Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Anglia" Hospital Ship lost 17th November 1915

dabtoe

Thanks Jim!

Yes, I agree with your comments. Yes, I understand about the IWM and their charges and this is why I was hoping to find a good image possibly from an original. I would be interested to see which one you have and I possibly already have a copy of it, although the images I have (which are not of a high quality) do not have any copyright, so it would be interesting to see what you have Jim. Feel free to send it via Personal Message.

Many thanks. Best wishes, Sarah.

I cannot work out how to send a photograph by personal message. That is why I suggested sending as an attachment to an email. The photograph shows Mary Rodwell sat profile in a chair , in caped uniform, writing a letter.

Thanks for your note Jim. My e-mail is reay.nunhill@virgin.net

I shall look forward to hearing from you. Once again, thank you!!

Once again - thank you Jim!

• 1 month later...

From the Canadian casualty lists printed in the Toronto World newspaper:

November 20, 1915

"That one member of the Canadian forces at least being returned wounded to England was on the British Hospital ship Anglia, which struck a mine and floundered in the English channel, is indicated by the midnight casualty list issued from the militia department. Private John Cann of Sydney Mines, C.B., N.S., a member of the Third Battalion, is reported as having been admitted to a hospital at Shorncliffe, seriously ill, from the hospital ship Anglia."

November 21, 1915

[sunday edition not digitzed]

November 22, 1915

[none listed]

November 23, 1915

"Three members of the Canadian Army Corps are reported as "missing, believed drowned from hospital ship Anglia," which on Nov. 17 struck a mine in the English channel and went down. They are Pte. Elroyd M. Geddes of New Zealand, Pte. David Pyper of Scotland and Pte. John Herbert Cox of England."

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—Elroyd Manning Geddes, New Zealand. [3rd Battalion]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—David Puper [sic], Scotland. [31st Battalion]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—John Herbert Cox, England. [4th Field Co., Can. Eng.]

November 24, 1915

"Eighteen more members of the Canadian Army Corps went down with the British hospital ship Anglia when she struck a mine and foundered in the English Channel, according to casualty lists issued from the militia department tonight. Previous lists have given the names of four who perished in this manner, bringing the total announced to date to 22."

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—Lance-Corp. Archie R. McDonald, Glenroy, Ont. [1st Battalion]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—Wm. A. Steers, Fort William, Ont. [3rd Battalion]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—Wm. Robert Cann. [7th Battalion]

[alias Palmer: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=9g7on0q86h13n576o0vmpll6h0&sqn=36&q2=28&q3=2272&tt=1003]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—George E. Knight, London, Ont. [18th Battalion]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—John Coleman, 119 Tisdall street, Hamilton; George Montague Perry, 194 Simcoe street, Hamilton. [both 19th Battalion]

Officially reported missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—Robert Black, Latta, Ont. [26th Battalion]

Drowned—Wm. A. Ross (at Dover), 337 East Cannon street, Hamilton. [27th Battalion]

[died Nov. 17, 1915: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/365717?William%20Alexander%20Ross]

Previously reported admitted to hospital ship Anglia, suffering from sciatica, now missing, believed drowned—Major George Alex. Francois Romain, Montreal. [2nd Div. Engineers]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—Sapper Joe Spinks, 179 Simcoe street, Toronto. [3rd Field Co., Can. Eng.]

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia—Driver Henry James Nicholson, Montreal, Que. [Canadian Divisional Signal Co.]

Missing – George Curson, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia Nov. 17, England. [2nd Battalion]

Missing—Leonidas Joly, Montreal, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17. [22nd Battalion]

Missing – John McKenzie, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Scotland. [25th Battalion]

Missing—John R. Leggett, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, St. John, N.B. [26th Battalion]

Missing—Robert H. Allen, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, England. [29th Battalion]

November 25, 1915

Missing, believed drowned ex-hospital ship Anglia, Nov. 17—Archibald Ernest McEachern, Gravenhurst, Ont. [borden's Armored Battery]

• 6 months later...

