Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Anglia" Hospital Ship lost 17th November 1915

dabtoe

There are sometimes internet references to be found in regard to the sinking of the Hospital ship Anglia on 17th November 1915 which refer to 5 officers missing believed drowned, however the time only record four, Major Janin, Major Napier, Lt. Taylor, and Lt. Tharratt. Does anyone know the name of the fifth officer?

It has also been claimed that “The wreck of HMHS Anglia was one of the first 21 war graves designated by the Government under the 1986 Protection of Military Remains Act.” The Hospital ship ‘Anglia’ is not currently designated as a war grave under the 1986 act, so if it was ever officially listed anyone any idea when and where?

Dabtoe

The Wikipedia article on the Act lists various Statutory Instruments designating wrecks under the Act (references 4,5,6,7 and 23). To see if any are missed, try a search on http://www.legislation.gov.uk

There was this ship lost that date, but no reference to it being a Hospital Ship....

001 ASHTON AF - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

002 BASSETT WE - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

003 CALLAWAY WH - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

004 CAMPBELL NJ - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

005 EVANS R - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

006 HUGHES J - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

007 HUGHES LD - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

008 JONES O - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

009 JONES O - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

010 JONES J - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

011 LEWIS W - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

012 LEWIS J - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

013 OWEN TH - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

014 PARRY TR - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

015 PRITCHARD R - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

016 REDMOND J - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

017 STUART R - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

018 THOMAS R - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

019 THOMAS O - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

020 WALLACE A - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

021 WILLIAMS GE - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

022 WILLIAMS J - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

023 WILLIAMS R - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

024 WILLIAMS M - ANGLIA DUBLIN 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE

Obviously, these are the crew.

With regard to the Names you mention, I used Geoffs Search Engine to search on the Date and Hollybrook Memorial.

That produced 107 Names of Army officers and men of a range of different units.

Among them were Napier, Taylor and Tharratt but not Janin.

Ah, one extra Mercantile Marine man

ROBERTS RD - HS ANGLIA 17/11/1915 MERCANTILE MARINE, linking to the same ship.

Now there was no other ship lost that day, so all these Army personnel must have been on the Anglia.....

I don't know how that helps you with your quest, but I hope it is of some use...

EDIT: 23 Canadian casualties on Hollybrook on 17/11/1915, including your Major George Janin

Ah, by Googling, I found that the crew are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial

The men named below are those crew lost, commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial WWI section. 1 crew member is buried ashore in Anglesey

ROBERTS, Chief Steward, R D, H.S. "Anglia.". Mercantile Marine. 17th November 1915. Buried Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery.

Tower Hill

ASHTON, Cabin Boy, ALBERT FREDERICK, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 19. Son of Annie Charlotte Ashton, of 9, High Terrace, Holyhead.

BASSETT, Seaman, WILLIAM EDWARD, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 50. Husband of Frances Bassett (nee Williams), of 5, Station St., Holyhead.

CALLAWAY, Steward, WILLIAM HENRY, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 23. Son of Charles Edward Callaway, of 2, Wian St., Holyhead.

CAMPBELL, Purser, N J, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine, 17th November 1915. Age 37. Husband of Agnes Gwendoline Campbell (nee Williams), of Bryn Awel, Penrhosfeilw, Holyhead.

EVANS, Fireman, R, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 43. Husband of Ann Evans (nee Lewis), 32, King's Rd., Holyhead.

HUGHES, Cook, J, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 28. Son of Mrs. Mary Hughes, of 45, Aked St., Stockport Rd., Manchester. Born at Holyhead.

HUGHES, Engineers' Boy, LEWIS DAVID, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Son of Robert and Elizabeth Hughes, of 9, Mountain View, Holyhead.

JONES, Fireman, JOHN, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by Mine 17th November 1915. Age 60. Husband of Anne Jones (nee Thomas), of 25, Rock St., Holyhead.

JONES, Fireman, OWEN, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 45. Father of Owen John Jones, of 8, Porthdaforch Rd., Holyhead.

JONES, Fireman, OWEN, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 28. Husband of Grace Ann Jones (nee Downing), of 29, Hexham Rd., Mount Rd., Gorton, Manchester.

