Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haatswell Daads School, Ypres

Moriaty

Antony,

As to Dingo ... He's nice ! And an excellent "sniffer". (And to avoid any confusion : he is not my dog, but from the Ypres Shelter (rescue ?) dog centre nearby, a companion that I take for a walk 3 or 4 afternoons a week). But a year or so ago, not far from the Weldadigheidsschool, in the bushes, and though he was on the leash, he snatched a ... small rabbit. Well, I will spare you the details. But it was painful. For the rabbit (physically). And also for me (psychologically), and even more for my wife, who still has ... nighmares... :-)

Sorry for going off topic. So, back to business.

The Flemish / Dutch word for "father" : "vader". Some people, like me (used to) address their father with that word too, but most address him as "pa".

Of course when speaking about him you can mention him as "mijn pa" (equivalent of your "my dad".)

Of course there may be other words to address him, with a diminutive form maybe (paatje, pake). Depending on how much more pocket money you want. B)

Mother = moeder = ma.

Aurel

Bill,

Yes, that's the place. Where we rented the bikes.

And where your suffering began, to be continued for an hour or three or four.

Have the wounds healed by now, after 5 months ? Can you sit again ? :lol:

Aurel

By the way, I thought it would be a good idea to contact the person who started the question some months ago (link to Ask Away in Chris' posting # 24), to inform him about this topic.

But it seems I cannot send a PM to member jrah60, and I cannot log in in Ask Away.

Is there a way to contact him ?

Aurel

Thank you, Aurel. I'm sorry about the rabbit - although the C.O. and I do enjoy rabbit pie and rabbit stew! My line of thinking was that, if "daad" was a Flemish form of "dad" and if "haat" was simply a mis-spelling of "hart", then "Hart weil daads" might have been "good Heart fathers", i.e., a slang form of Fathers of the {Sacred) Heart. "Bienfaisance" can be translated into English as "charity". "Bien" is usually translated into English as "well". So the whole things could simply have been a complete mix-up of Flemish/French/English mis-translation and mis-interpretation; "haat" for "hart", "weil" for "well", "daads" for "dad" OR, maybe, "staat". However, it really doesn't matter. I think your interpretation is better and it fits the facts. Cheers, Antony

Antony,

What you write makes sense. No doubt about that. Only this : what I wrote makes a little more sense. ^_^

Also this (only a detail, and not relevant) : I have seen in the previous postings "weil" a couple of times. But on the monument (see my posting # 8) and in the opening posting is reads "well".

And since this on topic, I now can afford to go a little off topic, re the rabbit. Dingo after the killing buried the rabbit. That was more than a year ago. Yesterday he found back the exact spot where he had buried it ! Amazing !!!

Well, on topic again now : this "Haatswell Daads School" tickled my curiosity the first second that I saw it (because it was so un-Flemish, and also related to disappeared cemeteries, a favourite subject of mine). What made it a little special though is that the disfigured name was not in a handwritten letter or so, or a war diary, but on a monument !

I have always found the way Tommies mutilated our Flemish place names very amusing. (I'm sure you know the classical examples like White sheet, God wears velvet, Plugstreet, even Wipers). So I really could not resist.

Looking forward to reading a new challenge. :)

Aurel

I have always found the way Tommies mutilated our Flemish place names very amusing. (I'm sure you know the classical examples like White sheet, God wears velvet, Plugstreet, even Wipers). So I really could not resist.

God wears velvet? :unsure:

Roel

Having set this hare (not Aurel's rabbit) running, I have had another look at the photograph of James' memorial stone at Castlemilk to see if it threw any light on this Haatswell Daads query.

The inscription says "killed in battle" whereas the battalion diary of 8 November says "died of wounds" as does the entry in The Times of 20 November which, presumably, the family submitted.

Times of 5 October 1914 says that he was wounded

(The battalion diary of 14 September says he was wounded and that he re joined the battalion on 28 October)

Times of 18 November says died in Paris of wounds received on 17 September during the Battle of the Aisne

Times 20 November says died on 9 November at Ypres of wounds received in action same day. He is referred to as a Second Lieutenant

27 November 1914 gazetted as a Lieutenant

The family memorial inscriptions do not have a hypen between the Stirling and Stuart, but the name is hypenated in The Times and London Gazette.

