Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a British uniform

tinypink

In the family we think this soldier is a relative found in a Gt Aunts collection of photo's anyone have any Ideas to the uniformpost-65970-0-10092200-1299279300.jpg

It is indeed a British uniform! He appears to be in the Royal Artillery. Looks like he is maybe a senior non-commissioned officer by the stripes,

It is indeed a British uniform! He appears to be in the Royal Artillery. Looks like he is maybe a senior non-commissioned officer by the stripes,

thank you for that getting a bit closer have tried the on line idexes with the name we think who this maybe but no luck

Thanks Angela

thank you for that getting a bit closer have tried the on line idexes with the name we think who this maybe but no luck

Thanks Angela

By his badge Artillery, by his bandoleer some one who did not travel on foot, by his boots not a horseman so possibly a driver in some form of motorised unit.

By his badge Artillery, by his bandoleer some one who did not travel on foot, by his boots not a horseman so possibly a driver in some form of motorised unit.

If you look closely He has spurs on so not much use to a motorised unit...........

He has a Farrier qualification badge "Horse shoe" with another badge above maybe a crown?

Several Overseas Service Chevrons on the lower right cuff as well, so picture's no earlier than 1918.

If you look closely He has spurs on so not much use to a motorised unit...........

He has a Farrier qualification badge "Horse shoe" with another badge above maybe a crown?

Yes I think the appointment was Farrier Quartermaster Sergeant if with a crown, but Grumpy or 54Bty will know for sure.

Just a Farrier Sergeant I think.....

This is a great reference site...

Farrier Sergeant 1917-1921 here:

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/information/uniforms_and_equipment/badges_and_insignia/rank_aif_1917.php

Wider site here:

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/information/uniforms_and_equipment/badges_and_insignia/index.php

Rgds

Tim D

Farrier Quartermaster Sergeant

I'd agree to Farrier Sergeant. Has no wound stripes. Looks like atleasr 3 oversea chevrons.

With respect, Simon; Farrier Sergeant, not Farrier. Antony

I's a gun....Arty Farrier Sergeant.

Tim D

I's a gun....Arty Farrier Sergeant.

Tim D

Yes, well spotted Tim, I see it's a gun now.

Just a point of order - spurs were part of the RHA/RFA uniform depending on the order of dress - even for those who were MT drivers.

I would like to thank everyone who has put a reply most people believe that he was a quartermaster farrier sergeant Artillery i am a bit near to maybe finding his records.

I did notice that he was wearing spurs and thought something to do with horse's but one of my problem's being he was born in 1859 Bedfordshire was this to old for the army then I know people use to lie about their age.

Could he have been in the army before the first world war as he disapeared after 1881 he was talk about in the family no mention of him dieing in the war so will keep searching.

Once again thank you

Angela

Kevin

I looked at William Joyce records but my William not born in crewe but he was in the 5th Res Beds which I take to be Bedfordshire so possible this maybe him strange to be living in Crewe but in a Bedfordshire Regiment.

Find his wife in 1911 census in hospital having just had their son and the 3 girls in Mcgregor barracks no sign of William Joyce must have been oversea.

One daughter born South Africa one Limerwick this might be why not found next step to get marriage certificate.

Thanks again Angela

Just a point of order - spurs were part of the RHA/RFA uniform depending on the order of dress - even for those who were MT drivers.

And those who actually got on a horse usually either wore puttees with their ankle boots or wore proper riding boots.

I would imagine that a farrier of his seniority and doubtless vast experience (not to mention age) didn't spend much time on top of a horse and more in a cosy motor vehicle or back in the stables.

I would like to thank everyone who has put a reply most people believe that he was a quartermaster farrier sergeant Artillery i am a bit near to maybe finding his records.

I did notice that he was wearing spurs and thought something to do with horse's but one of my problem's being he was born in 1859 Bedfordshire was this to old for the army then I know people use to lie about their age.

Could he have been in the army before the first world war as he disapeared after 1881 he was talk about in the family no mention of him dieing in the war so will keep searching.

Once again thank you

Angela

Hi Angela,

He is a Farrier Sergeant, not a Quartermaster Sergeant...two different things.

Rgds

Tim D

Angela: to reinforce Tim's and Centurion's comments; he is a Farrier Sergeant - no more, no less. Yes, if he was born in 1859, he was quite (indeed, too) old for service in WW1. Are you sure that 1859 is his birth date? You didn't give us any indication of that in your original post. Where does that information come from? It helps us to help you if you post everything you know. Cheers, Antony

He is wearing putties and ankle boots with spurs , as you would on a horse.

I was the first to point out he was a farrier.....

He certainly did....

I would also date this photo as immediately before or during WW1...which would make this man 55+.

Rgds

Tim D

Angela,

I think you need to obtain the various birth cert.s going backwards to properly ascertain exactly your William Joyce's service career and BMD were. One thing is certain and that is that this man is not in the Beds. I wonder whether you are confusing 5 Reserve Brigade ( 5 Res. Bde) with Bed. If you looked at the records you will have noticed that 79021 Joyce (previous pre war no. 18597) had four girls and one boy. Sheila 1893?, Norah 1903, Eileen 1905, Kathleen 1907 and William 1911 all at Chorlton. Can't be your man. Good Luck

Kevin

And those who actually got on a horse usually either wore puttees with their ankle boots or wore proper riding boots.

I would imagine that a farrier of his seniority and doubtless vast experience (not to mention age) didn't spend much time on top of a horse and more in a cosy motor vehicle or back in the stables.

As he is "walking out" and in photographer's studio he is correctly wearing spurs.