The following is from the War Diary of the Borden's Motor Machine Gun Battery and provides information the initial wounding of A.E. McEachern prior to losing his life on 25 Novmeber 1915.  Borden Battery

"Wed., Nov 3, 1915   WESTOUTRE, BELGIUM
Raining all day. All trenches and dug outs caving in. The enemy dropped a number of high explosive shells on Maxim Farm but did no damage. Their attention was drawn to this vicinity by some fool French Engineers who were dismantling some buildings to secure timbers from the roof. About 4.30 p.m. Pte. D. McRAE was returning from our advance headquarters on VIERSTRAAT ROAD driving one of the CLYNO MOTOR CARS with supplies and was carrying an Artilleryman of the 13th Battery on the side car, while passing along the road immediately in the rear of SAND BAG VILLA several enemy shells burst quite close to him (the enemy were apparently searching for one of our Batteries which has been annoying them considerably of late), he speeded up his machine in an endeavor to get out of the zone of fire but a Shrapnel burst directly over him wounding his passenger in 5 places, wrecked the front wheel and stopped the engine.  Pte McRAE helped the Artilleryman to get to cover in a ditch and had barely left the car when a high explosive shell exploded in the road about 5 feet from the car totally wrecking it and scattering the wreckage over an area of 50 yards. He procured assistance and after attending to the wounded man had him taken to a dressing station. Later in the evening Pte. McRAE returned to the machine accompanied by Ptes J. BRENNEN and A.E. McEACHERN to salvage what tools and spare parts they could and while doing this the Germans again shelled this locality Pte. McEACHERN was wounded by a Shrapnel bullet passing through his ankle. Ptes BRENNAN and McREA carried him some 200 yards to a Belgian farm house where they gave him first aid and then carried him to the billet of the 16th R.F.A. and from there summoned an ambulance and had him sent to the LA GLETTE clearing station. A good day done
."
--- signed P.A.G. MacCarthy, Capt. O.C., Borden's Motor Machine Gun Battery.

Thank you for the information on Private McEachern who died in the sinking of the H.M. Hospital Ship Anglia on 17th November 1915, the details of his service life that you posted gives an insight into what is behind a name on a War memorial.
Regards
dabote 

• 3 months later...

It was sad to learn of the passing of Sue Light in July this year.  

Her son-in law’s uncle was Private Harry Eastwick who drowned in the sinking off Folkestone of the H.M. Hospital Ship “Anglia” on 17th November 1915, where  around 167 lives were lost.

Staff Nurse Mary Rodwell of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service was lost that day, but Matron Mrs Mitchell, Sister Alice Meldrum, and Miss E. A. Walton survived the sinking.  I am of the opinion that there might other nurses on board.

The “Anglia” shipwreck has not been given official ‘War Grave’ status yet!

The Hospital ship is popular with wreck divers as such it needs protection from some divers.

The update listing of the vessels covered by the Protection of Military Remains Act of 1986, will sometime soon published, it is hoped that H.M. Hospital Ship 'Anglia' will be on that list as an official “War Grave”.

It is regrettable if the “Anglia” gets the protection under the act that I cannot tell Sue that at last, those who died in the sinking of the ‘Anglia’ can now rest in peace.

Christopher (dabtoe)

Remembrance Sunday 12-11-2016

• 3 months later...

H.M. Hospital Ship "Anglia", has now been protection under the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986- Order 2017, also HMS Aboukir, SS Armenian, HMS Cressy, HMS E47, HMS E49, HMS Falmouth, HMS Hogue, HMS Lady Patricia, HMS Laurentic, HMS Moldavia, HMS Pheasant, HMS Viknor.

See link :-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/uksi/2017/147

Dabtoe

Thanks for the update, Christopher.

I had missed the previous post mentioning Harry Eastwick. Sue was good enough to send me a copy of his service file (this was in the days before they were available through Ancestry). In return, I went to photograph his house for her. Eastwick was a keen motorcyclist and I was somewhat gobsmacked to turn up at the house to find a bike parked in the small front garden. Just one of those co-incidences.

Eastwiick's full story here - http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/hartley/unlucky.htm

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 13/11/2016 at 19:54, dabtoe said:

Staff Nurse Mary Rodwell of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service was lost that day, but Matron Mrs Mitchell, Sister Alice Meldrum, and Miss E. A. Walton survived the sinking.  I am of the opinion that there might other nurses on board.

Hi, 

A timeline for H.M.H.S. Anglia. 

image.jpeg.91964effc0ee49073c43d1c9169ae457.jpeg

A few snippets from the nurses service files and ships war diary:

In the spring of 1915 a hurried conversion from the London and North Western Railway mail-packet to hospital ship had only taken seven days. Some of the stores were left on a railway truck at Gravesend, Anglia was at the Royal Albert Docks, London.

A telegram states ‘No hospital mattresses, pillows .. on board H.S. Anglia …. no towels or bed pans supplied, can borrow 50 towels emergency from ship and improvise mattresses with numerous spare blankets ..’ There’s no mention of what was improvised for the missing bed pans!

5th May: H.M.H.S. Anglia sailed for Dover where the nursing staff joined, she crossed the channel to Boulogne on the 8th and returned on the 9th with 142 cases, her first trip as a hospital ship.

15th May: A/Matron Mary Mitchell reported sick. Her file confirms she had measles and was temporarily replaced by A/Matron Violet Batteson until the 30th June when well enough to return to duty on Anglia. For much of June, Anglia had been in dock undergoing further alterations to the hospital part of the ship.

10th August: At 12:30 midnight a Zeppelin air ship circled over Dover harbour. Several bombs were dropped – two, close to Anglia, a little astern. The R.A.M.C. detachment behaved well.

17th August: (Boulogne) Miss D. Hubbard left for 4 General Hospital and Miss E. Walton joined for duty.

28th August: (Southampton) Major J. Maynard Crawford left Anglia and Captain W. J. Gow took over command.

31 October (the last entry in the war diary): .. orders to prepare the Officers ward for the use of H.M. the King…

Alice Meldrum was awarded the A.R.R.C. in 1921. By then, due to the large numbers of awards H.M. the King was no longer handing out all the decorations personally. Alice writes: As I had the honour of being on duty on board H.M.H.S. Anglia when we took his Majesty to England as a patient, I naturally should have liked to be personally decorated by His Majesty.” Alice’s requested was granted and she was awarded the A.R.R.C. privately by the King, with no publicity given to the fact that she attended at the Palace to receive the decoration.

Much has been already written about the sinking of H.M.H.S. Anglia and the loss of Mary Rodwell, a few more snippets:

Captain W. J. Gow R.A.M.C. was reduced unconscious by the initial explosion and Lieut. P. L. T. Bennett R.A.M.C. assumed control.

All three surviving nurses were in the water for about 30 minutes.

Alice Meldrum suffered shock but was fit by the 11th January 1916, returning to duties as A/Sister, No.4 General Hospital, Etaples. Her last posting terminated in 1920.

Evelyn Walton also suffered from bruising and shock from the explosion and being thrown into the water but she was fit by the 18th January 1916. She was posted to No.3 General Hospital, France. Later, during December 1916 Evelyn was awarded six weeks sick leave after suffering a nervous breakdown caused by ‘the heavy work on the Somme’ …. (she) ‘worked single handed in the operating theatre at Rouen’. Evelyn Walton continued to serve in France until the summer of 1918.

Mary Mitchell’s Medical Board states ‘She was thrown into the sea when the Hospital Ship “Anglia’ was sunk by a mine off Dover on November 17th 1915. She was helpless when rescued, but did not lose consciousness. She has shown no signs of severe shock, she has slept well and her mental state is good’.

The event however proved to much for Mary and she resigned from the service on 1st March 1916. The two other nurses were compensated for the loss of their kit but the strict War Office rules applied to Mary …‘loss of kit on active service can only be granted to you solely for the purpose of enabling you to re-equip yourself for further service. In view of your resignation, therefore it is regretted that compensation from Army funds is not admissible’.

A source of information regarding the actions of Mary Rodwell and the other the nurses during H.M.H.S. Anglia’s final minutes:

https://maritimearchaeologytrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Hospital-ships-booklet_FOR_PRINT_V1.pdf

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

Very interesting ZeZe,

Here are Maud McCarthy's comments:-

Received wire from “Dehorted” asking for temporary staff to be supplied for Hospital Ship Anglia – this has been done.

Learnt Matron (Anglia Hospital Ship) had measles. Wired War Office should I supply substitute (Matron warded 14 Stationary). Reply yes – sent Miss Batteson late QAIMNS temporarily.

Arranging transfers on St. Patrick and Anglia.

Pelting day. Went again to Chateau. Saw Miss E. Ward the Nurse. Everything going on satisfactorily, the King having a great deal of pain, suffering from severe bruising, fortunate no internal injuries and no bones broken. Hospital Ship Anglia to take H.M. over – patients will be on board also.

Left early with Miss Lyde for Aire, calling at Chateau and leaving shawl for the King. Then on to Station to 14 Train to see that all final arrangements were complete. Everything in order and looking first rate, except the weather, still very wet. Overhead aeroplanes were guarding us. The Suite, servants and luggage began to arrive, later Generals French, Haig and Sloggett. Then a little convoy of Ambulances, the King in one – the Nurses and Surgeons arrived. I assisted to lift him onto his bed. Before leaving the King decorated a Lance Corporal Coldstreams with VC*. Everyone most gracious. Sir A. Bowlby anxious for me to go to Boulogne in the train, however I decided to go by car so that I would be able to see that all arrangements on the Anglia were correct. Left by car after departure of train. Called at office. Drove to Boulogne to office, where I had lunch and then went with Surgeon-General to Anglia. Found everything beautifully arranged. Waited till I saw the King safely and comfortably established in his bunk and then returned to Hotel.

