Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military camp: Where?

CarylW

Another mystery photo. A postcard photo of a military camp but where would this be and what nationality? Looks to be Great War period?

The card is unused, with 'Carte Postale-Postkarte' and 'Communication-Mitteilungen-Correspondance' 'Address- Adresse'

A bit of research reveals that the above cards were used in Germany but also Turkey and 'Mitteilungen' just means 'messages' where that part should be written

There is a large bell up a pole that has some decorative ironwork in the middle of the gun carriages. Large number of tents visible in the background

camp.jpg

Caryl

Well, don't think it's a bell, enlarged it looks like a gas/electric light, as to where, best guess uk or northern france, large squarish building on horizon, possibly a chateau, also could be american base.

the middle of the gun carriages. Large number of tents visible in the background

Not gun carriages I think - limbered wagons

post-9885-070257300 1294952006.jpg

Well, don't think it's a bell, enlarged it looks like a gas/electric light, as to where, best guess uk or northern france, large squarish building on horizon, possibly a chateau, also could be american base.

Yes it does look like a gas lamp now that you mention it (a bell shaped one)

lamp.jpg

Not gun carriages I think - limbered wagons

post-9885-070257300 1294952006.jpg

Oh yes, I see now. Thanks

Caryl

The other vertical pole on the right is another lamp standard. They have large glass globes beneath the bell-shaped shade. Given the height of the poles above the lamps, it's likely that they are electric, rather than gas. The large square building with tower does not fit the traditional roof outline of a French chateau. How about Windsor Castle or some such similar edifice? Antony

The other vertical pole on the right is another lamp standard. They have large glass globes beneath the bell-shaped shade. Given the height of the poles above the lamps, it's likely that they are electric, rather than gas. The large square building with tower does not fit the traditional roof outline of a French chateau. How about Windsor Castle or some such similar edifice? Antony

if thats windsor, then it's the playing fields of eton.

I'm not sure that the terrain looks right for Windsor. The ornateness of the lamp bracket - cast iron? - indicates to me a campsite that was used regularly and that might been around for some time prior to the GW; a site built during WWI may well have had lighting installed, but would it have had such ornate lamp fittings? A possibility that immediately came to mind was Bisley Camp which came into existence c.1890 with the annual NRA shoots held there, so, although parts of the camp were of a temporary nature being put up and taken down each year, permanent lighting installations are (as would other parts of the infrastructure) likely to have been in situ. During WW1 & WWII Bisley was handed over to the War Department and used for military training in conjunction with other sites, both permanent and temporary, in the adjacent Pirbright, Deepcut, Blackdown & Mytchett areas as part of the Aldershot Command. It's highly likely that there may have been other camp sites elsewhere in the country used regularly for training, annual & weekend camps, manouevres, etc that would also have justified permanent lighting installations, so without any obvious aid to identification, realistically, the photo could be of anywhere.

NigelS

Just a thought; "the ornateness of the lamp bracket" may not be a telling clue. Lamp brackets would be standard manufacture for all sorts of uses and locations. The poles (standards), however,look temporary and wooden to me and the extra height is to string the wires above the passing vehicles. If the fixtures were permanent, then it's likely that the standards would have been custom made for purpose. I'm not familiar with views around Windsor Castle but the tower just seemed to ring a bell (no pun). Antony

• Admin

I'm a little puzzled as to why a German postcard should show pictures of limbered wagons in Windsor/Eton - perhaps a spy...unsure.gif

Seriously, wouldn't the boxes be a clue if they were blown up...oh there I go again...sorry u know what I mean better stop now or it'll be me you meant in Skindles! - but the one in the left foreground seems to have writing on it but I can't blow it up big enough wild guess ? C (?)2 0R L

Ken

I'm a little puzzled as to why a German postcard should show pictures of limbered wagons in Windsor/Eton - perhaps a spy...unsure.gif

Ken

The card also includes French wording so maybe it's from occupied territory (or maybe the language isn't relevant to the location ?) The white bricks suggest it's not an overnight park ! Perhaps a parade ground somewhere; wherever it is the trees look deciduous and the land flat.

The card also includes French wording so maybe it's from occupied territory (or maybe the language isn't relevant to the location ?) The white bricks suggest it's not an overnight park ! Perhaps a parade ground somewhere; wherever it is the trees look deciduous and the land flat.

Could even be post war, i'm sure it's windsor in the background as i have said before, regarding the wording, it would have been designed to appeal to a wider market perhaps than just the uk.

How about Bramshott. Used for both WW1 and WW2 Canadian bases.

Steve

So what is the building on the horizon then if it's Bramshott?, i must admit that as i said in a previous post, has american/canadian feel about those white bricks

I'm a little puzzled as to why a German postcard should show pictures of limbered wagons in Windsor/Eton

How do you know its German? The dual language wording could suggest a Swiss or Belgian source. (Given the proclivity of post card makers to take a stock photo of location A and pass it off as location B I'm not sure that it is much of a guide to anything).

How do you know its German? The dual language wording could suggest a Swiss or Belgian source. (Given the proclivity of post card makers to take a stock photo of location A and pass it off as location B I'm not sure that it is much of a guide to anything).

Correct see post 15.

If the dangly thing was a lamp, wouldn't it be set at the top of the pole to light a larger area ?

This seems to be at around head height judging by the height of the wheels

My vote goes with the bell theory, you can see what looks like a handle just below it.

Grant

Probably because of my misleading first post suggesting it could be German, but further research reveals that 'Carte Postale - Postkart' postacrds were indeed also sold in Switzerland, Luxembourg and probably a lot of other countries across Europe, so it could be from anywhere

I have a box-load of these 'Mystery photos'! :D Only kidding, probably a couple more unidentified ones in my collection but I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks again for all thoughts - appreciated

Caryl

• Admin

I was merely going by the comment of the OP at post 1 who said, 'A bit of research reveals that the above cards were used in Germany but also Turkey''. I fully accept the proclivity of post card makers - it's an interesting puzzle now - but I'm not sure it's one I'd plucked off the rack then

Ken

If the dangly thing was a lamp, wouldn't it be set at the top of the pole to light a larger area ?

My vote goes with the bell theory, you can see what looks like a handle just below it.

Grant

When enhanced and enlarged, there is quite clearly a glass globe fitted to the bottom of the "bell", it's a light.

Grant

With respect, I believe that it's either an electric or a gas lamp (why would you have another bell a few yards along to the right?). The height is fairly standard for gas lamps of the time (you needed to be able to reach them to open the flow prior to touching them with the paraffin pole), therefore electric lights were often just strung at the same height. On the other hand, the extra length of the pole is, possibly, as I've suggested, for stringing electric wire. Either way, it's obvious that the lamps were being used to light a 'road'-way rather than a large area and the extra height gained by putting them further up that relatively flimsy pole would not have resulted in any much greater field of illumination than that from a single lamp of that era. Antony

Is there a Bell / Light on the pole to the right ?

It looks like it's been hit and is leaning to the left and has a limber parked directly under it - suggesting it's not a "roadway", nor is the ground under the dangly thing disturbed, again suggesting that it's not an area regulary used as a "roadway / path"

All gas lamps that I have seen have been set well out of arms reach and required a chap with a long pole to open the valve and ingnite the gas.

Were generators freely available in WW1 ?

Grant