Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military camp: Where?

CarylW

Yes, there's a light on the pole to the right (see post "8). I accept that there is no surfaced 'road'way; that's why I put is in inverted commas (use traffic-way, clear-way, whetever). From the angle of the photographer to the wagon, I think you'll find that the wagon is parked behind it. The lights are simply to provide some regular pattern of illumination at intervals. There is absolutely no need for bells to be hung off tall poles at close intervals and from expensive wrought-iron brackets. A bell would be ground-mounted on a simple post and beam and be at shoulder height at most. Twelve-plus feet would be about the height of these lamp brackets and, in an enclosed army camp, would not need to be any higher. Indeed, street lamps were about the same. The only issue in doubt is the source of power. Regards, Antony

After doing a little searching I think those are German horse drawn vehicles. The Germans had a limbered ammunition wagon with a higher body than British ones and the larger wagons behind them have a tilt too high for Belgian or French wagons and not quite right for British GS wagons. They do match German ones. I think what we have is the train of a German infantry battalion in a Belgian park probably in 1914

It reminds me of the Curragh Camp near Kildare in Ireland,

the building in the background trees could be the "Water Tower"

a large brick building used to store water for the camp area.

Connaught Stranger. :D

It reminds me of the Curragh Camp near Kildare in Ireland,

the building in the background trees could be the "Water Tower"

a large brick building used to store water for the camp area.

Connaught Stranger. :D

So what about the vehicles?

So what about the vehicles?

As to the type of wagons / limbers afraid I have no idea, apart from captured war booty?

however from my visit to the Curragh, while in military service, it was very flat, lots of red brick construction, hence loads of bricks around the area.

And herds of sheep.

Connaught Stranger. :lol:

Has anybody who collects postcards ever seen an image of a UK location of that period with German writing on the rear? English - yes, French - yes. German?

Sue

however from my visit to the Curragh, while in military service, it was very flat, lots of red brick construction, hence loads of bricks around the area.

Sounds like 90% of military establishments.

Hence the white-wash - keeps 'em busy! Antony

But not in Southern Ireland, :D

Connaught Stranger.

But not in Southern Ireland, :D

Connaught Stranger.

Logical flaw there somewhere I think :P

Logical flaw there somewhere I think :P

Very few of the British military installations constructed in what is now the Republic of Ireland have any red brick used as an outer wall in either walls or buildings, it was very prominent in Dublin and the Curragh Camp.

However, in the West, Galway, Castlebar, Westport, Ballina, Sligo, Athlone, Mullingar, Longford etc..etc.. local stone was the preferred medium of construction material.

Connaught Stranger

Has anybody who collects postcards ever seen an image of a UK location of that period with German writing on the rear? English - yes, French - yes. German?

Sue

I haven't personally Sue, but then my collection is small compared to others.

Thanks for continuing suggestions here. The piece of land in the foreground that has bricks arranged decoratively, looks as though it has been created to display something. A captured gun? it looks 'oily'

The boxes in front of the limbered wagons look like chests of drawers when enlarged. Anyone seen anything like that before?

Caryl

Very few of the British military installations constructed in what is now the Republic of Ireland have any red brick used as an outer wall in either walls or buildings, it was very prominent in Dublin and the Curragh Camp.

However, in the West, Galway, Castlebar, Westport, Ballina, Sligo, Athlone, Mullingar, Longford etc..etc.. local stone was the preferred medium of construction material.

Connaught Stranger

The logical flaw is the assumption that the place has to be in Ireland at all

I haven't personally Sue, but then my collection is small compared to others.

Thanks for continuing suggestions here. The piece of land in the foreground that has bricks arranged decoratively, looks as though it has been created to display something. A captured gun? it looks 'oily'

The boxes in front of the limbered wagons look like chests of drawers when enlarged. Anyone seen anything like that before?

Caryl

A common form of edging decoration in Victorian and Edwardian era parks and gardens, especially but by no means exclusively in Kitchen gardens. I've seen the same in old photos of military establishments. From memory Preston Barracks had similar edgings in the early 1950s (but this isn't Preston). The boxes may be ammunition (small arm) drawers from the ammunition limbers or possibly tool drawers from the same

The logical flaw is the assumption that the place has to be in Ireland at all

Just my tuppence worth thrown into the pot.

Just my tuppence worth thrown into the pot.

I wasn't trying to offend - it was just when I said that it resembled 90% of military establishments (in being brick built etc) and you said not in Southern Ireland you were inferring. 'The picture has bricks, the Curragh has bricks, no other Irish establishment has bricks - this must be the Curragh'. My apologies if I mis represented.

My suspicion is still that its not in the old UK at all.

I wasn't trying to offend - it was just when I said that it resembled 90% of military establishments (in being brick built etc) and you said not in Southern Ireland you were inferring. 'The picture has bricks, the Curragh has bricks, no other Irish establishment has bricks - this must be the Curragh'. My apologies if I mis represented.

My suspicion is still that its not in the old UK at all.

Alles Klar Kumppel!!!! :thumbsup: