Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First World War from Above

Verrico2009

Featured in yesterday's Times: BBC1

"The programme gives a unique overview of the Western Front, stretching from the Belgian coast to the Swiss Alps. It also features film shot by Jacques Trolley de Prevaux, an airship pilot, above the Western Front in 1919, after the guns had fallen silent."

I've seen the airship footage and it is absolutely spectacular. The programme has a decent budget and it looks like it will be very good. I know that Peter Barton and Nigel Steel participated and am sure that others are involved.

Just a bump up as this will be starting shortly.

John

We have just taken in a vote in our house on whether to watch this or Downton Abbey and The First World War from Above won.

Mandy

It didn't in mine so record button is set! But I imagine Downton Abbey will have some WW1 content tonight, it's the obvious way to complicate the inheritance issue and I expect the house will become a hospital. Here I go giving ideas to the scriptwriters.

Ray,

I'm not sure, think so. I would like to see more of the film shot from the airship. Facinating footage but there must be much more.

John

Hi All.

Was that area refered to in the programme, that was owned by the French family and preserved, High Wood?

Ray

Looked like the Tambour at Fricourt to me...

regards

Tom

I was a bit disappointed. I suppose its inevitable. For the mass market it may well have been excellent. I was just frustrated that I wanted to see so much more of the original film, and less clever manipulation of modern imagery.

Still it was worth it for that which we could see.

Keith

I was just frustrated that I wanted to see so much more of the original film, and less clever manipulation of modern imagery.

Keith,

I agree.

John

Think he said there was around 80 mins of original footage.

Hopefully, when we all get our jet-packs in a few years (as promised in the 1960s :whistle: ) it would be a great way to view the battlefields from the air!

With all due respect, I don't think the programme was aimed at us.

I would have been quite happy had the programme been just all 78 minutes of the original film, but would that have been what the general public would watch?

I suppose anything at peak viewing time that increases public awareness has to be a good thing.

Bruce

Prominently billed as footage from an airship; what we actually got was the same 15 seconds or so of aerial footage repeated at least four times.

I thought it was a totally unfocused programme, forgetting a lot of the time about "from Above" for just random bits about the war. As usual with that reporter, over emotionalising at every stage, and capped by the conversation in the modern airship.

Keene and his expert adviser were floating over the mine craters of the Messines offensive. And then came one of the biggest howlers I've ever seen in a BBC documentary - they identified the ornamental lake on the Palingbeek golf course as a "double mine crater".

What they were looking at was the first of the chain of ornamental lakes made from damming the Palingbeek, which was part of the landscaping of the grounds for the White Chateau in the 1890s. Tee hee!

What a mish mash.

"Prevaux did not fly over the Somme battlefields..." so why devote so much of the programme to the Somme?

Disappointed. The show did not live up to its billing. The film shot from the airship has been shown (and indeed, a lot more of it shown) quite recently and the rest was of a style and quality that you could see a hundred times a week on the History Channel. Sure it was not aimed at afficionados, but even so I think it was a missed opportunity.

Hi All.Was that area refered to in the programme, that was owned by the French family and preserved, High Wood?Ray

Here is a Google image of the Tambour at Fricourt:

Red arrow = Tambour

Blue arrow = Fricourt New British Military Cemetery

Two Blue arrows = Fricourt German War Cemetery

5157652204_bfd73f2f35.jpg

More aerial photos here

Norman