Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/10061 THOMAS JAMES HIGHGATE Royal West Kent Regiment (1st Battalion, Queen's Own)

Cliff Rumsey

Thanks for posting these newsaper cuttings as i hadnt realised the extent of the Highgate family's sacrifice.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• 4 months later...

I posted a few days ago in the centenary forum regarding a graphic novel anthology I am putting together. I want to write the story of Thomas Highgate, the first soldier shot for desertion. I have found numerous references to him but they only give the basic information; mainly that, following the retreat at the Battle of Mons, he hid in a barn wearing a scarecrows clothes, and was later captured. He was undefended at his court martial because all his regiment had been killed, and was tried, convicted and executed in one day. What I'm looking for is more detail around his actual desertion, where he went, how long for, and who exactly found him. The info must exist as I've found a poem that alludes to him moving across villages and being caught by a gamekeeper.

If anyone has any info, or could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

and was tried, convicted and executed in one day

He was tried on the 6th and shot on the 8th Sep 1914.

Many thanks. I've come across numerous bite size stories that all state he was tried, sentenced and executed in one day. Seems they're simply copying and pasting each other!

Seems they're simply copying and pasting each other!

That's possible.

I've come across numerous bite size stories that all state he was tried, sentenced and executed in one day

I only know what I read in the other thread regarding the matter but it would seem quite quick for it to occur all in the same day.

If anyone has any info, or could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

The book "Shot at Dawn" has some information about Highgate. The book is usually sympathetic to the cause of those executed and I would always suggest you try to find a further source to corroborate the information in the book - no doubt the best source would be the court martial files at the National Archives.

The book does not mention the day he deserted - only that it was the day that his battalion started to advance again after the retreat from Mons. Putting two & two together, that was probably 5 September. He was discovered by a gamekeeper, hiding in a barn wearing civilain clothes with his uniform hidden nearby. He said to the gamekeeper (who was English) "I want to get out of it and this is how I am doing it". Gamekeeper called the gendarmes who arrested him and turned him over to the army. The book notes that he was unassisted at his trial "presumably at his own insistence" - it is a nonsense for your source to suggest this was because "all of his regiment had been killed". In fact, records of the CWGC show that only 57 men from the battalion had died between 22 August and 5 September.

To my mind to write such an account, you have to understand that prior to the outbreak of war Highgate had proved himself completely unsuited to soldiering and in my view was almost certainly going to be discharged as such if war had not been declared. I am familiar with the lives and service of many of the fine officers of the 1 Bn and regard them and their memories with the utmost respect but (admittedly with the benefit of hindsight) I do think it was irresponsible and unsound for whoever made the decision to take Highgate with them.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• 4 years later...

I am new to this forum but have read the several threads regarding Thomas HIGHGATE. I've picked up on the story of Thomas as I recently visited Perreuse Chateau Franco British Cemetery. I would like to put out there for others with more experience to pass opinion and comment upon a thought that has occurred to me.

I believe Thomas HIGHGATE was executed in the village of Boissy-Le-Chatel, and buried in the local communal cemetery. Post war his body was removed to Perreuse Chateau CWGC cemetery where his body now lies in Plot III; row A; grave 16. This grave is marked with a headstone stating "An Unknown Soldier of The Great War".

My source for this is the Concentration Documents recently placed online by the CWGC, The entry relating to the unknown soldier buried in Plot III, row A; grave 16 states the following - "Meaux SO sheet No 49 1:50000 234.6 x 163.2 (presumably a map sheet & ref') Com' Boisy-Le-Chatel". The various pieces of information on the form indicate there was a cross on the original grave but there were no details on the cross; and no details or and means of identification on the body. The most intriguing piece of information is the comment in the last column "Inhabitants say was shot by British with bac? (word then disappears off page but possibly ?back?) to wall in Sept 1914".

To my mind this certainly raised the possibility that the final resting place of Thomas HIGHGATE in in Perreuse Chateau Franco British Cemetery.

I would be interested in other thoughts on the above.

John Briggs

4 minutes ago, J Briggs said:

I am new to this forum but have read the several threads regarding Thomas HIGHGATE. I've picked up on the story of Thomas as I recently visited Perreuse Chateau Franco British Cemetery. I would like to put out there for others with more experience to pass opinion and comment upon a thought that has occurred to me.

I believe Thomas HIGHGATE was executed in the village of Boissy-Le-Chatel, and buried in the local communal cemetery. Post war his body was removed to Perreuse Chateau CWGC cemetery where his body now lies in Plot III; row A; grave 16. This grave is marked with a headstone stating "An Unknown Soldier of The Great War".

My source for this is the Concentration Documents recently placed online by the CWGC, The entry relating to the unknown soldier buried in Plot III, row A; grave 16 states the following - "Meaux SO sheet No 49 1:50000 234.6 x 163.2 (presumably a map sheet & ref') Com' Boisy-Le-Chatel". The various pieces of information on the form indicate there was a cross on the original grave but there were no details on the cross; and no details or means of identification on the body. The most intriguing piece of information is the comment in the last column "Inhabitants say was shot by British with bac? (word then disappears off page but possibly ?back?) to wall in Sept 1914".

