Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/10061 THOMAS JAMES HIGHGATE Royal West Kent Regiment (1st Battalion, Queen's Own)

Cliff Rumsey

Sorry for not coming back sooner Cliff. The source is 'Blindfold and Alone'.

Do you know if Highgate's name appears on any other memorials? It appears that his family was never informed of the true circumstances of his death.

Ralph has mentioned a good point about the post war search being not so thorough in certain areas and one does wonder about the 'unmarked' graves of SaD cases.

Jon

Hi Jon

This is the case that received quite a lot of publicity re the Shoreham memorial in 2000 which is a village only a few miles from where I live in Sevenoaks. I think his name has recently been added to that Memorial. In fact I am going to have a look later today. Quite ironically perhaps his name is I believe on another memorial in Sidcup.

I was hesitant in posting this thread but must say I have learned quite a bit.

Hi Jon

This is the case that received quite a lot of publicity re the Shoreham memorial in 2000 which is a village only a few miles from where I live in Sevenoaks. I think his name has recently been added to that Memorial. In fact I am going to have a look later today. Quite ironically perhaps his name is I believe on another memorial in Sidcup.

I was hesitant in posting this thread but must say I have learned quite a bit.

It hasnt been added.

Thanks Cliff, the reason I ask is because I'm keen to know how many SaD cases were remembered on local memorials back in the 1920's. I have a local man whos name appears and not for one minute do I think that the family or local committee knew he had been shot at dawn for murder.

cheers, Jon

Thanks Cliff, the reason I ask is because I'm keen to know how many SaD cases were remembered on local memorials back in the 1920's. I have a local man whos name appears and not for one minute do I think that the family or local committee knew he had been shot at dawn for murder.

cheers, Jon

Below is an article in The Independent in 2000 which comments with a bit more info on the family which is quite interesting.

'A village divided over whether the name of a disgraced First World War soldier should be inscribed on its war memorial will vote on the issue today in a referendum organised by its vicar.

Each of the 1,700 inhabitants of Shoreham, a picturesque commuter village near Sevenoaks, Kent, will be invited to answer "yes" or "no" to the question: Do you think that Thomas Highgate's name should be included on Shoreham war memorial?

Highgate, 19, a private in the Royal West Kent Regiment, became the first Great War soldier to be shot for desertion, on 8 September 1914, after he was found cowering in a shed far from the front line in France.

The referendum follows a fierce debate in Shoreham, where the local branch of the Royal British Legion is refurbishing the village memorial. At a meeting last November, the legion was evenly divided over the move to include Highgate's name. An attempt by the parish council to adjudicate also failed when it was decided that the memorial was the legion's responsibility.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, Shoreham's vicar, the Rev Barry Simmons, has offered his church as the polling station for today's vote. Mr Simmons, 67, padre of the Shoreham branch of the legion, said: "There is talk that Parliament may grant those shot at dawn a pardon but, even if it does, it is still the villages and towns around the country who are going to have to solve the memorial problem. I believe we should grasp a privileged opportunity to speak to the nation on what is a very difficult issue."

Events took an unexpected turn with the discovery that Highgate is already commemorated on a war memorial just 12 miles away in Sidcup.

His name was found during research by Michael Hankins, an amateur historian. Knowing of the furore in Shoreham, Mr Hankins devoted weeks of work to finding out how Highgate's name had been included on the Sidcup memorial. What he uncovered was a family tragedy and, possibly, some deliberate disinformation provided by Highgate's mother, Alice.

Alongside Thomas's name on the Sidcup memorial are those of his brothers, L/Cpl Robert Highgate, 24, who was killed in action in France on 3 January 1915, and Pte Joseph Highgate, who died of wounds on 6 June 1916, at the age of 19.

Mr Hankins then tracked down a copy of the Sidcup and District Times of 23 June 1916, which told the story of how three of Alice Highgate's five serving sons had been killed in action. Significantly the newspaper report contained two errors: it said Thomas had died "last year" and that he "went to the front early in the campaign with the East Surreys".

Mr Hankins said: "All three Highgates were regular soldiers and it is inconceivableto me that the family could have got Thomas Highgate's regiment or year of death wrong unless they were trying to blur things.

"The names on the memorials after the war were simply put forward by the families of the dead. And once Thomas Highgate was on record as serving in the East Surreys and dying in 1915 rather than 1914 ... no link was made with Thomas Highgate of Shoreham, shot at dawn for desertion from the West Kents."

• 2 months later...
Guest w994504r

I am part of a project to list all of the memorials in the London Borough of Lewisham, we are building a wiki site from our research. I have noticed at least 2 SADs are on one of our memorials St Peter's Church Brockley [http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/memorial:brockley-st-peter-brockley-ww1-war-memorial]. Herbert F Burden and Thomas Highgate [with his 2 brothers]. The Highgate's details have not been added yet but they will be added in the near future.

• 1 year later...

Private L/10061 THOMAS JAMES HIGHGATE Royal West Kent Regiment (1st Battalion, Queen's Own)

Does anyone know anything about this soldier?

He is listed as 'died of wounds' 8th September 1914. He is commemorated on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, which suggests his body was never found/never identified.

However, his MIC card states 'Forfeited for Desertion 08.09.1914' Does this mean 'shot at dawn'? Were men killed for desertion 4 weeks into the war?

He was only 19 when he died but had already been serving with the regiment for 18 months.

Thanks Sam, I hadn't realised he was well known.

Google has come up with lots of information, including the thread on here.

Thanks again,

Sandie

He appears in a brief entry in de Ruvigny's, but there is not much more than you have here.

His father is listed as James J. Highgate of Catford, London, S.E.

He does not appear in the National Roll of the Great War.

Simon.

Thanks Simon.

