure. Also would you know what the IA is in brackets.

The next two pages will take a bit of work. These detail the failed attack on the German trenches

Steve

Lieutenant and Quartermaster is the rank of Mr Hyde.

Steve.

• 10 years later...

Hello again all.

After quite a while away from looking into Charles military record. I am finally able to resume trying to translate the diary I have for the RWR  during his time in France. 

I wonder if I can get anyone to help me with a couple of lines. I'm a little stuck with the end of lines 3 and 4.

Line 3 reads to me "remainder of 2 RWR had returned by order after the" then possibly "action"? then something at Cronballot

Line 4. " The Battalion were relieved by 2/ ?? wells ? at 5pm and went" could the next bit be into leisure at Cronballot ?

Steve.  

EDIT: Done thx found the pages transcribed in another thread. apologies

Edited by stormswift