Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Raiding Caps / Headwear

tn.drummond

I recently saw a number of photographs (sorry, not mine so cannot post) of WW1 soldiers wearing WW2 commando style forage caps. My description may leave a little to be desired but they were of the woollen elasticated side type prevalent in post WW2 war movies. In one picture they were worn by the Welsh Horse and in the other by the Essex Regt.

Were these used by trench raiders or were they some kind of standard issue.? Any help gratefully received.

Wilfendo,

This was known aa a cap comforter. They were a long standing issue item of kit. As you say most familiar to us today through use by WW2 commando troops, but also very commonly seen during WW1.

Below is a link to a photo of an example in my collection. Basically it is a knitted woollen tube sewn up at each end. They could be worn as a scarf or fashioned into the sort of headgear you describe.

Regards

Tocemma

cap comforter

Elasticated?! Just well-knitted. Used initially to warm the head under a battle-bowler in winter. Antony

Wilfendo,

This was known aa a cap comforter. They were a long standing issue item of kit. As you say most familiar to us today through use by WW2 commando troops, but also very commonly seen during WW1.

Below is a link to a photo of an example in my collection. Basically it is a knitted woollen tube sewn up at each end. They could be worn as a scarf or fashioned into the sort of headgear you describe.

Regards

Tocemma

cap comforter

When were they first issued Tocem? I have never heard of them in WW1 and would be interested to learn more about their provenance. I have seen the woollen hats issued to the troops in Winter 1914 (most famously photographed by an officer of the Cameronians in 19 Bde, who defied orders forbidding photography (thankfully for posterity)). The hats were of a kind with a small peak and a small bobble on top and made from a tightly knitted, almost felt like woollen jersey that nonetheless retained a degree of stretch. The exact same type of hat was still issued in more modern times for outward bound/adventure training. I have not yet seen a WW1 soldier in a cap comforter so if there are any photos of them in wear it would be interesting if they could be posted.

Here are some photos (with references) illustrating the cap. I personally find this garment and other cold weather knitted balaclavas, etc to be fascinating. The reason being that they give the impression an anachronism since it was heavily associated with WWII and which modern watchmen caps derive. GW examples seem to be rare as I've been looking for one for a few years.

Anyway here are some photos...

Unknown unit possibly in training due to the lack of PH hoods and/or respirators for 1916-18 period.

5085038770_11d3d082d8_z.jpg

icon_all_rights.png All rights reserved by zombikombi1959

A photo from forum pal Joe Sweeney illustrating RFA artillerymen at Thiepval Sept. 1916

lwfWinter0.jpg

And one of my favorite photos of the Great War. Trench raiders of the 1/8th Kings Liverpool at Wailly, Arras - April 18, 1916. IWM Q510

Territorials.jpg

And some further examples of knitted items of all kinds which made their appearance as early as the first Ypres. The particularly brutal conditions of the First Ypres show plenty of 1914 examples of cap comforters, balaclavas and even night watch caps.

img005.jpghelmetb.jpg

There is also a photo IWM Q60737 of the remnants of the 1st London Scottish after their baptism of fire at Wytschaete Oct 31, 1914. Trying to locate it on the net to no avail.. lol

And one of my favorite photos of the Great War. Trench raiders of the 1/8th Kings Liverpool at Wailly, Arras - April 18, 1916. IWM Q510

An interesting picture, as it shows them still armed with CLLE rifles and P.'88 bayonets in April 1916, although I think a couple of them may have SMLEs.

Regards

TonyE

Thank you Alex, a cracking photo, I agree. The hat I was attempting to describe is shown very well on the man seated (next to soldier in pickelhaube) with the balaclava part of the hat down on his face and you can make out the small peak. Also the seaman standing at bottom is wearing the same type. I can see what appears to be a cap comforter on some of the men and the other type on others. It seems they had quite a mixture as you say.

Yes, those are clearly cap comforters with the distinctive sharp outline created by the stitched closure of the woollen tube. Very interesting to see.

@ Tony, I'm assuming that since this was a Territorial unit, SMLE's would have been in short supply until at least the Somme. Would it be possible that Long Lees may still have been in service at the front at this stage too? I could only observe the muzzles in this photo and Long Lees, CCLE and Lee-Metford muzzles at distance look identical lol.

