Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering the Ist Day of the Somme

Guest Ian Bowbrick

A belated mention of respect for the 91st Brigade, and in particular my own subject of interest the 1st South Staffords, who took and held Mametz.

Unable to comment yesterday - but Herbert, and many others, were in my thoughts.

Pte Frederick William Dunkley - 7th Buffs, kia in the area north of Carnoy between Mametz and Montauban.

Marc

Thanks for putting the poppy on Dunkley's grave. Do you have any info on him ?

Mick

Hi Michael,

I have quite alot of info on Dunkley and the 7th Buffs, will email you off forum over the weekend.

Marc

Yesterday above all days was very hard for me ... I listened to Joan Baez - her Waltzing Matilda, Brothers in Arms, the Battle Hymn of the Republic, etc. It was tears all morning ... at 7:30 I stood in my back yard and looked east ... and wondered, tried to imagine my thoughts of going up and over ... the first 10 - 15 minutes or so of everything going well ... quiet, clear ... and then all hell breaking loose and everything collapsing ...

July 1st happened to be my Civil War lecture in class ... one that is normally quite emotional ... but as I read Faulkner's Intruder in the Dust description of the Southern gut feeling about the time JUST Before Pickett's Charge when everything was beautiful and could be won ... and merely a half an hour later when the Cause was Lost ... I did not see my Uncles who died in Pennsylvania that day ... I imagined 7:30 in France and then 7:45

Is our memory a blessing or a curse? Is it not better for our poor souls to let the mists cover these pictures ... but, being who we are ... I guess we have no other choice but to think and remember and feel ...

Remembering all the men who fought and died on the Somme, French, British, Australian, South African, Canadian, New Zealand and even a handful of Americans.

May they all rest in silence, peace and their own definition of glory.

And not forgetting the many thousands of German soldiers, who suffered and died.

As I went into work at 7:30 AM, I bowed my head toward the east for a minute, thinking of what it must have felt like for all those who bravely went over the bags on July 1st.

Indeed, we will remember them.

Cynthia

Guest lesley
Remembering all the men who fought and died on the Somme, French, British, Australian, South African, Canadian, New Zealand and even a handful of Americans

And not forgetting the many thousands of German soldiers, who suffered and died.

Absolutely Raster,

There were some German people at the Lochnagar Commemoration yesterday and parts of the ceremony were conducted in German as well as French and English. We seem to forget that even though they were our enemy, the many thousands of Germans who lost their lives were husbands, sons & brothers. The loss for their families was as painful as our loss. They too deserve to be remembered.

In memory of all the brave soldiers who fought and died during the 1st July

Remembering all those who fought, particularly the London Territorials of 56 Division at Gommecourt

Charles

I would like to add my name to the list of those remembering this day. Canadians didn't take part in the events of 1 July (Newfoundland didn't join Canada until decades later), but the entire Empire must have mourned the losses of that day.

I started to look for 1 July,1916 casualties in Ted Wigney's book on Canadian war dead, and found quite a few. Some were officers like Capt. A.J. Anderson, of "C" Company, 10/W.Yorks. Many Canadians obtained commissions in Imperial units, just as in World War Two, hundreds of CANLOAN officers were platoon and company commanders in British infantry units.

Others were enlisted men, who must have had strong British connections. I only got through the "A"s and "B"s but found six or seven 1 July casualties.

Having just finally returned home.

This year I managed to be in front of Sheffield Park at 7.30, not a photo oportunity just a time for quiet reflection with the six other people who were there.

JOhn

In the 'Sunken Road' at 7:30 with a few friends and made some new ones.

Good to see Jack Horsfall again.

Always Remembering.

God Blesses them All.

Mandy.