LEWIS, Fireman, JOHN, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 41. Husband of Grace Lewis (nee Jones), of 17, Millbank Terrace, Holyhead. Born in Wales.

LEWIS, Quartermaster, WILLIAM, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 56. Born in Wales. Father of Ellen and Margaret Lewis, of 6 Cecil St., London Rd., Holyhead.

OWEN, Galley Boy, THOMAS H., "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915.

PARRY, Seaman, THOMAS RICHARD, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 25. Son of Thomas and Ellen Parry, of 40, Crown St., Carnarvon. Born at Bangor.

PRITCHARD, Trimmer, ROBERT, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine, 17th November 1915. Age 20. Son of Robert and Jane Pritchard, of 8, Bont Hufa, Holyhead.

REDMOND, Fireman, JAMES, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 29. Born at Liverpool.

STUART, Fireman, R, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915.

THOMAS, Stoker, OWEN, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 55. Husband of Elizabeth Thomas (nee Jones), of "Beulah," Holborn Rd., Holyhead.

THOMAS, Deck Boy, RICHARD, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 16. Son of Margaret Thomas, of 57, London Rd., Holyhead.

WALLACE, Steward, ALFRED, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 31. (Served as JONES). Stepbrother of Ethel Jones, of Bern Mill, Gaerwen, Anglesey. Born at Holyhead.

WILLIAMS, Chief Engineer, GEORGE EDWARD, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 57. Husband of Emily Wynn Williams (nee Roberts), of Sylvan, Cae Sand, Bontnewydd, Carnarvon.

WILLIAMS, Third Engineer, JOSEPH, "Anglia" (Dublin) . Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine, 17th November 1915. Age 32. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Bennison Williams, of 8, Upper Park St., Holyhead.

WILLIAMS, 2nd Steward, MEREDITH, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine, 17th November 1915. Age 28. Son of Margaret Williams, of 32, Blackbridge, Holyhead. Born at Everton.

WILLIAMS, Cabin Boy, ROBERT, "Anglia" (Dublin). Mercantile Marine. Killed by mine 17th November 1915. Age 20. Son of John and Jane Williams, of "Tanydderwen," London Rd., Holyhead.

One body buried ashore, shades of Harry Lund!!!

Thank you for that, as you probably have found out there is no mention of the Hospital ship “Anglia”, the listing only go back to 2001, and seemly the listing before then has been removed from the archives website. Hence the enquiry if anyone has the old fashioned paper records. As I recall from the listing that I remember a decade or more ago the “Anglia” was just being considered for designation.

Thank you also for the crew list which seems to be the same names as I have, however regarding the troops that embarked on to the hospital ship I can only find the names of four of the alleged five officers who were lost in the sinking.

Dabtoe

Of the 107 UK personnel, only 3 were officers, Napier, Taylor and Tharratt, plus 1 Canadian officer. The only other person listed without a Service Number is

Name: RODWELL, MARY. Rank: Staff Nurse

Regiment/Service: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

Date of Death: 17/11/1915

Memorial HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON

The U-boat that laid the mine was UC 5, captained by Herbert Pustkuchen. The location of the sinking seems to be about 1 mile from something called the Folkestone Gate, which I assume is somewhere in the Irish Sea if a body was washed ashore on Anglesey. Of course, the possibility is that there was at least one more officer and/or men (I think there is a reference to 134 deaths of passengers, so they may also have been washed ashore, but not identifiable. You seem certain that there were 5 officers, where does that assumption come from?

Correction: Folkestone Gate does seem to be in the Channel, so the body buried in Anglesey was presumably returned to his home... Maybe some others were also recovered and also returned home for burial, so maybe someone could scour the 17th November 1915 casualties for those buried "At Home"... but then how could we tell if from the sinking? There was also a confusing reference to the Lusitania, but turns out the Lusitania involved in rescuing some of the passengers was a collier, not the liner! This ship also hit a mine and sank.

This website HMHS Anglia only states 4 officers and 1 nurse, plus 390 wounded.

Anglia lies approx 4 miles SW of Dover (Kent) in about 25-30m of water. She was mined near the 'Folkestone Gate' which was the swept entrance through the Dover Barrage of nets and mines that spread across the channel between England and France to help stop U-boats.