To my mind this certainly raised the possibility that the final resting place of Thomas HIGHGATE in in Perreuse Chateau Franco British Cemetery.

I would be interested in other thoughts on the above.

John Briggs

An intriguing little reference - certainly opens up a good possibility.

Craig

I was wondering about the burial location myself, I making the assumption (I know never assume!) that the map sheet and reference would be the site of the original burial of the soldier now in Perreuse Chateau CWGC cemetery; which was in the commune of Boissy (or Boisy)-Le Chatel.

I've just discovered I can post the CWGC document here so will do so to allow others to draw what ever conclusions they see fit.

doc2483953.JPG.2f9d682f29782940eb653ced0b459e45.JPG

The book Shot at dawn states George Ward of the Royal Berkshire Regiment was executed at Oeuilly at 05.56am on the 26th September 1914 and was buired south west of Oeuilly village on the north bank of the river Aisne.  A quick look shows that Oeuilly is North West of the City of Reims and Perreuse Chateau Franco British National Cemetery is East of Paris and Disneyland Paris.  

Another possible from the time with no known grave is:-

9641 Pte George Ward 1R Berks shot for Cowardice 26/09/1914 and like Thomas Highgate listed on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memoral. As above when I was typing earlier.

It does seem a huge coincidence though that of the 3 identified on the return, Weiss and Haydon share a date of death with Highgate and Cowan's is 2 days earlier.

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

John

looking at the other posts on Thomas Highgate in the forum,  which you added too today.  The court martial seems to have taken place at Tournan-en-Brie,  the 1st Cheshire's arrived at Charnesseuil the night before the execution.  The body was found at Boissy-le-Chatel and the COB form states 'Shot by the British in September 1914'.  Thomas Highgate and George Ward were the only soldiers to be executed in September 1914.  From the book Shot at Dawn we know that George Ward was executed at Oeuilly and was buried on the banks of the River Aisne.  

On the balance of the evidence,  I would say that the Grave is that of Thomas Highgate.  As Boissy-le-Chatel is in between Tournan-le-Brie and Charnesseuil and the French witness's said the soldier was shot by the British in September 1914 and the town of Meaux is on the Marne River and not the Aisne

Alan

Edited by thetrenchrat22

I'm of the opinion it would assist if it could be established exactly where the body of the soldier in Plot III, row A, grave 16 was exhumed from when Perreuse Chateau cemetery was being established in the 1920's.

The information given on the concentration form shows the following map details "Meaux SO sheet No 49", I'm assuming this was an army graves unit and/or war graves commission map and the second series of numbers - 234.6 x 163.2 - are probably a pretty accurate map reference.

Does anyone know if this series of maps still exist and if they do how one can view a copy? 

13 minutes ago, J Briggs said:

I'm of the opinion it would assist if it could be established exactly where the body of the soldier in Plot III, row A, grave 16 was exhumed from when Perreuse Chateau cemetery was being established in the 1920's.

The information given on the concentration form shows the following map details "Meaux SO sheet No 49", I'm assuming this was an army graves unit and/or war graves commission map and the second series of numbers - 234.6 x 163.2 - are probably a pretty accurate map reference.

Does anyone know if this series of maps still exist and if they do how one can view a copy? 

The map reference doesn't look like a British map reference but I've seen that same style used before, just can't remember where.

Craig

Hi,  I believe that they French map references.  

To establish beyond any reasonable doubt it is Thomas Highgate we need to look at both court martial papers for Ward and Highgate to see anything about the burial place is in them and the battalion, brigade and Divisional war diary to establish which units were in that area

• 3 weeks later...

An entry from my Great Grandfather's war diary indicates that Thomas was shot at Fontenay - just under six miles from where he was found in Rue de Martray.  

597dc2c6c0a33_DSC05737(2).JPG.df0d8cd8d42d813debf871ff9ecfb842.JPG

Hi 

welcome to the forum.  Who was your great grandfather and what was his service number and regiment. 

How do you know that Highgate was found a Rue de Martray is this a village or a road

On 13/07/2017 at 15:47, ss002d6252 said:

My great grandfather was Cpl 2030 William Knightley of the ASC (Motor Transport); he was in France from 6th August 1914 and his diary shows he was in or working near Meaux, 'Cressy Forest',  Melun and Coulommieres in the days around Thomas' death.  I cannot remember where I saw Rue de Martray - it might even have been on this forum (will check), but it is a street in Tournan-en-Brie, and two streets away from Rue de Fontenay, i.e. the main road leading to the place my Grandfather stayed just outside of in his diary entry.  My Grandfather's diary covers the retreat from Mons - he was invalided out with crushed legs in 1915.

Found it - Rue de Martry is mentioned in Julian Putkowski's 'A Straggler's Fate': "...The second witness for the prosecution, Captain C.A. Milward, 53rd Sikhs told the court that on 6 September he had gone to Chateau Combreaux near Tournan and had received a telegram [JJP - the Army Signal was despatched at 8.45 a.m.] which instructed him to go to the farm of Monsieur Poirier, Rue de Martry, Tournan and arrest a deserter..."

• spof changed the title to L/10061 THOMAS JAMES HIGHGATE Royal West Kent Regiment (1st Battalion, Queen's Own)