Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portugal's War

Guest dinkidi

Guest Ian Bowbrick
All I know is that Portuguese Victory medals are like gold dust - anyone seen one for sale?

Richard,

Whilst too late to buy, you might be interested to learn that an auction house in Godalming sold a Portugeuse Victory at the weekend for £65 plus premium & VAT.

Just goes to show they are still out there.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Just as a matter of interest about the Portugese cemetery at Neuve Chapelle. As I recall from my visit a couple of years ago, it was relatively overgrown and unkempt. Can someone confirm who is responsible for its' upkeep ?

I've noticed from my various visits to the Western front that other "minor" combatants cemeteries are usually maintained by the French (i.e The Italian Cemetery south of the Chemin des Dames & The Russian & Polish ones in Champagne) , can I deduce from the poor state of the cemetery that the Portugese Govt are responsible?. This is not meant as a slight on the Portugese, but I assume they are not fortunate enough to have a dedicated body, like the CWGC, for this task.

• 2 months later...

Just curious reading through this thread and a few other online sources if anyone has recently been in the display room at the Neuve Chapelle Cemetary. Apparently there is one with Portugese specific displays, although the opening hours, (I read) are erratic.

Also, does anyone have any pics they'd like to share? :rolleyes:

Andy

The French Ministry , Ministère des Anciens Combattants - Old Soldiers Ministry (they have a website) has a whole series of brochures with outline details of what each army did in WW1 in France. They are in French, of course and you have to write to them in French, but they cost nothing and are quite interesting as they give some details of cemeteries and memorials as well as actions.

You need to ask for each army separately i.e. list them in the letter or you'll only get the French.

A local man, 688023 Pte. Frank Martello of the 54th Kootenay Btn. C.E.F. was awarded the Military Medal for Good Services - Copper. (Portugal)

LG....08/03/20, CG....03/04/20 p. 3612.

I believe this was for service rendered while the 54th was serving in the Ypres Salient in 1917. This is the first mention I have seen of this medal. Was it a copper copy of the M.M. or was it a uniquely Portugese medal?

Brian M