Remembered Today:

UK TRAINING CAMP PLANS

agjmcvey

Last few honest......

This is part of the water treatment works on Rugeley camp

post-7839-018851300 1297784690.jpg

The Tackeroo railway cutting

post-7839-033506900 1297784776.jpg

Poor photo taken of interior of hut through the window (it was locked up as it's only open Sundays 2-4pm)

post-7839-043895100 1297784980.jpg

OK, these few, then I'm off for a lie down..

As Terry_Reeves mentioned, the site of the Ordnance depot is quite clear next to the Tackeroo Railway cutting

post-7839-004185200 1297785386.jpg

This I believe to be the second WW1 range butts used for Lewis gun training. Try as I might though I can't find any spent ammo on these slopes. :blush:

post-7839-075764200 1297785600.jpg

The view from the Glacial boulder across Sherbrook Valley where many a soldier would have spent time training prior to shipping out to the front

post-7839-001276100 1297785718.jpg

That concludes todays picture show. :thumbsup:

Hi Eric

drop me a line about organising work at Sling Camp and we can sort this ASAP. I presume you have number, if not Rod does. all best

R

Excellent pics, Graham.

I was at the IWM yesterday and on the open shelves in the Reading Room is Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War, which has details and plans of many Great War "works", including Armstrong and Tarrant huts. The plans fold out and may not be readily photocopiable.

Moonraker

Moonraker,

Thanks for the book title I have done a quick search and found loads available on www.Abebooks.co.uk

May be of use to Eric the Viking in his quest?

I may even buy one myself for a £10

WARNING: I've just realised there are eight volumes of Work of the Royal Engineers, which are numbered in the Bodleian Library catalogue but not in the Imperial War Museum's, and I can't be sure which one included the hut designs. Sorry. :blush:

And I also confess to not thinking that volumes would be so readily available on sale.

Moonraker

Moonraker

Thank you for the information. My local library have been very helpful with ordering books for me so far and they should be able to source these particular works. I have used the "History of the Corps of Royal Engineers in the Great War" but have not come across the books you mention.

Thank you

Eric

Graham

Thanks for the great pics of the Chase. We are having a Bham WFA trip up there in June

Alan,

I have sent a PM

Just come across this thread and interested to see (#11) mention of YMCA Hut at Codford.

Here is a postcard of Codford Camp on the reverse of which the sender has written "You can see a YMCA Hut on the right hand side of the road - I have written a few letters in there".

The second card is also of Codford showing a narrow guage railway track. The house in the background (with wavy thatch) was still there a few years ago.

post-702-0-36610100-1298475085.jpg

post-702-0-04192400-1298475475.jpg

Chris,

Thank you for these. I belive that some of the huts from the Codford Camps may still be in existance.

Cheers

Eric

Just come across this thread and interested to see (#11) mention of YMCA Hut at Codford.

Here is a postcard of Codford Camp on the reverse of which the sender has written "You can see a YMCA Hut on the right hand side of the road - I have written a few letters in there".

The second card is also of Codford showing a narrow guage railway track. The house in the background (with wavy thatch) was still there a few years ago.

Our vilage hall here in Rosemarket Pembrokeshire is the last of the barrack huts taken from Hearson Camp a mile or so up the road.

post-15439-0-84184400-1298722549.jpg

During 1914 the 1/5th Bn Welsh Regiment moved onto land at Hearson Mountain and set up a military camp.

The fields were divided up into smaller areas. The field next to the road (now known as Hill Mountain) was used for digging trenches and tunnels, then there was an area used for exercise and a sports field, next there was a small number of huts erected for officers quarters and recreation hall. The next area down towards the farm (Hearson Farm), there was a large number of wooden huts to accommodate the troops and provide wash rooms and baths. The next area down almost opposite the farm was where the stables were built to house the horses.

A lot of Cavalry and Artillery training was done close by at Newton Mountain (about half a mile away), which at the time was covered in furze and fern, trenches were also dug there, evidence of this showed up years later when the mountain was ploughed up during the 2WW years, different colour soil showed up where the trenches had been dug and later filled in.

When the training of the troops was complete, a large number of them moved onto other camps whilst others went to the front. As this was going on, Portuguese troops were moving into Hearson Camp, their duty was to dismantle the whole camp and prepare it for transporting it away, as it would no longer be required. Also the land which had been used for training was to be reinstated, which meant it had to be ploughed and cultivated before handing it back to the farmers concerned.

Jon

Also we have one which is a major training camp at a Stately home...

Is that in the North or South of England?

This sounds extremely interesting, would anyone be able to elaborate?

Reference post #27 where you can see a picture of a lewis gun butts.....

At last today i found a 'ruck' of spent ammo lying about the slope.

No idea how, or why, but it was easy to spot today. I had to leave stuff for another day :thumbsup:

With luck you will see todays spoils...(There are a couple of bullets off the WW2 butts too)

post-7839-0-57641400-1299947710.jpg

• 9 months later...

Having just spotted this thread I would like to contribute the plan drawing of the Shoreham-by-sea hutment camp for 15 Battalions of infantry. Some web pages can be seen here but if you would like a copy of the plan let me know.

Brian

• 2 months later...

Brian,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been busy writing up my dissertation. I would very much like a copy of the plans

Eric

Eric

You can pick up a copy here

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

31543 Ogilwy

Did anything come of the WW! trench excavation (at Woolwich?). I am doing some scoping work for Roy at the MoL with a view to community projects during the 2014-18 commemorative period (probs 2016 and Somme). Any info - meeting up would be useful too - would be welcome.

best wishes

John Shepherd