Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How did southpaws manage in the war ?

RodB

How about the lad below - a Boer guerilla, not subject to any military orthodoxy : Looks like he shoots left-handed. Would that be a Lee-Metford or some sort of Mannlicher ? This is my favourite military photograph, it tells a story, and I think this is where my starting question came from subconsciously. I understand Boers relied on extreme marksmanship rather than massed fire, so I would assume that any slowness in operating the bolt would be more than offset by his accuracy resulting from using his preferred action ?

459px-Afrikaner_Commandos2.JPG

How about the lad below - a Boer guerilla, not subject to any military orthodoxy : Looks like he shoots left-handed. Would that be a Lee-Metford or some sort of Mannlicher ? This is my favourite military photograph, it tells a story, and I think this is where my starting question came from subconsciously. I understand Boers relied on extreme marksmanship rather than massed fire, so I would assume that any slowness in operating the bolt would be more than offset by his accuracy resulting from using his preferred action ?

459px-Afrikaner_Commandos2.JPG

Marksmanship might be ok if he enjoyed the luxury of (i) range and (ii) time, but he'd be fairly quickly shot down if he got mixed up in a more typical close-range firefight - he'd be much slower to load and aim accurately than a right hooker.

Rod - both the guys at the front have Lee-Enfields, probably Mark I*, but the picture does not show the muzzles, so it is unclear whether they have clearing rods fitted.

The chaop at the left rear has a Mauser M 1895 in 7x57mm calibre, probably made by Steyr.

Regards

TonyE

Greetings and Happy New Year.....I shoot with either hand/shoulder and do not have a dominate eye. I prefer to shoot rifles left handed and have no problem working the bolt with my left hand. I just reach over the top of the action and work the bolt. I have never had any problems with semi, or full auto, rifles shooting from the left shoulder. I shoot against myself with pistols. It depends on the day which hand is a better shot.

Straight bolts are easier to work than turned down bolts. Close on cocking are a bit more difficult to close than cock on opening bolts. But, the issue at hand is to enjoy shooting. I doubt if I will ever need to answer the call to arms to defend my country, again. My right hand rifle shooting will pick up in the near future when the scope for my M1 Garand arrives.....chris3

I shoot against myself with pistols.

There was an early comic book superhero who used to play tennis against himself beating the service delivery so he could return it but even he wouldn't manage a pistol duel against himself. Am impressed but couldn't you just agree that you'd get the girl?

If you continue to shoot against yourself, coppertales, I'm sure you'll come to no harm :innocent: However, I have a hunch that Centurion and a couple of other Old Sweats around here would drill you between the eyes while you were still trying to reach over the breech. You'll find the scope will limit your scope for a practical firing rate quite a bit further. We are discussing this topic within the context of WW1, not a civilian rifle-range. Have a good and accurate New Year. Antony

You'll find the scope will limit your scope for a practical firing rate quite a bit further.

Probably not as he was talking about it being fitted to a semi-automatic (M1 Garand) rifle.... :whistle:

Probably not as he was talking about it being fitted to a semi-automatic (M1 Garand) rifle.... :whistle:

Good shot! :blink: Antony

And so not very relevant to the discussion in hand

I'm right-handed but have a dominant left eye. When I shoot I have to keep my left eye shut in order to be able to see through the rear sight. Years ago I qualified Expert with the M16 so it works OK for me, but I can't practice the military technique of using my left eye to watch the enemy and my right one to aim the weapon. I've heard it said that this condition can have a bad effect on hand-eye coordination.

I have that problem as well.