Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sword Bayonets of the GW

shippingsteel

On the supplementaries

17) Winchester manufactured

Another point for Mike, and it seems the remaining 2 questions concerning the Portuguese bayonet will stay in the too hard basket.

When Portugal first went to OEWG in Steyr, Austria to arrange the production of their new service rifle, the design initially ordered was the Guedes-Castro M1885.

This was a single shot falling block design, that with the advent of the new magazine rifles was virtually going to be obsolete even before they were delivered.

So in mid production they made the decision to alter the contract, and specified the delivery of the Kropatschek repeating rifle in the place of the Guedes design.

Meanwhile the bayonet shown above was initially designed for the Guedes rifle, but was also able to fit the Kropatschek, meaning no more changes were required.

So now all that remains is to tally up the points and finalise the last few arrangements for the 'award ceremony'. This organising business is a really tough job.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

The scores are now in and it just remains for me to publish the results, but before I do I'd just like to commend both Mike and Gaz on the spirit in which they played the game. :thumbsup:

They have both been great sports and have shown an excellent knowledge of their subject matter, answering all but a handful of the most challenging questions thrown at them.

While sadly we only had the 2 participants competing, it has really been a tightly fought out event, with the guys running neck and neck right up till the final round.

It was then that Mike delivered the match winning performance, producing the 'perfect score' right when it counted most to take the lead, finishing off with 31.5 points.

Meanwhile Gaz had been delivering a very solid game, taking advantage of some good early scores, but could only manage 3 points at the end, finishing with 24.5 points.

Considering the 'virtual' nature of this competition, I thought it only proper that I should organise some rather expensive 'virtual awards' for both the prizewinners ..... B)

So with no further ado .....

I'd like to present Mike_H with his award, a solid gold B.E.M. with Bar (being the much sought after Bayonet Expert Medallion with "Technical" bar for knowledge exceeding all expectations)

And for Garron, we have the runners-up prize, a silver plated M.C. with Star (being the famed Militaria Cross for superb general knowledge of military arms and weaponry, including bayonets)

So thats all from me, I really hope everyone has enjoyed this presentation, and perhaps learnt a little more than they possibly need to know about the sword-bayonets of the Great War.! :lol:

Cheers, S>S

I will be gracious in defeat to a better adversary, nice work Mike_H

I shall wear my M.C. with Star with honour and pride :D

Thanks very much S<S, I really enjoyed it, plus it gave me a few more idea on bayonets I might get in the future (Though sadly my bank manager cries at that thought)

Gaz

S>S and Garron

It's been good fun and thanks for the award, I'll frame it with my R.C.E.(Rivet Counter Extraordinary) Congrats to Garron as well, good sport - I hope you get that Italian piece straightened OK. Once again to S>S thanks for putting in a lot of time & effort with the questions, they made me think and I admit I had to struggle to recall some of the info from some ageing memory banks!

Mike

I wasn't sure if it could work, but yep it has been fun - thanks a lot for joining in guys, and be sure to have a celebratory beverage on me.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S