Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian war graves commission...

roel22

Can anybody tell me what the Belgian war graves commission is called - and where I can reach them?

Thanks in advance

Roel

There isn't one! Either the military or the local commune maintain the cemeteries.

For information, you could contact

Ministrie van Binnenlandse Zaken Dienst Militaire kerkhoven,

konigsstraat 66,

B-1000 Brussels

Dave.

...or if it's specifics about a particular casualty that you require, I've got a listing of nearly all of the Belgian dead who are under a "wargrave" headstone in France, Belgium and the UK if I can help at all?

Dave.

Thank you for your replies.

What I'm looking for has nothing to do with Belgian casualties. After the armistice the Belgian war graves service cleared some battlefields and re-interred the bodies in concentration-cemeteries. I'd like to know if there's specific information about German soldiers reburied at Kemmel no. 1 French cemetery. They were reburied by Belgians. The CWGC doensn't have any info, so the Belgians are more or less my last lead.

regards

Roel

Thank you for your replies.

What I'm looking for has nothing to do with Belgian casualties. After the armistice the Belgian war garves service cleared some battlefields and re-interred the bodies in concentration-cemeteries. I'd like to know if there's specific information about German soldiers reburied at Kemmel no. 1 French cemetery. They were reburied by Belgians. The CWGC doensn't have any info, so the Belgians are more or less my last lead.

regards

Roel

Ahhh! I see! (I never did get back to you about this did I? - found nothing on the German maps and my money still rests on French no.1 being the place).

What you call the Belgian War Graves Service was actually the Graves Registration Units of the Belgian Army, not a seperate organisation as was the case for the UK (and Germany after 1919!). Belgian military records might hold some info, but I'm not certain.

Dave.

Ahhh! I see! (I never did get back to you about this did I? - found nothing on the German maps and my money still rests on French no.1 being the place).

French no. 1 is the no. 1 for me as well: the Volksbund has recently confirmed that two identified burials are of men from the 7.kompanie RIR 238, KIA 14-5-1918. My great-grandfather was from the 5. kompanie and fell the same day. So very likely he was buried there as well as an unknown, during or shortly after the war.

regards

Roel

• 9 months later...
Roel

I have found this website very useful

http://www.inflandersfields.be/default2.htm

Search under 'Main Menu' and then 'Casualty Database'.

All the best

Dave

====

When I try this web site, there seems to be no way of getting off the first page! No doubt I'm doing something wrong though.

My interest is because I am researching the history of the Belgian War Memorial in Southampton Old Cemetery, and there are some discrepancies between names recorded in the burial register, those recorded on the panel on the memorial and those on individual headstones.

It seems the graves originally had crosses, but some time after the War (WW1) they were replaced with official standard Belgian headstones. I'd like to know exactly when this was done, at whose instigation, and how the names on them were arrived at.

Cheers, DaveJacobs

Heres some (not very good) photos of the Belgian graves in Southampton old cemetery.

post-13272-1171996460.jpg

post-13272-1171996558.jpg

Roel,

The Belgian War Graves Commission is the 'dienst oorlogsgraven' of the NIOOO (Nationaal Instituut voor oorlogsinvaliden, oud-strijders en oorlogsslactoffers). Director is Colonel Rob Troubleyn. I would suggest you try googling these, and if that doesn't come up with something, go unto www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl, where Rob is a user under the name 'oorlogsgraven'. He is a very dedicated man, and there is a notable positive change since he took over the service.

regards,

Bert

The person you want is Patrick de Wolf. His mail is ABL1914@pandora.be

He has a CD-ROM of all Belgian war graves (WW1).

For some years now he has been doing an inventory of all the wa graves on bhalf, I understand, of the Belgian army and would be interested to have details of the condition of any graves anyone may know of (the Southampton graves above, for example).

He can take some time to answer mails, but he is the guru sans pareil on the subject.

The person you want is Patrick de Wolf. His mail is ABL1914@pandora.be

He has a CD-ROM of all Belgian war graves (WW1). .

If you want anything looking up from this CD-ROM and can't get hold of him, drop me a line as Patrick gave me a copy of this CD a while back (apparently, according to him, I was (at the time) the only person in the UK to posess this CD! B) )

Dave

The Belgian War Graves Commission is the 'dienst oorlogsgraven' of the NIOOO (Nationaal Instituut voor oorlogsinvaliden, oud-strijders en oorlogsslactoffers). Director is Colonel Rob Troubleyn. I would suggest you try googling these, and if that doesn't come up with something, go unto www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl, where Rob is a user under the name 'oorlogsgraven'. He is a very dedicated man, and there is a notable positive change since he took over the service.