She was designated as a war grave but it is allowed to dive the wreck on a strictly look but leave alone basis. She was not one of the later wrecks designated as no diving allowed that followed in about 2005. Dover SAC have placed a brass plaque upon her commemorating those lost.

It is quite poignant diving the wreck ( I have done a couple of times).

Lusitania (the collier) lies nearby, as does the Armed trawler Falmouth III sunk in the same minefield of 4 mines laid by UC 5.

My understanding is that the Anglia was a Hospital Ship. My research has been into Mary Rodwell, QAIMNS, who seems to have been responsible for 200 cot cases. This seems a huge number for one woman so although invalided I am guessing that none were life threatening. Additionally she was the only female casualty off the boat so I wonder how much assistance was felt necessary rather confirming that the casualties were fairly well able to help themselves..

The following is taken from Dover & Folkestone during the Great War (Pen&Sword 2008):

The sinking of the Hospital Ship Anglia, 17 November 1915

Due to the ever increasing number of casualties from the Western Front, the initial complement of four hospital ships at Dover was supplemented with the arrival of a number of merchant passenger steamers, being Cambria, Anglia, Dieppe, Brighton and Newhaven. The fleet was marked in accordance with the Geneva Convention with the unmistakeable Red Cross flag. The Anglia, under her Irish skipper Captain Lionel Manning, and with most of her merchant crew from the Holyhead service, arrived after her refit in May 1915. She and her crew set about their new duties with enthusiasm and they must have been proud to have been given the delicate task, on 1 November 1915, of bringing the King back from France after he had sustained injuries when he fell from his horse whilst reviewing troops.

The morning of 17 November 1915 dawned clear and bright and a smooth crossing for the 386 casualties was expected. Casting off from Boulogne harbour at 11am, a little later than planned, Anglia headed for Dover taking the route reserved solely for the hospital ships, and which was marked by special buoys. As they approached the buoy just east of the Folkestone Gate, Captain Manning remarked to his men that they had made a beautiful crossing and went to fetch his gloves from his room. Just as he arrived back on the bridge, the ship was rocked by a massive explosion. Manning’s first thought was to call for help: ‘I at once jumped up and, going to the wireless cabin, ordered the wireless operator to send the SOS signal. I found his face cut and the room wrecked, and he explained to me that the apparatus was useless. I ran at once to the telegraphs to stop the ship, but found that they were broken by the explosion, and then hurrying to the voice tube I gave verbal orders to the engine room, but that was also broken. The ship was now very much by the head, and the starboard propeller was turning clear of the water.’ In these few sentences Captain Manning has described the ultimate nightmare for a stricken ship; no communication with the outside world, none with his engine room and the ship sinking bow first with her propellers still turning, thus driving herself under the waves. On top of this he had nearly 400 souls on board who could not fend for themselves.

For those who had managed to get into the boats, the welcome sight of the collier, MS Lusitania (not the cruise ship of the same name which was sunk on 7 May 1915) hove into view. She had seen the explosion and turned round, lowering her own boats to help pick up survivors. Captain Manning described what happened next: ‘Our boats at this time approached Lusitania with a view to putting their crews on board. Being on the lower bridge at the time, I saw them proceed to Lusitania, but as the first man started to clamber on board the rescuing vessel there was another explosion, and the Lusitania sank stern first shortly afterwards.’

The explosions had been seen at Dover, and two ships were sent to investigate, HMS Ure and HMS Hazard. On arrival at the scene, Lieutenant Boxer in command of Ure was faced with an almost impossible task; the Anglia was bow down in the water with her engines still running, one propeller was under the water making the stricken vessel turn in circles at an alarming 8 knots, and the other propeller was just a few feet above the surface turning like a giant circular saw. On the Anglia’s decks were sick and injured men whose only hope of rescue lay with HMS Ure. In a feat of outstanding seamanship and bravery, Boxer rushed towards the hospital ship and, matching her movements, got close enough for his crew to be able to manhandle many to safety. He repeated the manoeuvre, but seeing that there remained others clinging to the fast sinking Anglia, he made a final dash and, positioning Ure across her sunken bow, he managed to take off all those still on deck.

Petty Officer William Couzens had joined the Royal Navy as a boy in 1893, gradually working his way up through the ranks, before joining Hazard in October 1913. Hazard was an old gunboat and difficult to manoeuvre, but boats picked up many survivors who had jumped into the sea, and PO Couzens has left us with photographs of that dreadful day.

With their human cargoes aboard, HMS Ure and Hazard returned to Dover, and there began the tasks of counting the costs and discovering what had happened. Given the circumstances, it was perhaps miraculous that anyone had survived that cold November day, but the number lost was still considerable, and there was worldwide outrage. Of the crew of Anglia, 25 perished, consisting of the Purser, 4 deckhands, 12 engine room men and 8 stewards. There had been a total of twenty five medical staff on board, including 3 female nurses. Of these 10 orderlies and one nurse, Sister E A Walton, were lost. Of the 386 injured officers and men who had left Boulogne, and the battlefields of France for what they expected was the safety of home, 5 officers and 128 men drowned.

Captain Lionel Manning was found floating, unconscious, in the sea and was rescued. A man of few words, Manning later praised the work of his crew and those of the rescue ships. He also told the story of one of the RAMC nurses, Sister M S Mitchell, who was found up to her waist in water in B Ward trying to bring out a cot case. Lieutenant Bennett who found her helped to bring the invalid up to safety, but he then had to use force to stop Sister Mitchell from returning to the ward, where she would certainly have perished.

The cause of the disaster was quickly established. The German mine laying submarine UC-5 had set a chain of mines around the buoy which, as already mentioned had been placed for the sole use of returning hospital ships. It might have been thought to have been a terrible mistake by the captain of UC-5 but a communiqué issued from Berlin the next day made it clear that it was not. It was claimed that the British were using vessels, masquerading as hospital ships, for carrying combatants and munitions, though no evidence to support this claim was ever produced, and it was strenuously denied by the Admiralty.

Mike

PS it's ok, I have copyright in the article :)

post-47007-023284100 1295022995.jpgThank you all for your help and concern, so far, I have identified the names of the 168 souls lost in the sinking of the "Anglia". 1 nurse (sister), 9 R.A.M.C. staff, 4 officers, 129 wounded soldiers, and 25 of her crew. There has been mention of 5 officers, but I know of only find the names of four officers.

The MOD have refused on a number of occasions to designate the HM Hospital Ship "Anglia", as an official 'War Grave', under the protection on the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986. For current list see the following link: -

Divers do visit known 'War Graves', many show respect for those who lost their lives, looking but not touching, and not entering the wreck or removing or disturbing anything, but sadly, many do not.

In 2008 an article in the local paper tells of hydraulic jacks being used to break Anglia's Port anchor away from the deck. (See attachment) I am of the opinion that this has sent a message to all divers that it is 'OK' to go hunting for mementoes and war souvenirs by rummaging through the remains of the War Dead, which would increase the plunder & pillage of Maritime War Graves such as the Hospital ship "Anglia", which resulted in the request to the MOD (Navy) to designate under the Act, which sadly they refused to do.

Dabtoe

Some 23 of the dead crewmen came from Holyhead, the other two from Caernarfon and Liverpool.

Chief Steward Richard D. Roberts, aged 37, alone was recovered and identified and so sent back to Holyhead for burial. The rest of the crew are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Steward Alfred Jones was serving under an alias - his real surname was Wallace.

One of those drowned was Richard Thomas, Deck Boy aged 16, possibly the youngest casualty. Six months later on 31 May 1916 his father, also Richard Thomas, was lost at Jutland as an RNR Stoker aboard HMS Queen Mary.

On 5 November 1915 the mainly local crew of HMS Tara had also been sunk in the Mediterranean, the survivors being captured by Senussi nomads and enduring starvation before most were finally rescued in March 1916. So November 1915 was a bad month for the town of Holyhead.

LST_164

Edited by LST_164

All being well, if you click the link below, there is a fairly high res montage of PO Couzens with 3 pics of the sinking of the ANGLIA.

Click HERE

Mike

Mike

I assume that you are the author of ‘Dover and Folkestone during the Great War’, due to your link to your website, therefore could you name the five officers that you mention as lost in the sinking of the “Anglia” also the ‘10 orderlies’, as so far, I can only trace the names of nine? If so it would be most helpful.

