Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If You Go Down To The Woods Today.......

John Cubin

From anecdotes, a shell which lost its driving band made a recognisable sound as it ( hopefully) passed overhead. Until ir passed on, it caused great anxiety as its flight was unpredictable.

Co-incidentally, at the gate of the cemetery in Auchon Villers when I visited a couple of years ago, there was a shell with its band in a very bad state where someone had been trying to remove it but had given up. Perhaps they paused in their labours and their eye fell on the headstones and last resting places and that had given them reason to reconsider just how badly they wanted the bit of scrap. Or perhaps they had simply nipped off for a bigger hammer.

4.5 in HE round removed from sportsfield Langemark 2006 No corrosion after being burried 90 years.

John

post-1365-0-07332700-1301499986.jpg

From anecdotal evidence, all the farmers in the Ypres area were to a greater or lesser extent in the scrap metal business after the war. Cutting the drive band off was quite usual.

Hugh

4.5 in HE round removed from sportsfield Langemark 2006 No corrosion after being burried 90 years.

John

That blue clay is incredible at preserving things due to the lack of oxygen.

I don't believe any driving band would come off a shell in flight. They are too tightly located on the body of the shell. There are many photos of French soldiers and post war farmers attacking shells with hammer and chisel to remove the bands to make trench art.

I include a photo of quite a rare example. A complete driving band found at the site of an explosion. In this case a German cross channel shell from WW2. This was dug up in a garden in Folkestone.

John

post-8629-0-88573100-1301563397.jpg

This is one of my very favourite WW1 topics!, I just love things that go BANG!. This shell was in the woods behind the destroyed village of Douaumont on the Verdun front. Note what is I thnk a large dent in the shell, could it be that this contains gas?.

1402107971_39f4998dfe_z.jpg

Lots more here:

Flickr photoset

Regards

Norman

What size shell is it John?

Bairnsfather

What size shell is it John?

Hi Mick

It's a 6 inch. Most people imagine the cross channel shells to be huge but most were 6 - 8 inch shells shot up long guns with large charges.

John

True Gunner, but what about the 38cm guns at Batterie Todt?

Cheers

TonyE

(Off topic I know, sorry)

True Gunner, but what about the 38cm guns at Batterie Todt?

Cheers

TonyE

(Off topic I know, sorry)

Quite agree Tony. The Germans varied their calibres as did we. Our Guns went from 9.2 inch (Citadel and South Foreland Batteries)up to the 18 in big guns like Boche Buster, with the likes of Scene Shifter and others being 13.5 inch. However the Germans did I believe sleeve some of their larger guns to fire smaller shells longer distances. One shell of these smaller shells from Todt did I think reach the outskirts of Maidstone.

John

One shell of these smaller shells from Todt did I think reach the outskirts of Maidstone.

What did it do — land on a railway wagon as it pulled out of Dover? Wissant to Maidstone is about 80 miles.

Wissant to Maidstone is 55 miles according to my Autoroute software, so still a fair way for a shell of any kind!

Also, I don't think there were any small calibre long range guns at Todt, only the 38cm and local defence guns.

Regards

tonyE

There were lots of shells lying about in the Twenties and lots of shrapnel bullets and lots of unemployment. The unemployed scavenged the battle field for scrap and sold it off. It is quite easy to remove driving bands with a 2 lb hammer and a sharp chisel and shrapnel could be picked up by the basket load. The result you see today. SW

Wissant to Maidstone is 55 miles according to my Autoroute software, so still a fair way for a shell of any kind!

Also, I don't think there were any small calibre long range guns at Todt, only the 38cm and local defence guns.

Regards

tonyE

They were experimenting with smaller shells - large charges with the idea of reaching London. Their problem was spotting the hits as the recce plans kept getting shot down, so they abandoned it, hoping the V3 would do the job.

John

(Apologies to the topic starter for going off course).

There were lots of shells lying about in the Twenties and lots of shrapnel bullets and lots of unemployment. The unemployed scavenged the battle field for scrap and sold it off. It is quite easy to remove driving bands with a 2 lb hammer and a sharp chisel and shrapnel could be picked up by the basket load. The result you see today. SW

From experience I would disagee that removing a driving band, even an 18 pounder is easy.

Wissant to Maidstone is 55 miles according to my Autoroute software

I used the AA Route Planner and have just discovered that it doesn't give the distance 'as the crow flies', but the length of a route that involves going through the Channel Tunnel ... :blush:

Using the ruler thingy on Google Earth the straight line distance from Wissant to Maidstone is 56.5 miles.

Martin

Using the ruler thingy on Google Earth the straight line distance from Wissant to Maidstone is 56.5 miles.

Martin

Still less than the 'Paris Gun' achieved in WW1 but at far less cost.

John

I'm with the coastguard and sometimes we get called out to deal with WW2 munitions on a beach close to where I live mostly mortar bombs and anti tank shells. Theres plenty of brass banding to be found on the beach..........

I'm with the coastguard and sometimes we get called out to deal with WW2 munitions on a beach close to where I live mostly mortar bombs and anti tank shells. Theres plenty of brass banding to be found on the beach..........

Driving bands are normally copper and brass rings normally come from fuzes.

John

Definatly copper bandings they have got the rifling groves on them. Got a good photo of a mortar bomb on the beach when you turned it round in had the date 1942 stamped into the casing. EOD came and blew the lot up....

Dazz

If you've got them in the house Jules - I'll be giving your neighbourhood a miss till I hear the bangs!!! :blush:

I don't know about France and Belgium, but surely the retrieval of metals was a common profession in post war impoverished Italy. Of course copper was the most valuable, but also steel and iron were collected at places close enough to roads. "Experts" did manipulate rounds having a deep knowledge of their mechanisms and variants. Of course mortality was quite high... but most had no other choice to feed their families. The activity regained popularity in the mid '30ies when Italy was subject to international sanctions during the aggression to Ethiopia and prices of metals raised greatly.

It is most likely that any shell found now days without its copper band had it stripped away immediately after the war.

Manipulating those shells today is much likely more dangerous today than it was immediately after the war. Internal mechanisms would not act now in the same way they were supposed to when they were still nearly new and not corroded. Though most explosives used in shells are pretty stable, some are not in the long term. A good example is Pycric Acid which forms Pycrate Salts with heavy metals. Those are much less stable and really dangerous.