Apparently there's a book about him 'A Straggler's Fate', I'm trying to track it down but I can only find a French version.

Does anyone know if his name has been added to Shoreham War Memorial? There's lots of info on the net about Shoreham Parish Council voting against him being added to the memorial in 2000. I wondered if that had changed after the pardon in 2006.

I certainly can't find that book on AbeBooks, which has rarely let me down in the past.

This link seems to suggest that he hasn't been added to the memorial yet. The text indicates a last update in May 2009, so may not be correct now.

Have you found this link yet? Some good background material there, if written in rather colourful language which leaves one in no doubt which side of the argument the author stands on.

There's a 3-page article about Highgate in issue #26 of 'La Grande Guerre' magazine, the journal of the 14 - 18 Association in France. http://www.association14-18.org/

It's entitled 'La condamnation à mort du soldat Thomas Highgate, 6/09/1914' and was written bby Julian Putkowski, who has an especial interest in the 'Shot at Dawn' and the Mutineers of the Great War.

This back issue, from 2000, can be ordered from them, but you'll need to translate it.....

The French link which you have seen appears to point to this latter Website, to an English language version of the French printed copy I refer to above. This no longer seems to exist on that Website.

Simon.

I should have added; Putkowski has written a book about all 312 people 'Shot at Dawn', as well as other works related to this.

Look for his name on a Search Engine and you'll find his printed works, if interested.

Simon.

On top of "Shot at Dawn" which although an excellent reference can be a little preachy IMHO, for a bit of balance and a greater insight to the history and use during WW1of the Military Death sentence, I'd recommend John Hughes-Wilson and Cathryn M Corns "Blindfold and Alone", published prior to the Universal Pardon for those shot at dawn, it includes a parliamentry speach by the then Home Secretary Dr John Reid, explaining why at that time he'd decided against any pardons.

Sam

Does anyone know if his name has been added to Shoreham War Memorial? There's lots of info on the net about Shoreham Parish Council voting against him being added to the memorial in 2000. I wondered if that had changed after the pardon in 2006.

Not when I was there in the summer.

Highgate had had previous misdeamenours - he had proved himself unsuitable for soldiering. Taking him over to F&F wasnt a wise move.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Many, many thanks for the posts and links. I've ordered Julian Putkowski's 'Shot At Dawn', I've also sent for Hughes-Wilson & Corns 'Blindfold & Alone'.

Just one thing...

Why hasn't he got a grave? Why take the trouble to commemorate him on La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial when it must have been known what happened to his body?

Those books may reveal that.

I suspect that, as it happened in the midst of a headlong retreat from Mons the paperwork may have been the last thing on someone's mind, and by the time that the Allied forces returned in October / November 1918, more than 4 years later, the location of his interral was no longer known?

Simon.

Why hasn't he got a grave?

Could be any of the reasons why men don't have a known grave.

They managed to lose my great uncle's grave at Hannescamp New Military Cemetery. He's in there somewhere.

Thanks guys.

I'd assumed that his burial hadn't been recorded due to the circumstances of his death but couldn't understand why they had then taken the trouble to commemorate him on the memorial.

• 5 months later...

Highgate had had previous misdeamenours - he had proved himself unsuitable for soldiering. Taking him over to F&F wasnt a wise move.

Regards,

Jonathan S

You are so right. Pri Thomas Highagte of the Royal West Kent Regiment was based at Richmond Barracks Inchicore in 1913 prior to France. He was AWOL , late, and turning up unprepared ( with a rusty rifle) on a number of occasions and was eventually confined for 40 days as punishment. He was only 17 years and 9 months at the time. A Doctor examined him as he was complaining of memory loss. The Doctor learned that Highgate had previously contracted yellow fever on service in East Africa and could not rule out that as an explanation for his beheaviour. With this background he was not fit to be sent away. He signed a confession before he was shot. The only photo on the web is very poor. If anyone has a better one I would be grateful.

Note : He enlisted at London, 1st October 1912 , in the Royal West Surrey Regiment. aged 17 and 5 months. He claimed to have been a sailor before this and that he had been shipwrecked twice . Had tattoo with a ship on his arm.

The only photo on the web is very poor. If anyone has a better one I would be grateful.

Thomas Highgate is mentioned in an edition of the Lewisham Borough News dated 30th June 1916.

IIRC it concerned an obituary about his brother Joseph Highgate Click Here (I'm having trouble reading my own notes, Doh!)

There is also a mention of two older brothers, Charles and Ben Highgate who both rejoined the colours.

The information had been submitted by the grandparents who lived in Catford.

I'm sure there is a picture of Thomas. Next time I visit the archives I'll see if I can get a copy

Stuart

• 1 year later...

Regards,

Jonathan S

It was of course the 2nd time he had been tried for desertion - he was tried by DCM on 22nd May 1914 and sentances to 42 days imprisonment. Think misdeamenours is a little understating the case.

Simon

It was of course the 2nd time he had been tried for desertion - he was tried by DCM on 22nd May 1914 and sentances to 42 days imprisonment. Think misdeamenours is a little understating the case.

Simon

Ok.

From The Catford Journal and Bellingham Weekly News - July 30 1916.

The Highgates, from left to right:

Charles, Ben, Robert, Thomas and Joseph

I believe that they are named on a memorial at St. Lawrence's in Catford - but Phil Evans knows a lot more than me on this one.

Regards,

Kev Loughnanepost-18622-0-22105600-1345147907_thumb.j

Thank you for posting Thomas's photo, I have read much about him over the years and this is the first time I have ever seen his face. Ralph.

post-18622-0-43029600-1345221910_thumb.jrjaydee,

You are welcome.

I have attached the text that accompanied the above photos in the newspaper - it would appear that the Highgate family were still unaware of Thomas' execution in 1916.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane