Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Karlsruhe POW camp, pictures,names, faces.

P.Rhodes

Hello friends

I'm new to this forum and would like to make available to veiw, post cards sent or brought home from the Karlsruhe POW camp by my uncle, Reg Worrall (Waide Reginald Worrall). He was one of 4 uncles to serve in that war, one killed and two captured. He was 2nd Lt RAMC, 1st/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance. One of the cards has signatures/names on the front, the others have signatures/names on the reverse with rank and regiment, perhaps someone will recognise an ancestor!

I'm posting one picture as more would be too large a file. There are 3 with groups of men, the rest are photo's of the camp and the man in charge.

If there is anyone who would like a copy of all 7 of the pc's and the names on the reverse please ask, I would be pleased to email original scans of the cards.

W R Worrall standing left.

Peter

post-60743-040547700%201290960622.jpg

Hi Peter

I do not think your photo can be seen, I can only see a box with red x in it ?

Annette

Hi Peter

photo not showing Please try again

if you are having difficuties posting , The Forum help files will assist you

just click on help , You will find additional information on how to post images

Kind regards Ray

Thanks for posting these photos Peter.

I believe Karlsruhe was a staging camp for officers before they were distributed to other camps in the region. There seem a fair few Tank Corps officers included - one would assume the photos are quite late into the war?

Steve.

I believe Karlsruhe was a staging camp for officers before they were distributed to other camps in the region. There seem a fair few Tank Corps officers included - one would assume the photos are quite late into the war?

Steve.

Steve, glad you like em, I find them fascinating. Yes they are late in the war. As you will see from this attachment, they are from Aug 1918. I expect my uncle would have been released from there. Peter.

post-60743-095183400 1292150653.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Peter

Many thanks for sharing your photographs. I well remember visiting Reg and Madge at 99 Wynyard Road (and less often at Ben Lane). They were visits I always looked forward to. But until your post I never knew he had been a POW. I did get the tale of him being gassed in 1917 at Passchendaele.

Nigel

Hello Peter

I would be very interested to see the rest of the seven photographs. My contribution is the attached photograph - which has a caption saying that it is Waide Reginald Worrall in France during August 1917 - which, given the unit postings, would put him at or near to Passchendaele. Waide Reginald was my mother's uncle (two ways around!).

Nigel

Holymoorside

post-64766-013939600 1297798736.jpg

Joe

Looking at the original, it looks like H.C. or F.C. Bell.

Peter

Peter

The soldier in the Black Watch Tartan Kilt what is his name?

Many Thanks

Joe

• 1 year later...

Steve.

Steve

How right you are, it has come to light [its a long story] that the chap sitting at his desk is Corp P. Franke, he was at Camstigall / Kamstigall-bei-Pillau POW camp near Konigsburg [modern day Kaliningrad] on the Baltic coast.

Peter

I live in Karlsruhe, maybe I should try to find the original camp site here and get some comparison photos.

Seems its just a big hotel there now.

Next to the Zoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

How right you are, it has come to light [its a long story] that the chap sitting at his desk is Corp P. Franke, he was at Camstigall / Kamstigall-bei-Pillau POW camp near Konigsburg [modern day Kaliningrad] on the Baltic coast.

Peter

By the look of it hes the postal clerk or the camp censor.

Thats a serious sized wrist-watch hes wearing.

My first thought on seeing the wristwatch was that it was mounted in rubber. Shock-proofed?

Or maybe a wrist-mounted compass?

CGM

By the look of it hes the postal clerk or the camp censor.

Thats a serious sized wrist-watch hes wearing.

I believe it is a regular pocket watch which has been put into a rubber "gismo" in order to wear it as a wrist watch.

The letter scale seems to be very well known to me

post-80-0-35094400-1333267020.jpg

Hello Peter

I would be very interested to see the rest of the seven photographs. My contribution is the attached photograph - which has a caption saying that it is Waide Reginald Worrall in France during August 1917 - which, given the unit postings, would put him at or near to Passchendaele. Waide Reginald was my mother's uncle (two ways around!).

Nigel

Holymoorside

l doubt hes in France .Worrall is wearing a white hat band signifying hes still a cadet under training.