But then again someone as old hat as you are with it can tell without looking at the photograph... :whistle:

@Wilfendo: to your original question they were standard issue as stated before. They can actually be seen quite frequently throughout First Ypres photos (particularly among Scot units). There's an very interesting photo in David Lomas' First Ypres Osprey campaign book illustrating Tommies of an unspecified unit holding the line in Ploegsteert Wood late October. One of the lads in the photo is wearing a very modern looking watch cap which contrasts starkly with the peaked SD caps of his mates. Knitted garments like this were often home produced for reasons of patriotism and supply stop gaps. Ladies on the home front would often keenly knit together and send the parcels out for not just their own sons, husbands and fathers. Instructions for how to make balaclavas could be found in mag articles.

@ Forgsmile: Indeed it is a fantastic shot. A quiet confidence is on display here that is remarkable and equally admirable. I wouldn't want to be a German sentry. Interesting to see the Gor Blimey on backwards as well. I've seen this practice in other photos too. A friend of mine, Tony Barton, once remarked on the sad disappearance of the Gor Blimey after the Somme as being indicative of the casualties of the year. Photos post 1916 capturing Gor Blimey wearer's (presumably vets of the Somme) display mostly artillerymen.

As for the raiders, I like Richard Holmes' description of their burnt cork smeared faces, balaclavas, comforters, etc as having a 'piratical' look about them!! Most fitting indeed.

Just dug up another one from the Long Long Trail page. Haven't seen this one before. Could be Ploegsteert. firstypres1.jpg

Lad in between the two German officers is wearing one as well

image.jpg

Here's a well-known photo of 2nd Argylls I believe at Armentieres May 1915. Comforters/balaclavas can be seen in use.

Somewhere, there's another photo I believe of an Argyll wearing a balaclava while filling a sandbag.

post-60205-0-77991100-1302090578.jpg

Argylls in proto-gas masks Spring 1915. Note the cap-comforter

post-60205-0-82206100-1302090701.jpg

The 2nd Argylls at Bois Grenier June 1915

post-60205-0-85312800-1302092551.jpg

post-7141-0-92043400-1302098690.jpg

17th Lancers 1914. I think they have changed the Regimental motto to 'Death or Comfy'....Note the lack of moustaches on these 1914 regular soldiers. Not as universal as is sometimes supposed.

ps Alex posted a view of some knitted 'puttee stockings' I have a pair of these which I will post a photo of.

Frogsmile,

Like TM--my knowledge tanks pre 1900. I believe there was a Khaki wool version prior to SD introduction, but in the 1894 Clothing Regs no Cap comforter is recorded.

After SD was introduced in 1902 the history of Cap Comforters through the Great War was as follows:

Army Order 10, January 1902,

Cap, fatigue, comforter: Knitted in brown wool, and can be used as a stable or fatigue cap, and as a neck wrap with service dress jacket.

The history of the cap comforter is very close to that of the cardigan. The Cap Comforter, Brown Woollen, Universal Service Dress was introduced with pattern 5077/1901, 10 April 1901. It was renewed by pattern 5077a/1903, 15 December 1903. As with the cardigan the yarn was changed from brown to drab with pattern 5077b/1906, 30 May 1906. By 1907 the cap comforter was being tracked as a piece of Service Dress by the Priced Vocabulary and is recorded as being available in three sizes. Size 1 was for men wearing helmets up to size 20 ½. Size 2 was for men wearing helmets up to size 20 ¾ to 22 ¼. Size 3 was for men wearing helmets above size 22 ¾. By 1915 the cap comforter was being tracked as a necessary by the Priced Vocabulary and is recorded as being available in three sizes. Size 1 was for men wearing helmets up to size 6 ½. Size 2 was for men wearing helmets of sizes 6 5/8 to 7 1/8. Size 3 was for men wearing helmets above size 7 1/8. In all these cases helmets does not refer to the wartime metal helmet.

Cap comforters were to be marked with Regiment or Corps and number using ½ inch stamps with paint on the end.

All told, between 4 August 1914 and 31 January 1919 13,030,877 cap comforters were ordered.

Joe Sweeney

@ Tony, I'm assuming that since this was a Territorial unit, SMLE's would have been in short supply until at least the Somme. Would it be possible that Long Lees may still have been in service at the front at this stage too? I could only observe the muzzles in this photo and Long Lees, CCLE and Lee-Metford muzzles at distance look identical lol.

But then again someone as old hat as you are with it can tell without looking at the photograph... :whistle:

/quote]

April 1916 is quite late even for TF units to still have long rifles, although not by any means unknown. I would have thought that by then they would most likely have been CLLEs as conversion started in July 1908. These were obviously at the front because the picture shows a trench raiding party.

They would not have been L-Ms, as when war broke out all the L-Ms that had not already been converted were in store. Most were then converted although a few were issued "as is" to K1 battalions whilst training and later withdrawn for conversion.