I'll contact him. Thanks for the tip, Bert!

Roel

If you want anything looking up from this CD-ROM and can't get hold of him, drop me a line as Patrick gave me a copy of this CD a while back (apparently, according to him, I was (at the time) the only person in the UK to posess this CD! B) )

Dave

I also have the CD-ROm, but then I'm not in the UK!

Can anyone tell me if there are any WW1 Belgian female grave locations on this CD?

Haven't looked to be honest, but if they are under a Belgian military headstone then, yes, i'd assume they are.

Supply me with a name and I'll take a look.

Dave

Haven't looked to be honest, but if they are under a Belgian military headstone then, yes, i'd assume they are.

Supply me with a name and I'll take a look.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. All but one of these is classed as military nurses. I have omitted spies and couriers.

Clementine COECKELBERGS

Rosalie CORTVIENDT

Julia DE PAUW

Jeanne DUPOIS

Henriette DUSTIN

Leonie LEDUN

Antoinette LIEVIN-DEMAESENEER

Madeleine MOLENBRINCK

Georgine PAUWELS

Alice ROMDENNE

Amelie SERNEELS

Armandine SIMON-DEBAUCHE

Emma VANNESTE

Euphrasie VANNESTE

Elise VERJANS

Marguerite VERWILGHEM

Madeleine WAUTERS

jim.

Unfortunately, I drew a blank with all of them! :(

However, I did stumble on another not on your list (but with a matching surname as one one of yours)...

Name: DUSTIN, Carolina

Unit: Mil.Hosp.Hoogstade

Number: 610

Born: Brussels, 2/8/1862

Died: Dinard (Hosp.), 10.9.1918

Cause: Sickness

Burial place 1418: Dinard, grave 150

Burial date: 12.9.1918

Burial place today: Dinard Communal Cemetery, grave number 32

Dave

Hello Dave, I am most grateful for this information. It helps give some completeness to my records. Out of interest is it a searchable cd that you have? If so, can you run a search under nurse and sister and see what comes out? Thanks, Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Can anybody tell me what the Belgian war graves commission is called - and where I can reach them?

Thanks in advance

Roel

Hi Roel

There is no Belgian War Graves Commission as such, and the cemeteries here are maintained either by the military or by the local gemeente - a far cry from the CWGC's magnificent example, innit ?

You might try this:

Kabinet van de Chef van Defensie

Kwartier Koningin Elisabeth

Blok 1

Everestraat 1

1140 Brussel

Phone (02) 701 61 05

Fax (02) 702 66 25

Hope to have been of some help

SRD jar (Brussels)

You have been very helpful!

regards Roel

• 5 years later...

...or if it's specifics about a particular casualty that you require, I've got a listing of nearly all of the Belgian dead who are under a "wargrave" headstone in France, Belgium and the UK if I can help at all?

Dave.

Dave

Do you still have the list of casualty locations, if so may I please PM you

Thank you

Peter

• 1 year later...
Guest ChasingWarMemorials

QUOTE (Dave Phillips @ Apr 28 2006, 04:08 PM)

Roel

I have found this website very useful

http://www.inflander...be/default2.htm

Search under 'Main Menu' and then 'Casualty Database'.

All the best

Dave

====

When I try this web site, there seems to be no way of getting off the first page! No doubt I'm doing something wrong though.

My interest is because I am researching the history of the Belgian War Memorial in Southampton Old Cemetery, and there are some discrepancies between names recorded in the burial register, those recorded on the panel on the memorial and those on individual headstones.

It seems the graves originally had crosses, but some time after the War (WW1) they were replaced with official standard Belgian headstones. I'd like to know exactly when this was done, at whose instigation, and how the names on them were arrived at.

Cheers, DaveJacobs

Dear DaveJacobs,

How did the research turn out on the Belgian memorial in Southampton Old Cemetery? Have you publsihed it anywhere?

I came across it the memorial a week ago, and it looks as if the marble plaques on the main cross have been cleaned.

I would apprecaite any information.

Cheers

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tom,

I didn't get around to publishing any findings, but you may be interested to know that a group of Southampton University students have recently been doing the Belgian graves as a project, guided by Geoff Watts of FoSOC (Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery. I am told that their findings will eventually get published, but I don't know the details.

If you could contact me directly by email (dave@jacobs.net) I can put you in contact with Geoff. Cheers DaveJ