Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering the Ist Day of the Somme

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I passed the Cenotaph today at 7-30 am today and couldn't help but stop and think of those events 88 years ago.............

Particularly remebering the Londoners of the 8th East Surrey's who kicked footballs towards the German lines in No Mans Land.

And 3868 Pte Albert Wade 52nd Coy MGC who was wounded on this day.

Ian :ph34r:

Thanks Ian

I'm remembering the 7th Buffs who were in support of them and the 7th Royal West Kents. They took 199 casualties.

Mick

post-4-1088669277.jpg

Guest Desmond6

In memory of the 12th Btn. Royal Irish Rifles, Central Antrim Volunteers, who were in the 108th Brigade, 36th Ulster Division on July 1. And also the many Irishmen from all creeds and classes who fought on that day with regular battalions and with non-Irish regiments.

Des

Also remembering the many German soldiers who faced them on that day.

Lest we forget ... and if we do God help us.

Edited by Desmond6

In memory of the men of the 137th Staffordshire Brigade in particular the 308 casualties, in the attack on the Gommecourt Salient.

Doug

No unit in particular, just thinking of all the people whose world changed on that day, the soldiers and their families.

Ali

Unfortunately could not go to France this year but I did pause for 2 minutes at the memorials at Hyde Park Corner at 7.30.

We will remember them.

Guest scotlad

I was wondering this morning about how far my great uncle managed to get after going over before the shell or the bullet killed him.

A lot of Yorkshire men fell on that day, he was one of them.

Pte. John Haley, 10th West Yorkshire Regt.

Remembering my Great Uncle, 15558 Cpl.James O'Mara, 11/ELR, who went over at Serre on July 1st and survived unscathed. Also remembering his mates of the "Burnley Pals" who went with him, and didn't :( .

Dave.

Remembering my Great Uncle, Private Reginald Dean, 21st Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment, pioneers of the 4th Division,

'Missing', presumed 'Killed in Action', 1/7/16.

Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

This is from Pen & Sword’s edition of John Masefield’s “The Old Front Line”. It’s an extract from the introduction written by Col Howard Green, M.C.

“July 1st

Let us see what the Germans saw at 7:30am on July 1:

‘At 7:30 am the hurricane of shells ceased as suddenly as it had begun. Our men at once clambered up the steep shafts leading from the dug-outs to daylight and ran for the nearest shell craters. The machine-guns were pulled out of the dug-outs and hurriedly placed into position, their crews dragging the heavy ammunition boxes up the stops and out to the guns. A rough firing line was thus rapidly established. As soon as in position, a series of extended lines of British infantry were seen moving forward from the British trenches. The first line appeared to continue without end to right and left. It was quickly followed by a second line, then a third and fourth. They came on at a steady easy pace as if expecting to find nothing alive in our trenches.

…The front line, preceded by a thin line of skirmishers and bombers, was now half-way across No Man’s Land. ‘Get ready’ was passed along our front from crater to crater, and heads appeared over the crater edges as final positions were taken up for the best view and machine-guns mounted firmly in place. A few minutes later, when the leading British line was within 100 yards, the rattle of the machine-guns and rifle fire broke out from along the whole line of craters. Some fired kneeling so as to get a better target over the broken ground, while others in the excitement of the moment stood up, regardless of their own safety, to fire into the crowd of men in front of them. The advance rapidly crumpled under this hail of shells and bullets. All along the line men could be seen throwing their arms into the air and collapsing never to move again. Badly wounded rolled about in their agony, and others less severely injured crawled to the nearest shell-hole. The noise of battle became indescribable. The shouting of orders and the shrill of British cheers as they charged forward could be heard above the violent and intense fusillade of machine-guns and the bursting bombs, and above the deep thundering of the artillery and the shell explosions. With all this were mingled the moans and groans of the wounded, the cries for help and the last screams of death. Again and again the extended lines of British infantry broke against the German defence like waves against a cliff, only to be beaten back. It was an amazing spectacle of un-exampled gallantry, courage and bull-dog determination on both sides.’”

Remembering my great-uncle Sgt Francis Albert Hawes, HQ IV Corps Heavy Artillery - died aged 25 on 11 July 1916.

Remembering the men of the 11th Notts & Derby, who sustained 508 casualties this day in 1916.

And Sgt John Brocklehurst of the 16th Manchesters in front of Montauban, and Pte Charles Shaw of 1st Royal Fusiliers, as a reminder that not every man killed this day went over the top on the Somme.

Both with Sandbach connections, and both on Thiepval.

No wonder that we have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for what they

Scotlad,

I agree.

Reading the account made me shiver. It really brings home the horrors of the day.

Like Greenwoodman i'm thinking of my Great Grandfather's battalion and wondering how he survived the slaughter.

Not a mention on regional news programmes in the Yorkshire area.

I think Charles Douie's comment is becomming true (at least in Yorkshire).

'Here above the Ancre, lie many of the most gallant of my regiment, men who were my friends, men whose memory i shall revere to the end of time. Some of them were soldiers by profession; others had turned aside from their chosen avocations in obedience to a call which might not be denied...they have passed into silence. We hear their voices no more. Yet it must be that somewhere the music of those voices linger...'

Chris.

Remembering my grandad, Tom Brough, who took Montauban as one of the 17th Manchesters and his mates who are there still.

John

"and I saw beauty in death, in dead men breath..."

Many forum members out today remembering 1st July 1916.

In rememberance and respect for all who fell, and those who survived July 1st 1916. Shelley

To all of those poor souls who have never been found after that dreadful day..

Tony

Having compiled a memorial book to the fallen of both World Wars for my home village and managed to get it placed in the Parish Church, ( dedication to take place next month). I went into Church this morning to turn over the page, there were five names listed who lost their lives on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. Amongst them was John William Streets, Poet , author of the book, "The Undying Splendour" York and Lancs., killed in the attack on Serre.

May they Rest in Peace.

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Remembering all the men who fought and died on the Somme, French, British, Australian, South African, Canadian, New Zealand and even a handful of Americans.

May they all rest in silence, peace and their own definition of glory.

I went down to my local memorial today and laid a poppy in memory of two men killed on the 1st July 1916.

Pte William Frank Gapes - 2nd Essex, kia whilst attacking the Quadrilateral at Serre.

Pte Frederick William Dunkley - 7th Buffs, kia in the area north of Carnoy between Mametz and Montauban.

Gone but not forgotten.

Marc

Remembering my Great Uncle, Pte Arthur Glew, 10/KOYLI who made it through the 1st of July, 1916 only to succumb on 25th August 1918. Also remembering with great appreciation and admiration the 58 killed, 265 wounded and 162 missing of the battalion who suffered terribly that day.

Andy

Remembering the men of the 11th Border Regiment (Lonsdale Pals). Who fought and died , were wounded or survived , 1st July 1916, Battle of the Somme.

Remembering all those , especially on that day, every one a hero ,who did their duty to their families and country.

MEN COULD DO NO MORE

Pte Frederick William Dunkley - 7th Buffs, kia in the area north of Carnoy between Mametz and Montauban.

Marc

Thanks for putting the poppy on Dunkley's grave. Do you have any info on him ?

Mick