Regards

tonyE

Thanks Joe,

Just had a look at some of my WW2 kit, seems the sizing may have stayed the same. I have a size 2 and a size 3 cap comforter with 1940 and 1942 dates respectively. By the early WW2 period they were a pale slightly yellowy green colour, the same as the WW2 issue sweater. Later in WW2 olive green and brown examples are also seen. Post WW2 they seem to be all olive green in colour.

I think the RM were long time users of these comforters in commando training, anyone know if they are still used by RM recruits? Slightly off topic I know, but interesting nonetheless.

Must be a candidate for one of the longest serving items of issue kit I would think.

Tocemma

Just had a look at the image in post 15 again. Interesting that three of the men are wearing what would appear to be mackintosh or canvas raincoats rather than serge greatcoats. Possibly Regimentally acquired. I am not aware of an issue pattern at that date but there are many strange items to be spotted in photos from this period of the war. Note the strap on the right cuff of the soldier looking through the parapet loophole.

Tocemma

Frogsmile,

Like TM--my knowledge tanks pre 1900. I believe there was a Khaki wool version prior to SD introduction, but in the 1894 Clothing Regs no Cap comforter is recorded.

After SD was introduced in 1902 the history of Cap Comforters through the Great War was as follows:

“Army Order 10, January 1902,

Cap, fatigue, comforter: Knitted in brown wool, and can be used as a stable or fatigue cap, and as a neck wrap with service dress jacket.”

The history of the cap comforter is very close to that of the cardigan. The “Cap Comforter, Brown Woollen, Universal Service Dress” was introduced with pattern 5077/1901, 10 April 1901. It was renewed by pattern 5077a/1903, 15 December 1903. As with the cardigan the yarn was changed from brown to drab with pattern 5077b/1906, 30 May 1906. By 1907 the cap comforter was being tracked as a piece of Service Dress by the Priced Vocabulary and is recorded as being available in three sizes. Size 1 was for men wearing helmets up to size 20 ½. Size 2 was for men wearing helmets up to size 20 ¾ to 22 ¼. Size 3 was for men wearing helmets above size 22 ¾. By 1915 the cap comforter was being tracked as a necessary by the Priced Vocabulary and is recorded as being available in three sizes. Size 1 was for men wearing helmets up to size 6 ½. Size 2 was for men wearing helmets of sizes 6 5/8 to 7 1/8. Size 3 was for men wearing helmets above size 7 1/8. In all these cases “helmets” does not refer to the wartime metal helmet.

Cap comforters were to be marked with Regiment or Corps and number using ½ inch stamps with paint on the end.

All told, between 4 August 1914 and 31 January 1919 13,030,877 cap comforters were ordered.

Joe Sweeney

Cracking stuff Joe and definitive too. Very interesting that the cap comforter has been on the clothing inventory for so long. Currently it has been replaced by a thin woollen "Balaclava" that in turn had replaced the "Headover" modelled on WW2 Wehrmacht Toques.

Thanks Joe,

Just had a look at some of my WW2 kit, seems the sizing may have stayed the same. I have a size 2 and a size 3 cap comforter with 1940 and 1942 dates respectively. By the early WW2 period they were a pale slightly yellowy green colour, the same as the WW2 issue sweater. Later in WW2 olive green and brown examples are also seen. Post WW2 they seem to be all olive green in colour.

I think the RM were long time users of these comforters in commando training, anyone know if they are still used by RM recruits? Slightly off topic I know, but interesting nonetheless.

Must be a candidate for one of the longest serving items of issue kit I would think.

Tocemma

RM recruits were until recently using the issue woollen "Headover" (of Falklands fame) in the same way as a Cap Comforter, but I am unsure what they are wearing currently.

Sorry confused editing from me!

On the subject of strange headgear... Anyone know what this is?

First from an album of Argyll's photos in my collection, early 1915. An odd cap which appears to be made from canvas, press-studded front peak, folded down in this view. Just visible at the sides of the cap a folded over neck curtain, fastened at the crown a bit like a deerstalker, possibly by another press stud or button.

post-7141-0-19207400-1302107960.jpg

Second view, from a published photo identified as Royal Fusiliers neer Ploegsteert. Again probably early 1915.

Two different units, similar time period. Anyone seen this in photos? Anyone have one? It looks very similar to a WW2 Italian Bustina, and is unlike any of the blue forage caps of the period in the way that the peak and neck flap is constructed. This one has puzzled me for some time.

Tocemma