Learnt that the Anglia had been blown up, but could get no particulars. Mrs. Mitchell the Matron wired to her husband Major Mitchell that she was alright, and so far no more information has been received.

Wrote Major and Mrs. Mitchell re Anglia 19th, also the Lady-in-Waiting Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra re the King.

Heard from Mrs. Mitchell giving an accurate account of her experiences on the Anglia.

Saw Miss Batteson Q retired in a disgraceful hat and talked to her about it.

Miss Walton from Anglia arrived and posted to 3 General.

Letter from Miss Walton, ARRC, late Anglia, saying she is feeling the strain of the work.

Then went to the Sick Sisters’ Hospital, where I saw them all, including Miss Walton and Miss Harris, now both better, but suffering from their recent heavy work, and who are being sent Home for 3 weeks’ sick leave.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you Zeze , that's lovely to see the Nurses ' remembered here 

I found the booklet ( via your link ) was also fascinating for the details of the sinking of Anglia and what levels of bravery and selflessness there were from the nurses , orderlies, crew and many more.

The German submarine that likely laid the mine in the channel specifically designated for Hospital Ships only ..

Cheers

Fiona 

Hi Alf, 

The entry 01.11.15. is an interesting insight into all the ‘arrangements’ that were laid on for H.M. the King. Do you think he was the only patient on board? I wouldn’t be surprised if he was. 

Hi Fiona,

I agree, to précis a paragraph the booklet: ‘Mary Rodwell chose to go back below to comfort the casualties in their final moments’.

So brave.

Regards ZeZe

16 minutes ago, ZeZe said:

Hi Alf, 

The entry 01.11.15. is an interesting insight into all the ‘arrangements’ that were laid on for H.M. the King. Do you think he was the only patient on board? I wouldn’t be surprised if he was. 

Hi Fiona,

I agree, to précis a paragraph the booklet: ‘Mary Rodwell chose to go back below to comfort the casualties in their final moments’.

So brave.

Regards ZeZe

Absolutely.  The difference Mary must have made to those patients encased in the ship is not be measured in words , not mine anyway.

42 minutes ago, ZeZe said:

Hi Alf, 

Hi Fiona,

So brave.

Regards ZeZe

ZeZe,

Maud McCarthy's comments for 30th October indicates there were patients already on board. I can't imagine them being taken off because of the King. That wouldn't have looked good in the press. The War Diary may give some details.

Mary Rodwell certainly was extremely brave. She is mentioned on the Hollybrook War Memorial. Grave Memorial Records - Find A Grave

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf, 

You are right, the note 30th October does indicate cases onboard. The last War Diary entry regarding cases is for 26th: Patients still on board, then 27th: disembarked Dover, 147 cots & 163 walking cases.. Back to Boulogne on the 28th, nothing about loading the ship. I expect all the entries from 1st November onwards went down with Anglia. 

I’ve scanned through the War Diary and found only two (I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve missed some) Boat Drills recorded back in June & August. Boat Drills may not always have been noted, but the accounts if correct of the nurses not taking lifebelts for themselves but giving them to the men and Nurse Rodwell going back below do seem to indicate a lack of set routine and preparedness.

The Court of Enquiry ADM 1/8443/367 has not been digitised – has anyone read it?

Regards ZeZe

Edited by ZeZe

Hi ZeZe

Have read through this thread from its start and with yours and Alf's  recent additions as well,  I am all interested. Mary Rodwell 's records quoted  here show her Next of Kin as her brother , address 23 Palace Square, Upper Norwood, London.  That's 5 minutes walk from where my mother used to live  . Google maps show modern houses now  where 23 would have been.

I expect to have another another trip to NA at Kew at the end of July and will order up the  ADM file and take some photos of it. I guess it will all make a fascinating read .

Cheers

Fiona 

Edited by FionaBam
Grammar

It's a pity the court of enquiry records aren't available online, but if Fiona could copy them that would be great.

14 Ambulance Train was turned into a Royal Train to convey the King from AIRE to Boulogne to then board the 'Anglia'.

It was divided so that it wouldn't include any empty carriages, and the Royal Train was made up of;-

Coach F, comprising a vestibule {R.A.M.C. Attendants}, treatment room {the King's apartment}, office {2 Nursing Sisters} and lavatory.

Coach G, 1st half; 2 Medical Attendants, French Railway representative; 2nd half; Senior Officer, King's staff, 2 Junior Officers, King's staff.

Coach H, O/C Train, Personnel mess room, kitchen.

Coach J. The King's servants; Train personnel - R.A.M.C.; 2 English Police Inspectors; Clerk of Royal Household.

Goods wagons at both ends of train. The engine crew would be French.

The war diary for 14 Ambulance Train gives further details. The train would normally have a complement of 3 Nursing Sisters. However, 2 of them, C.M. PIERCE and M.P. KAVANAGH had resigned on the morning of 31st October, leaving only Miss WAKELIN. The 2 nurses on the Royal Train next day would probably be Miss WAKELIN and Miss E. WARD, the King's private nurse.

Lines of Communication Troops. 14 Ambulance Train | The National Archives

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Hi 

British Journal of Nursing Volume 55 Page 460 12/4/1915 https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/55/Volume%2055%20Page%20460

Mary’s Rodwell’s account of the King on board Anglia taken from letters to friend. There is also her first hand account of the Zeppelin raid.

On November 7th, only ten days before the sinking of the Anglia, Miss Rodwell wrote:-

Did you see we brought over the King on our boat ? Was it not an honour ? Such excitement and great preparation, as we were told if rough weather came we might have him and his suite on board for three or four days, just as we have the Tommies if it is very rough. However, we came over the same day. We started in fair weather, but it was a terrible crossing afterwards. We had an escort of four destroyers across the Channel. Usually we have none at all.

“The King’s suite, including the doctors and two nurses were all ill, and the nurses had to go to bed. Of course, in a way we were not sorry, as we got a look in, and looked after His Majesty, as we have all got our sea-legs. He was very nice, and shook hands and thanked us for what we did for him.”

Regards ZeZe

1 hour ago, ZeZe said:

Hi 

British Journal of Nursing Volume 55 Page 460 12/4/1915 https://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/volumes/55/Volume%2055%20Page%20460

Mary’s Rodwell’s account of the King on board Anglia taken from letters to friend. There is also her first hand account of the Zeppelin raid.

On November 7th, only ten days before the sinking of the Anglia, Miss Rodwell wrote:-

Did you see we brought over the King on our boat ? Was it not an honour ? Such excitement and great preparation, as we were told if rough weather came we might have him and his suite on board for three or four days, just as we have the Tommies if it is very rough. However, we came over the same day. We started in fair weather, but it was a terrible crossing afterwards. We had an escort of four destroyers across the Channel. Usually we have none at all.

“The King’s suite, including the doctors and two nurses were all ill, and the nurses had to go to bed. Of course, in a way we were not sorry, as we got a look in, and looked after His Majesty, as we have all got our sea-legs. He was very nice, and shook hands and thanked us for what we did for him.”

Regards ZeZe

Hi Zeze

That's really sweet. Her excitement about having the sick King on board is tangible. 

Thanks for the link too. That Nursing Journal looks a treasure trove of information. 

Cheers

Fiona 

5 hours ago, alf mcm said:

It's a pity the court of enquiry records aren't available online, but if Fiona could copy them that would be great.

14 Ambulance Train was turned into a Royal Train to convey the King from AIRE to Boulogne to then board the 'Anglia'.

It was divided so that it wouldn't include any empty carriages, and the Royal Train was made up of;-

Coach F, comprising a vestibule {R.A.M.C. Attendants}, treatment room {the King's apartment}, office {2 Nursing Sisters} and lavatory.

Coach G, 1st half; 2 Medical Attendants, French Railway representative; 2nd half; Senior Officer, King's staff, 2 Junior Officers, King's staff.

Coach H, O/C Train, Personnel mess room, kitchen.

Coach J. The King's servants; Train personnel - R.A.M.C.; 2 English Police Inspectors; Clerk of Royal Household.

Goods wagons at both ends of train. The engine crew would be French.

The war diary for 14 Ambulance Train gives further details. The train would normally have a complement of 3 Nursing Sisters. However, 2 of them, C.M. PIERCE and M.P. KAVANAGH had resigned on the morning of 31st October, leaving only Miss WAKELIN. The 2 nurses on the Royal Train next day would probably be Miss WAKELIN and Miss E. WARD, the King's private nurse.

Lines of Communication Troops. 14 Ambulance Train | The National Archives

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you Alf. Good to picture the train. How nerve wracking for all service personnel and the French railway staff to know what important cargo they carried that day.

I am sorry it wont be till end of July but time is flying by at the moment it seems?!

Cheers

Fiona.

One of the many casualties who perished on that fateful day 17th Nov 1915

Pte 14379 William Bycroft 8th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

BycroftWilliamPte143798thBnYorkshireRegiment(I.C.March16).JPG.5ff5e20b3520c90aec42373d1b84164e.JPG

1mar16bycroft.JPG.78f0a7c855a69562693222a4131c6382.JPG