Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

..QM..Capt Walter Palmer MBE, MC .9th /16th.KRRC

27thBN

I am after any info on a QM and Lt\Capt Walter Palmer MBE,MC,MID ..KRRC would be most helpful .His MBE isnt in the group but have the services of officers 1920 and LG page to confirm it .He was in the Army gymnasium service before the war and won 8 royal tournament medals for fencing and sabre contests

Thanks Tony

post-50787-085245400 1291463179.jpg

Tony,

It is probably not the same circumstances but my g/uncle (was a Major) who was serving at the time was retired in 1941 when he was 55.

Cheers David

I've consistently come across men stood down from the Reserve at age 55, sometimes the date (per the Gazette_ is their 55 birthday, but not always. I suppose there may be a variation, and if so I suspect Quartermasters may be different.

Steve.

In that case, very probably 55 as well! I hadn't researched many QMs up to retirement, and I didn't want to make an assumption that honorary officers were the same as "full" commissioned officers.

Steve.

Thanks both i had a typo i meant 55 as the age not 50 anyway.So that does tie in with his age .Any news on the man would be also great

thanks Tony

• 2 years later...
Guest Jon Palmer

Captain Walter Palmer M.C. was my Great Grandfather. I have info on him regarding his service records but was unaware he received an MBE.

I have only recently found this info and posted his name on google to see what came up hence the lateness of my reply. Are you still interested?

• 8 months later...

Captain Walter Palmer M.C. was my Great Grandfather. I have info on him regarding his service records but was unaware he received an MBE.

I have only recently found this info and posted his name on google to see what came up hence the lateness of my reply. Are you still interested?

yes most definitely so Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi well I only just read your post from end 2013 thats great I have his medals.

I'm.after his service record full stop to be honest I don't know how many pages if to many the ones showing enlistment and service in ww1 anything interesting in the service record and in particular do you have a picture of him ,that in would be very interesting. He must have been quite a sportsman to have won 8 medals in tournaments ,sorry for late reply don't know how I missed your post that long ago regards

• 8 years later...

Cross-linking this thread with a newer topic covering Palmer's involvement in training the AEF over the summer of 1918 here:

9th KRRC nucleus - Training AEF Units - May 1918

I suggest any new material specifically on Palmer goes here in this topic ... good to have everything with his medals!

Mark

On 04/12/2010 at 11:48, 27thBN said:

I am after any info on a QM and Lt\Capt Walter Palmer MBE,MC,MID ..KRRC would be most helpful .His MBE isnt in the group but have the services of officers 1920 and LG page to confirm it .He was in the Army gymnasium service before the war and won 8 royal tournament medals for fencing and sabre contests

Thanks Tony

War Services from Quarterly Army List, Q4 1919:

ArmyListQuarterly-1919Q4Vol4P1270-WarServices1710a(crop).jpg.1b8b6469080a209a9ec65490ee43ec2e.jpg

MBE and MC both listed.

Entry in the Gradation List of Quarter-Masters in the same Quarterly Army List (Q4 1919):

ArmyListQuarterly-1919Q4Vol3P741710a.jpg.97dc43fcc7d23b899903c92f0a7e1a24.jpg

MBE omitted, MC listed.  

Date of Birth 09 Mar 1875.  Counting back from his 25 Aug 1914 posting to the KRRC gives Enlistment 09 May 1893 and promotion to Warrant Officer on 27 Jan 1911.

Entry in the Warrant Officers of Educational Establishments section of the Jun 1914 Monthly Army List, shown as Serjeant-Major, Army Gymnastic Staff at RMA Woolwich, rank effective 27 Jan 1911, so this is his first (and only) post as a WO.

ArmyListMonthly-1914-06P7492263.jpg.24f7aee5d07b438e347dff6709fadced.jpg

In the KRRC Chronicle 9th Battalion War Record, a Roll of Officers of 9/KRRC as at 21 Jan 1915 includes Lieut. and Quartermaster Palmer.  The battalion had just moved to Witley Camp.

Palmer is again listed in a further Roll of Officers of 9/KRRC when the bn embarked for France on 20 May 1915.  This is also his Embarkation Date on his campaign medal MIC and the 1914-15 Star roll.

More to follow tomorrow, but I am called away for now!

Mark