Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Frock Question

4thGordons

Your point about the standard line infantry pattern wings (which I described as the ribbed pattern), FROGSMILE, is, I think, quite significant to this discussion. Highland battalions had an authorized strength of six pipers to be dressed at the public expense. As these battalions usually paraded 15-20 pipers during the pre-1914 period, who was to pick up the bill for dress of the excess pipers? Why the officers, of course. Each officer made a contribution to the Pipe Fund for these matters that were paid for regimentally. It is not surpising then that the officers exercised their preference over the dress detail of their pipers (including shoulder wings) who regularly performed in the officers mess on guest nights. Much of this is explained by David Murray in Music of the Scottish Regiments.

At least for the Gordon Highlanders, a changover to the standard line infantry pattern wings seems to have occurred by the inter-war period. The British officer corps by that time had become more egalitarian with a consequent lesser ability and inclination to contribute to the Pipe Fund from personal finances. This appears to be, from my perspective, a rational explanation for the adoption of the standard line infantry wings.

I will look at piper photos of the other Highland regiments over the next day or so to see if the same transition may be evident.

Yes that makes sense and it will be interesting to see what your conclusions are.

and 1908:

541. The provision of SD is compulsory .........

546. two suits of uniform will be provided ...... one of which must be SD ...........

547. as 479 above.

thus, scarlet frocks and Scots equivalent abounded between 1902 and 1914 ........... and cheaper than tunics of course.

I am aware that they existed in the regulations, but curiously I have not seen so many photos of men in scarlet frocks after SD was issued, apart from during 1914, when just about every scrap of uniform clothing was called into use to equip Kitchener's Volunteers.

Yes that makes sense and it will be interesting to see what your conclusions are.

Notes on wearing of shoulder wings by pipers of Highland regiments are below. This is based on photgraphic evidence in my possession that is necessarily sporadic and should be so calibrated.

Black Watch

• Wings not worn through 1896;
  • Standard line infantry pattern worn both Bns 1899 through 2000s.

Highland Light Infantry

• 1st Bn: scalloped pattern 1905-14
  • 2nd Bn: standard pattern 1904 through 1930s
  • Photos of HLI pipers are few in my archives.

Seaforth Highlanders

• No wings worn in 1870s by pipers of 78th
  • A double-scalloped pattern worn by both Bns 1905 - 1930s
  • By 1950s only the PM had double-scalloped wings; none at all for other pipers

Gordon Highlanders

• In 1887 photo, no wings were on doublets;
  • As previously reported, scalloped pattern worn both Bns 1890 through 1914;
  • By inter-war both Bns switched to standard pattern; may have occurred as early as 1913 in 2nd Bn;
  • 1st Bn continued standard pattern through 1994.

Cameron Highlanders

• No wings evident 1st Bn through 1896; no wings 2nd Bn 1897 - 1902;
  • Standard pattern both Bns 1905 through inter-war and 1st Bn 1948 - 1961.
  • 2nd Bn: No wings on white frock 1902 - 1914;
  • Interestingly, the permanent staff PM of the Militia Bn 1906 and PM 3rd Bn 1912 wore an elaborate scalloped pattern.

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

• 91st: no wings on frock or doublet through 1890s; 1905 through inter-war scalloped pattern;
  • By 1955 no wings on coatee of 1st Bn;
  • 93rd: scalloped pattern seen on doublets as early as 1884 and through inter-war period; 1893-1901 no wings on foreign service frock but added about 1905.

The only conclusion I can draw, as before, is that dress of pipers was whimsical according to the preferences of the officers of the Pipes Committee in each battalion with possible influence by those COs who were interested. Before 1914 the officers largely regarded the pipers as their own resource and an intrinsic part of life in the mess. The earliest evidence I have of shoulder wings on pipers is this photo of the 93rd pipers in 1884 at Parkhurst.

post-50252-0-65974400-1338648817_thumb.j

Notes on wearing of shoulder wings by pipers of Highland regiments are below. This is based on photgraphic evidence in my possession that is necessarily sporadic and should be so clabrated.

Black Watch

• Wings not worn through 1896;
  • Standard line infantry pattern worn both Bns 1899 through 2000s.

Highland Light Infantry

• 1st Bn: scalloped pattern 1905-14
  • 2nd Bn: standard pattern 1904 through 1930s
  • Photos of HLI pipers are few in my archives.

Seaforth Highlanders

• No wings worn in 1870s by pipers of 78th
  • A double-scalloped pattern worn by both Bns 1905 - 1930s
  • By 1950s only the PM had double-scalloped wings; none at all for other pipers

Gordon Highlanders

• As previously reported, scalloped pattern worn both Bns 1890 through 1914;
  • By inter-war both Bns switched to standard pattern; may have occurred as early as 1913 in 2nd Bn;
  • 1st Bn continued standard pattern through 1994.

Cameron Highlanders

• No wings evident 1st Bn through 1896; no wings 2nd Bn 1897 - 1902;
  • Standard pattern both Bns 1905 through inter-war and 1st Bn 1948 - 1961.
  • 2nd Bn: No wings on white frock 1902 - 1914;
  • Interestingly, the permanent staff PM of the Militia Bn 1906 and PM 3rd Bn 1912 wore an elaborate scalloped pattern.

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

• 91st: no wings on frock or doublet through 1890s; 1905 through inter-war scalloped pattern;
  • By 1955 no wings on coatee of 1st Bn;
  • 93rd: scalloped pattern seen on doublets as early as 1884 and through inter-war period; 1893-1901 no wings on foreign service frock but added about 1905.

The only conclusion I can draw, as before, is that dress of pipers was whimsical according to the preferences of the officers of the Pipes Committee in each battalion with possible influence by those COs who were interested. Before 1914 the officers largely regarded the pipers as their own resource and an intrinsic part of life in the mess. The earliest evidence I have of shoulder wings on pipers is this photo of the 93rd pipers in 1884 at Parkhurst.

post-50252-0-65974400-1338648817_thumb.j

That makes complete sense to me and once again confirms the semi autonomy of commanding officers when it came to items of dress. This would be an interesting feature on the Victorian Wars Forum, which I think you will find interesting if you are not already a member: http://www.victorianwars.com/

That makes complete sense to me and once again confirms the semi autonomy of commanding officers when it came to items of dress. This would be an interesting feature on the Victorian Wars Forum, which I think you will find interesting if you are not already a member: http://www.victorianwars.com/

FROGSMILE, I was not aware of the Victorian Wars Forum. Thank you for bringing it to my attention; I will take a look.