Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Let Those Who Come After See To It

Tom Morgan

Honestly Terry - I think you must have video replay of every Sussex cemetery! I can guess what your special subject will be on 'Mastermind'!

Ali

There are ten WW2 graves in the extension - I have a plan of it with all the plots numbered, so with the CWGC cemetery report it is possible to find them. If you would like a copy, I'll scan and send it. Both the churchyard and extension are the responsibility of the church, and there was quite a bit of lobbying a couple of years ago to get it cut down a bit. There used to be a notice outside the extension which explained that it was left as a wildlife garden, but inside the gate on the right [just where I was standing to take the first photo], is the children's burial plot, which is still active, and a lot of the parents were very upset with the state of the cemetery in general - quite understandably. So it was cut down by volunteers the summer before last, and last year I did see a gardener down there on a couple of occasions. It's not wonderful now, but at least a lot of the brambles and inpenetrable undergrowth has gone.

I keep meaning to go up there and take some photos of the WW2 graves - last week when I took the photo it was pouring, so I didn't stop - and it really is a bit secluded to wander around on your own at dusk! The churchyard itself has been kept under control since then as well - two years ago I walked around literally 'up to my neck' in grass, weeds and brambles. Now it's just 'wild,' but possible to find your way around.

Sue

Sue

Having visited all 309 war grave cemeteries in Sussex at least three times each - and many several times more - you do tend to remember a few things.

However, you also forget some things - your name, what time you promised to be home etc etc!

Sue,

If you could send the plan I would be grateful. I did photo a couple last year but they weren't great as my camera was playing up. I may go for a wander on Friday as I am at a loose end (van is at the garage- I killed the clutch!!) I need to get some pics of the relatives graves.

Best wishes

Ali

Ali

I've sent it to the last email address I have for you - if for any reason you've changed it, let me know!

Sue

I have been much struck by the photos of the Western Front and Palestine cemeteries posted on this forum. They are well kept and cared for and and have been made into areas of real beauty and peace. They shame our British authorities.

Marina

Whilst agreeing with much of the ecological debate within this thread, I have to side with Tom on the poor quality of maintenance by Sandwell council. Had the graves been those of some minority group, a working party would've spent two years undertaking a feasibility study into the mowing of the graves, and funded some local crims to tidy them up under the Community service banner.

There are sufficient corners of 'Sandwell' for wildlife to flourish; all the closed-down manufacturing sites that lie dormant, following the decimation of British industry in th seventies and eighties.

Cut the bl***y grass, you green and yellow clowns.

Those brave lads ARE on of your precious minorities.

hello all,

in a survey a few years back sandwell was found to be the 2nd worst place to live in britain(stoke came 1st)

as i live at the other end of sandwell (old rowley regis council) its just as bad here.

the talk of brown field sites turning into meadows is rubbish, most brown field sites in my area are having houses build on them!

words cannot explain what i think of sandwell council

enoch

q. what green and yellow and sleeps two

a. a sandwell council van