Looking at the Scots Guards battalion diary for 8 November:

Killed: Lieutenants RN Gipps and FA Monckton who were killed on 7 November are comemorated on the Menin Gate;

Wounded: Lieutenant BW Smith (died of wounds), buried in Derbyshire; J Stirling Stuart commemorated on Menin Gate; Lieut JS Dyer was wounded, recovered but killed in July 1917

Missing: Lieutenant Douglas-Dick was was missing, according to the CWGC died between 8 and 11 November and is also on the Menin Gate.

I dont know when the inscriptions were done on the family memorials in Castlemilk, they cover a period from 1474-2007, I suspect that James' may have been done some time after hence the Haatswell Daads and the "killed in battle"

Moriaty

Yes, "killed in battle" had a more romantic ring to it than "died of wounds". The military tended to use "killed in action", "died of wounds" or, sometimes, "died of wounds in action". Antony

I think Chris's link to Ecole de Bienfaisance and Aurel's unravelling in Post #15 and the presence of a CCS clinches it for me...

Add broad Scots dialect and a tinny phone connection and a telegram or other message could easily have been misheard or mis-transcribed into the foreign sounding location on the Memorial stone.

Well unravelled!

Eh, Kevin; what's this "broad Scots" bit?! A commissioned chappie with a private inscription wouldn't talk like that :innocent: . Antony

A commissioned chappie with a private inscription wouldn't talk like that

HE was dead!! So it would be someone else passing on the message, like the parlour game and ended up differently to what was intended....

Do try and keep up if you want your remarks to be funny!! laugh.gif

At a certain age, one tends to lag behind, Kevin :unsure: . Antony

Should John S. see this, and still have the original postcard, maybe he can have a look with a magnifying glass if the name James Stirling-Stuart is visible on one of the crosses ?

Aurel

I can only make out one name and that is Pte J W Ogden. He was in the RAMC, Number 81036, and killed 26/09/1917.

His memorial cross is the larger triangular shaped one in the centre of the picture.

Regards

John

Thanks, John.

Useful for my notes. Now I know that the cemetery was in use from (or before) beginning of Nov. 1914 till (after)end Sept. 1917. Probably not much later, as the first row on the postcard must be a row of latest graves.

Aurel

Thanks, John.

Useful for my notes. Now I know that the cemetery was in use from (or before) beginning of Nov. 1914 till (after)end Sept. 1917. Probably not much later, as the first row on the postcard must be a row of latest graves.

Aurel

Glad to be of some help

Regards

John

• 10 years later...
On 24/02/2011 at 11:52, Aurel Sercu said:

The more I think about it, the more I think "Haatswell Daad School" it is a deformation of "Staatsweldadigheidsschool". Maybe someone misread handwritten "Staats" as "Haats" (St may look like H ?). And then "weldadigheidsschool" became "...well daads school", dropping the part (double suffix) "igheid", and separating the whole word in the wrong parts).

Would it ever have been Het (or hets) Welda(digheids)school or would Het never been used like this?

Neil,

I don't think so. The definite article  referring to "school" always is "De".(Also for the other noun in the name, Weldadigheid.) True, in some cases in our dialect it can be 't (short for Het"), but it's rather unusual, and very un-standard Dutch.)

By the way, I saw that 10 years ago Moriaty wrote:

I got the "Haatswell Daads School" details from the Castlemilk memorial stone photograph on the Scottish War Memorial Project site.

Maybe I should try to go and find what the name of the school really looks like there ...

Aurel

Just a few links about Lt James Stirling Stuart that have not been mentioned.  Looks like the memorial photo posted in 2011 is from inside the Stirling-Stuart family vault at Carmunnock Church/Graveyard.

https://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/fallen-alumni/lieutenant-james-stirling-stuart

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/search?firstname=james&middlename=&lastname=stirling+stuart&birthyear=&birthyearfilter=&deathyear=1914&deathyearfilter=&location=&locationId=&memorialid=&mcid=&linkedToName=&datefilter=&orderby=r

James is also on the Carmunnock village war memorial commissioned by his father.

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/71123/

Edited by travers61