Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A typical British Lewis Gunner?

HMS Resolute

Does anyone have a good picture of a WWI 55th division "rose" patch? I can't find a good one on Google or ebay at the moment.

Also, aside from the rose patch being worn on the top of both sleeves, and the battalion colours being worn on the back under the collar, would there be any other patches of any sort on the tunic?

In addition, the brass "LG" would go where on the tunic? I've seen cloth "LG" badges with the wreath sewn to the left sleeve, but never have actually seen a brass badge on the uniform.

Lastly, what kind of insignia would be worn on the helmet? I am assuming battalion colours?

In addition, the brass "LG" would go where on the tunic? I've seen cloth "LG" badges with the wreath sewn to the left sleeve, but never have actually seen a brass badge on the uniform.

Officially, base of the badge should be 6 1/2 inches from the base of the left sleeve, positioned centrally and parallel with the base of the sleeve. However, there is room for manouvre due to certain badge combinations requiring some creativity in positioning, and period photos clearly show a lot of badges on their own that were probably positioned purely by eye that are clearly considerably closer to the base of the sleeve than 6 1/2 inches.

In an LG team of six, only the No.1 was at all likely to have the skill-at-arms badge, as it was for First Class and not easily shot for.

The Official material for the badges was probably drab worsted, but the gilding metal had advantages [cheaper to produce, flash to pull the girls & easily removed if captured, and disadvantages [edges could get caught on equipment and trench obstructions].

I will dig out an illustration of the GM version in wear.

Unless an instructor, either badge lower left sleeve.

• 1 year later...
Guest dcmatkins

Im new to this forum , but have an interest in the 55th Battalion MGC, which i understand came into being shortly before the German 1918 offensives.

Some previous poster mentioned that the Lewis guns were mainly with the infantry.

I stand corrected, but from what i remember reading my Grandad serving in the MGC won the DCM, using a Lewis Gun.

At Grantham i think they were trained in both the Vickers and Lewis Guns.

I guess in battle, a machine gunner would use any gun at hand to repel the enemy.