Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery Graves

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. So far I've drawn a blank.

In Poperinge New Cemetery there are the graves of two women. One is Euphrasie Vanneste. (I can't remember the other name). The headstones use the title 'Sster' - implying that they were either nurses or nuns.

Can anyone throw any light on the identity of these two women?

Have a look on this forum Here My link

the consensus is they are Both Belgian Military Nurses

Regards Ray

belgian nurse died 14/7/1917 but also a nun, they change names when they become a nun, here real name was euphrasie but as a nun known as sister juliana

kind regards

sabine

Hier liggen 2 Belgische religieuze vrouwen: Euphrasia Vanneste – zuster Juliana – stierf op 51-jarige leeftijd, op 14 juli 1917. Ze werkte als verpleegster in het Elisabeth-hospitaal en werd dodelijk getroffen door een Duits projectiel. Het tweede graf is dit van zuster Martha Declercq, waarschijnlijk eveneens een verpleegster. Ook zij stierf op 14 juli 1917.

Zuster Juliana (Euphrasia Vanneste). Zij was novicemeesteres in een ziekenhuis. Bij het uitbreken van de oorlog werd een burgerlijk hospitaal ingericht naast het Heilig Hart klooster, waar ze samen werkte met de Quakers. Halfweg 1915 werkte ze te Poperinge samen met de gravinnen d’Ursel en de Jehay in het “Kasteeltje van de Juge” waar ze vooral tyfuspatiënten verzorgde. Bij een bombardement in juli 1917 liet ze het leven.

she was a novice in a hospitaal, next to the h Heartnunnery they opened a hospital she worked with the quackers, from 1915 on she worked together with the comtesse d'ursel an comtesse de jehay in the chateau of the juge, they took care of tyfus patients got hit by german shell july 1917

• 3 weeks later...

belgian nurse died 14/7/1917 but also a nun, they change names when they become a nun, here real name was euphrasie but as a nun known as sister juliana

kind regards

sabine

Hier liggen 2 Belgische religieuze vrouwen: Euphrasia Vanneste – zuster Juliana – stierf op 51-jarige leeftijd, op 14 juli 1917. Ze werkte als verpleegster in het Elisabeth-hospitaal en werd dodelijk getroffen door een Duits projectiel. Het tweede graf is dit van zuster Martha Declercq, waarschijnlijk eveneens een verpleegster. Ook zij stierf op 14 juli 1917.

Thank you for your reply Sabine. I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

I am a teacher and every year I bring students to visit the graves of Euphrasie Vanneste and Martha DeClerque. Until now, I have never been able to tell my students who these two brave women were.

Many thanks,

Noel

Have a look on this forum Here My link

the consensus is they are Both Belgian Military Nurses

Regards Ray

Thanks Ray. There are so few women's graves in the salient military cemeteries that I'm surprised more isn't known about them.

Regards,

Noel

Zuster Juliana (Euphrasia Vanneste). Zij was novicemeesteres ...

Hi Sabine. I think she was not a novice herself, but a 'novice-mistress', a senior nun responsible for the training, welfare, etc, of novices in her convent.

siege you are right the mistress got lost in translation I wrote novice meesteres and translated it wrong

blond moment :whistle:

sabine