Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Epitaphs and Inscriptions

chris basey

Nick

Following on from your points.....

Any conspiracy theory would not stand up anyway as no such details appear in CWGC's database not have they ever. Whilst a 'Cause of Death' entry may read 'Killed when HMS xyz was sunk by submarine', they NEVER mention nationality. Nor to any 'Killed in Action' entries for land deaths.

CWGC could not delete what was never there. This can be verified from study of the WW1 registers published largely in the 1920s/30s before PC blighted our lives.

Well, as I said, it was wasn't a theory that I've ever bought into, but it's in the nature of those who do push this sort of thing to embellish their "case" as much as possible (cf. most issues of The Daily Mail!). In most events, issues of expediency, practically or achievability are always more likely "culprits" as to why things are done the way they are, rather than the idea that it's in the furthurence of some secret "agenda" or other.

Nick's assesment of the CWGC web site is correct. I asked them if anyone consulted them when the Census site went live and the answer was 'No'.

I've always suspected as much. In the genealogy community there was widespread disbelief at the "surprise" that the Census was so in demand, and the CWGC was often cited as a self-evident lesson that should have been taken into account.

Probably another case of 'us and them'.

The PRO is a UK government department. CWGC is not thus making it unlikely advice would be sought!