Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th KRRC nucleus - Training AEF Units - May 1918

RedCoat

Good evening all,

In May 1918, The 9th King's Royal Rifle Corps nucleus, under the command of the 16th Division, began training AEF units. 

I've spent a some time digging around but can't find much on the subject at all. 

Does anyone have any further info on 9/KRRC and its time training the Americans?

Kind regards
RC

Surely you mean the 34th Division?

On the 2nd May the 5th OBLI, 9th KRRC & 9th RB training nucleus were temporarily attached to the 16th Division, on 16th May 8th & 9th KRRC, 8th & 9th RB training nucleus were transferred to the 34th Division, whereas the 6th Somerset L. I., 5th OBLI & 7th KRRC training nucleus stayed with the 16th Division.

Various other units of the 14th Division were also sent to train US troops such as the Field Ambulances, certain Engineer Field Coys etc whilst the 14th Division was reformed in the UK.

Andy

DSC00928 copy.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

Yes, I did mean 34th Division - I misremembered the 16th was a temporary attachment.

Thanks for the info.

Kind regards
RC

Welcome RC,

Not sure of your interest here, US 80th & 78th Div?, if so if you download WO95/2436-4 (34th Div General staff Diary for May & June 1918) you will find tables of training to be given to the US troops and maps of the areas the training was to take place & Training Battalions Cadre's staffing.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

4 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Welcome RC,

Not sure of your interest here, US 80th & 78th Div?, if so if you download WO95/2436-4 (34th Div General staff Diary for May & June 1918) you will find tables of training to be given to the US troops and maps of the areas the training was to take place & Training Battalions Cadre's staffing.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am particularly interested in finding out which AEF units the 9th KRRC trained. I will download the War Diaries you mention and see what I can find -

Cheers
RC

RC,

This looks like a winding path re the 9th KRRC and 9th RB. I originally tracked the 8th RB (my interest here) to going on to train the 80th US Division with the 8th KRRC. The 9th KRRC seems to have gone to the 101st Brigade which was transferred to the 39th Division. Still trying to tie them down for you. To follow the road along the logical path according the various  orders (2nd Army & 39th Div) you might also want to download WO95/2567-4. (July- Nov 1918)

They also were placed at the disposal of the Adjutant General

Andy

Thanks Andy for the heads-up on this one :ph34r:

Back in 2008, I transcribed the complete 1918 9/KRRC Battalion War Record from the 1918 KRRC Chronicle in this post here:  Archibald Bolton, 9/KRRC

The relevant bit for your purposes is (my highlighting) ...

May

The nucleus of the Battalion, with Capt. G. B. de Courcy Ireland, M.V.O., M.C., as Adjutant and Capt. W. Palmer, Quartermaster, were now to be employed for purposes of training units of the American Army, and came under the 16th Division.

During May the Officers and N.C.O.'s attended courses at St. Denoeux.

June

We returned to our old billets at Lebiez on June 12th, and on the 17th June the old 14th Light Division left for England, and we ceased to belong to it. The G.O.C. came to wish us "good-bye," and we came under the 34th Division.

On the 19th we moved to Courset, and were affiliated to the 319th American Regiment to start schools for Lewis gun training, bombing, scouting, etc.

We moved to Desvres on the 29th, on the departure of the 34th Division, to be reorganised into a fighting Division, and so came under the 39th Division.

We remained here until August 2nd, when we received our final coup de grace, the Battalion being broken up, and everyone except the C.O. received orders to join the 16th Battalion.

It was some consolation to think that the survivors would still remain Riflemen.

If the American forces are your main focus, you may be interested to know the KRRC were raised in 1755 in North America as the 62nd (then 60th) Royal Americans and had HQ and Depot on Governor's Island just off Manhattan 1755-1783.

Mark

OoB:

319th American Infantry Regiment, 160th Infantry Brigade (US), 80th Division (US), AEF

3 hours ago, MBrockway said:

OoB:

319th American Infantry Regiment, 160th Infantry Brigade (US), 80th Division (US), AEF

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to send you a private message but it states you are unable to receive them.

Cheers

Received - will reply tomorrow.

Cross-linking this thread with an older topic covering Palmer's medals and career here:

..QM..Capt Walter Palmer MBE, MC .9th /16th.KRRC <LINK REMOVED>

I suggest any new material specifically on Palmer goes in the older topic since it specifically cover Walter Palmer.

Also best to keep his biog material alongside his medals :thumbsup:

< IMAGE REMOVED >

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Link & image of Palmer's medals removed at request of the OP