Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Karlsruhe POW camp, pictures,names, faces.

P.Rhodes

My first thought on seeing the wristwatch was that it was mounted in rubber. Shock-proofed?Or maybe a wrist-mounted compass?CGM

I believe it is a regular pocket watch which has been put into a rubber "gismo" in order to wear it as a wrist watch.

It's a pocket watch in a leather mount to convert it to a wrist watch. Suprisingly common, I have one I purchased with the owners compass at the same time.

By the look of it hes the postal clerk or the camp censor.

Thats a serious sized wrist-watch hes wearing.

A posting on another Forum provided the information that Corporal Franke acted as camp interpreter, adding the information: ‘

Apparently he and the Camp commander, an old hard line Prussian aristocrat, did not get along at all; and at one point the Commandant had Corp. Frank thrown in the "clink" for selling fish to the POWs. When the Allies took over the camp on November 11, 1918, Corp. Frank was freed from his cell to become the Camp Commandant and he then threw the Old Prussian C.O. in the clink!’.

l doubt hes in France .Worrall is wearing a white hat band signifying hes still a cadet under training.

nils, you're right he was still training at that time.Reg sailed from Folkestone on 21 April 1918 to join the 5th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry, serving under Lt Col Kaye. On 13 May 1918 he was posted to the 151st Trench Mortar Battery stationed in forward trenches close to Craonne in the Aisne department of France. But after just two weeks he was captured by the Germans near Craonne on the first day of the third Battle of the Aisne. He was badly wounded, collecting bullet wounds in his left foot, right thigh, left arm and right arm.

Peter

• 9 years later...
On 02/04/2012 at 20:44, P.Rhodes said:

nils, you're right he was still training at that time.Reg sailed from Folkestone on 21 April 1918 to join the 5th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry, serving under Lt Col Kaye. On 13 May 1918 he was posted to the 151st Trench Mortar Battery stationed in forward trenches close to Craonne in the Aisne department of France. But after just two weeks he was captured by the Germans near Craonne on the first day of the third Battle of the Aisne. He was badly wounded, collecting bullet wounds in his left foot, right thigh, left arm and right arm.

Peter

Hello all

As it's been several years since I posted these pictures I thought I would re post. There might be a few new members who are looking for pictures of soldiers that would be interested.

The POW pictures were not, as it has turned out, taken at Karlsruhe but at Kamstigall. The chap at the desk, Corp Franke, being in charge. As previously stated I would be pleased to share the pictures with anyone who is interested.

Peter

Hello all

As it's been several years since I posted these pictures I thought I would re post. There might be a few new members who are looking for pictures of soldiers that would be interested. The POW pictures were not, as it has turned out, taken at Karlsruhe but at Kamstigall. The chap at the desk, Corp Franke, being in charge. As previously stated I would be pleased to share the pictures with anyone who is interested. Peter