Dabtoe

sorry post deleted....

• 4 years later...

My understanding is that the Anglia was a Hospital Ship. My research has been into Mary Rodwell, QAIMNS, who seems to have been responsible for 200 cot cases. This seems a huge number for one woman so although invalided I am guessing that none were life threatening. Additionally she was the only female casualty off the boat so I wonder how much assistance was felt necessary rather confirming that the casualties were fairly well able to help themselves..

Hello,

I found this listing regarding the "Anglia" and Mary Rodwell and wondered if you were still researching this lady?

Fingers crossed I hear back from you or anyone who has research interests with the "Anglia".

Kind regards, Sarah.

Hello,

I found this listing regarding the "Anglia" and Mary Rodwell and wondered if you were still researching this lady?

Fingers crossed I hear back from you or anyone who has research interests with the "Anglia".

Kind regards, Sarah.

Yes, I am still looking for information on the woman although I now have quite a bit about her..

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your note. I am writing a book regarding my grandfather's war experiences as an Army Chaplain during WW1. The book, The Half Shilling Curate will be pubished next year (although I do not have an exact date from the publishers yet). Anyway, Mary Rodwell forms part of my grandfather's story and I am trying to locate a quality high resolution picture of her in her nurse's uniform? Just wondering if you might be able to help me please? Could you point me in the right direction or maybe you have such a picture yourself? Fingers crossed. I shall look forward to hearing from you. THANK YOU. Bye for now, Sarah Reay.

Could she have been counted as the 5th officer? Were staff nurses accorded commissiioned rank informally to give them authority they may need in the care of their patients?

They would be treated as officers by everyone as they went about their duties but never actually holding military rank. Just a thought...

Sarah, the only photograph that I have is from the exhibition put on by the Imperial War Museum, in conjunction with Gale, a few years ago, on Women at War.

Hello Jim & Loader,

Firstly Loader

Could she have been counted as the 5th officer? Were staff nurses accorded commissiioned rank informally to give them authority they may need in the care of their patients?

They would be treated as officers by everyone as they went about their duties but never actually holding military rank. Just a thought...

Yes, indeed you may be right, but I think it's possibly one of those queries where we shall never truly know the answer. Thanks for your note!

Sarah, the only photograph that I have is from the exhibition put on by the Imperial War Museum, in conjunction with Gale, a few years ago, on Women at War.

Hi Jim,

I don't know which picture this was so I wonder if it would be possible for you to post the picture on the forum or if you could send me a copy through 'personal messanger'? I know that anything that comes directly from IWM costs a huge amount to reproduce as I'm already looking to use two of their images. Anyway, fingers crossed. I've had a look on line for Gale and Women at War but can't find any images of Mary Rodwell on their websites? Thanks again!

Jim is correct in stating that the IWM have a photo of Mary Rodwell. It is in the Women At Work collection. Her next of kin was her brother I Rodwell of 23 Palace square, Upper Norwood.

Jim is correct in stating that the IWM have a photo of Mary Rodwell. It is in the Women At Work collection. Her next of kin was her brother I Rodwell of 23 Palace square, Upper Norwood.

Thanks Carmania - I am hoping (with fingers crossed!) that someone on this forum might even have an original photograph of her!!! Wouldn't that be good!

Hope the attached will do

Regards

dabtoe

Dear dabtoe,

Thank you for sending me a copy of this image. This was the image that originated from the Nursing Journal after she was killed in 1915. I'm hoping that I might find an original or high resolution picture of her somewhere to use in my book. Anyway, in the meantime thank you dabtoe and if you find a larger image of Mary Rodwell, please remember me!! Thank you!! Kind regards, Sarah.

Sarah, I have a note that there was a photograph of her in the League Journal of the C.L.S.A. (Hendon) Nurses’ League in early 1916. This is different to the British Journal of Nursing so I wonder which Dabtoe found his/hers in. I am happy to send you a photograph from the IWM exhibition ( it is only 425 KB) attached to an email but it is their copyright so you would not be able to use it in your book without their permission. I can tell you that it is a different one to the one above. Jim