Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camerons at Loos

rayoung74

You are quite correct. I mis-spoke and apologise for that. I should have said, "to evidence other than that posted by himself".

On a more constructive tack; many of these photographs don't appear to show Cameron of Erracht tartan - although the Kitchener postcard is a possible attempt at it. Is this a trick of the old film or were several battalions wearing something else (government?) in early 1915? I can't see why, as the Erracht was in use from the founding - indeed, it was created for the Regiment. Most of the hose appear to be one colour. Again, the pc shows tartan hose. I favour the photos.

For the record, Camerons had two regular battalions from 1897 on.

It would be nice to get pictorial evidence of Loos. Isn't there a regimental painting in the Highlanders Museum of 6 Camerons at Loos?

Antony

EDIT The painting's by James Gray, I think. Anyone seen it?

I believe they are wearing Cameron of Erracht and regimental hose but that the type of B&W (orthochromatic perhaps) film process has rendered the colouring indiscernible.

Yes, I am aware that a 2nd Battalion was formed in 1897. My point is that unlike all the other Highland Line Regiments, the Cameron's retained the palpable pride of a regiment that was undiluted by any forced marriage with another pre-1881 numbered regiment (which even the Black Watch could not claim) and that they liked to stand out. One way that they did this was with their distinctive and unique tartan and another was by wearing, predominantly, a dark blue glengarry (until the universal adoption of khaki bonnets of different types after 1915).

The photos I have posted show the dress of the 6th Camerons throughout 1915 and I don't personally see that their is any "lingering doubt" about that.

On a more constructive tack; many of these photographs don't appear to show Cameron of Erracht tartan - although the Kitchener postcard is a possible attempt at it. Is this a trick of the old film or were several battalions wearing something else (government?) in early 1915? ... Most of the hose appear to be one colour. Again, the pc shows tartan hose. I favour the photos.

At least some of this is definitely down to the orthochromatic film - the coloured hose is red and black diced, but the red is rendered almost as dark. But if you look closely at most of the photographs with this is mind the dicing can just be made out still.

Thank you, Andrew. Forgive my failing eyesight :ph34r: . As to the previous post, this is becoming tiresome. I wasn't aware that "in" meant "throughout" and I wasn't aware that "only" meant - whatever the point was in retrospect. Despite my best efforts to help the OP and to take on board the interesting information from my antagonist, I can't continue to reason with the unreasonable. I only hope that anyone who has read this thread through carefully will realise that I've made every effort to discuss an interesting topic in a reasonable manner. I now feel that I am being bullied out of the forum. Enough! Antony