Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First World War from Above

Verrico2009

I think I've found the whole thing but am having problems embedding it. Can't find it again if I sign into YouTube so this is the best I can do: Film

Good morning Tom,

Thanks for the link. It was shown during Armistice week, late at night , on French TV and I DVD'd it. I haven't sat down to watch it yet but am looking forward to it even more now !

Hi Steve, the commentary on my Satellite tv platform wasn't in French mate....but I speak the language it was broadcast in, so no problems there....

Watch it Steve, being a French/Belgian production, there's a lot of stuff we haven't seen before, and of course it comes with a different slant to which we are accustomed, and the use of modern technology to colour original black and white footage is quite awesome...

I also recorded it and have now got it on DVD, I've since found out the release date was 2008 not 2009 as I put in my earlier post. There are exerpts from Films made

by French filmakers but these are clearly indicated during the documentary, I found these pointed out the realities of WW1, deciding who lived and died, and life death/decisions had to be made in seconds under very trying circumstances.

Makers of "The First World War from Above" please take note of how to make a good documentary....

regards

Tom

Verrico2009, that's the one.....a bit more of the film shown on your piece than on the exerpt from "You Tube" that I posted......

I was lucky inasmuch I was able to download straight from satellite, and therefore didn't have the risk of viruses which I've heard can be a problem when downloading from some sites on the internet...

regards

Tom

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4632492013147531184#

The whole thing seems to be avilable via this link.

That's it, anyone who wants to get an idea of the film content can quickly scan through that link. As I said in a previous post, on my recording, the French commentary was replaced by a different language, one that I can speak and understand (to my disgrace, after years and years of visiting France, my command of the French language is almost nil!) . But anyone who wants to see the quality of some of the "colour enhanced" original film can see what a difference the colour makes.

P.S....recognise the opening shots from the airship...

regards

Tom

Thanks for the link, Ian. It's a fascinating film (luckily I speak French, so can follow the commentary!).

I'm only half-way so far (it's at least 2h30 long).

I am not always sure when the film footage is original and when it is from a movie. Sometimes it is stated on the screen if it's from a feature film, but at other times you feel that some scenes might be shot more recently, as well.

Will go on with it tomorrow. :)

Angela

The film is 100 min's long Angela.....

regards

Tom

Hi Tom/Ian

Just come across your recent messages. Thanks a million for the link.

Haven't watched the documentary yet... will do so tonight... but thoroughly enjoyed the 60 sec clip.

However I also enjoyed "The First World War From Above" LOL LOL

cheers

David

Anyone know how to get it at computer screen size. Or is the quality not good enough?

Only available with French commentary?

Anyone know ho to get it at computer screen size. Or is the quality not good enough?

Only available with French commentary?

The resolution does not really support "full size", but try: 14-18 the noise and the fury

David

The link David's posted is much better, the other was too small and you couldn't really see much.

Although I don't speak the language, I can understand some of what's being said. I shall watch it in full later.

Thanks everyone for the links etc.

Thanks for your help David

Really interesting film, many thanks for the link. I shared angelab's problem that there is intercutting with foorage from several films, and as all in in colour/recoloured, it is hard to tell the actual from the acted.

The "this is my personal story" slant to the commentary is a bit weak, but a lot of it is original footage from French archives which I haven't seen before.

If you want to watch fullscreen, search the original French title on Google, find it in Google videos. This version of the player offers a full screen option on the bottom right. The quality shown at full screen is a bit compromised though, and I think the resolution of David's link above is about the best.

Hugh

Good afternoon All,

I sat down to watch it this afternoon on the TV (from the hard drive - i recorded from France2 on 11/11/2010). I thought it was excellent with a lot of archive footage I hadn't seen before (the piles of French shells at the Somme for example).

There was original footage, interspersed with film clips and reconstructions; although some of the films were identified in the content (and all were listed in the end-credits) I agree that with the colourisation of the footage it wasn't always easy to tell reality from make-believe. My other criticism would be that 1917/18 seemed more condensed than 1914-16, with very little devoted to the fighting of 1918.

A wonderful way to pass a Sunday afternoon. Well worth viewing.

The film is 100 min's long Angela.....

Doh! I was adding together the figures for "time elapsed" and "total time"!

There was a lot of French archive footage that I hadn't seen before: Was interesting seeing the French women making shells, and stamping each one on the base.

The colouring in was very well done, and made it much easier to identify Allied/German/French armies quickly. I think what seemed bizarre - though it was very clever - was the way murmured conversations had been added in appropriate languages to the silent archive footage. It did make it harder to distinguish between archive and re-enacted/feature film.

Yes, the style of story-telling was weak - and it got more irritating towards the end when the commentator kept banging on about how his "friend" had gone off home, and may have deserted. It's a style I have come across a lot in modern French museums. Somehow they seem to think you will die of boredom if they tell you a few facts, and feel obliged to dress them up as a twee tale.

But all in all a film well worth seeing. Thanks again for the link.

Angela

My other criticism would be that 1917/18 seemed more condensed than 1914-16, with very little devoted to the fighting of 1918.

Yes, that was quite funny - after the mutinies and Petain in 1917, the war sort of... ended in Victory! Hooray, but to the uninitiated surely a little puzzling.

But that footage alone was far more eloquent than anything offered in the doc. we're supposed to be discussing. Whether you can catch the gist of the French narration in this film or not, I do highly recommend that it is worth the time.

Hugh

Yes it was worth watching for the film footage from their archives we have never seen before. We get used to the same shots used over and over again, in fact there's

a couple in this documentary that anyone in Britain would recognise straight away.

Having recorded it direct from satellite, I get the benefit of having full digital quality of the film without it having to be reduced for internet purposes,(smug grin!)

Anyway it's now amongst my library of Great War Video recordings....

regards

Tom

• 7 months later...

Quite good but I wish they would orient the on-ground discussions by showing a trench map or on-screen marker. I can't stand looking at intelligent folk saying, "The British were over there" into the camera or pointing vaguely off into the middle distance. Use the medium to send the full message. Very moving sequence at the end. Antony

• 1 year later...

....oh and begs my question, which village is this that the balloon is flying over??

Andy

post-10939-0-12928600-1345368967_thumb.j

post-10939-0-15144400-1345368990_thumb.j

Andy,

If I am not mistaken,

Sint-Elooi ( St Eloi ) between Ieper and Mesen ( Messines ). The road in the top right corner of the second photo leads to Ieper, the road in the bottom left corner leads to Mesen. The road in the top left corner leads to Voormezele, visible in the top left corner of the first photo. The airship is flying roughly south east.

Regards,