Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify this light cannon?

Tom W.

Hello, Tom - I think that it is a 37mm Luftschiff "Revolverkanone," which was used by German land forces as light flak primarily to protect airfields, observation balloons, etc. If I am incorrect, I'll be interested to find out what it is. Regards, Torrey

I don't think it is. The revolver cannon was a multi barrelled weapon. This one appears to be a single shot weapon with a falling block action, probably in 37mm calibre.

I had not answered this previously as I do not know what it actually is.

Regards

TonyE

Looks a bit like the Vickers naval 3pdr QF stripped down and on an improvised mounting (on a narrow gauge railway truck) - very un airfield defence like. Taken off a capture/wrecked ship?

Agreed that is a possibility, but what was the breech action on the Vickers? The weapon in the picture definitely seems to have a falling block breech, but I do not know enough about Vickers naval weapons to comment.

Cheers

TonyE

I think it did but the activating lever appears to have been on the left and not the right (an export model for continental firing!)

The shoulder arrangement is typical of naval weapons of about 3 pounds (the Hotchkiss 3 pdr had a similar arrangement) so I'd guess it would be an ex naval gun of some make.

It seems hard to think it could be as large as 47mm when you look at the bloke next to it. The Vickers 3-pr had a barrel more than 6ft long and weighed over 500 lb. Even if it were cut down it's hard to imagine the round going into that little breech, and the bore would scarcely be longer than the chamber... :huh:

I'd think we're looking nearer 20 - 30mm calibre.

But it's certainly a bit of a puzzle...

Regards,

MikB

It seems hard to think it could be as large as 47mm when you look at the bloke next to it. The Vickers 3-pr had a barrel more than 6ft long and weighed over 500 lb. Even if it were cut down it's hard to imagine the round going into that little breech, and the bore would scarcely be longer than the chamber... :huh:

I'd think we're looking nearer 20 - 30mm calibre.

But it's certainly a bit of a puzzle...

Regards,

MikB

At the time 20 -30 mm were illegal calibres for shell firing guns, 37mm (ie 2lb) was about as small as you could go.

Not my areas but how about THIS (CLICKCLICK) with the barrel cut down just beyond the sighting blade?

Type:

Naval gun

Kenmerken:

Bouwjaar : rond 1885

In dienst : 1886

Cadans: semi- automatisch 25 schoten per minuut

Schootsafstand :

1.4° = 910m

4.0° = bijna1900 m

8.4 ° = bijna 2800m

11.4° = 3200m

Hit na :

2,2 sec voor 910m

5,8 sec voor 1900m

10,5 sec voor 2800m

13,5 sec voor 3200m

Munitie:

Heat

(source: http://forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=12938)

Doesn't look at all like a semi automatic weapon - where is the magazine for a start?

I think this gun and possibly the one in Post one may be a Nordenfelt QF built in various sizes there was one firing a 2 pound shell. Sold all over the world for use on torpedo boats, destroyers etc. Used in great numbers by the Spanish navy (many of which ended up salvaged by the US navy) Nordenfelt Some of the smaller calibre versions ended up on US sub chasers. A single shot weapon.

Doesn't look at all like a semi automatic weapon - where is the magazine for a start?

I think this gun and possibly the one in Post one may be a Nordenfelt built in various sizes there was one firing a 2 pound shell. Sold all over the world for use on torpedo boats, destroyers etc. Used in great numbers by the Spanish navy (may of which ended up salvaged by the US navy Nordenfelt

Just to clarify - you are suggesting that while the picture I linked resembles the original (and hypothesizing they may be a Nordenfelt) that the description underneath is inaccurate or applies to another weapon?

Chris

(BTW it was by searching for Nordenfelt that I found the picture!)

Just to clarify - you are suggesting that while the picture I linked resembles the original (and hypothesizing they may be a Nordenfelt) that the description underneath is inaccurate or applies to another weapon?

Chris

(BTW it was by searching for Nordenfelt that I found the picture!)

The latter I suspect. None of these naval weapons were semi automatic. Perhaps some one got Quick Firing confused with Automatic?

I think one candidate is that rather than a 3 Pdr. Nordenfelt, it is 3 Pdr. Hotchkiss, possibly captured from the French.

The Hotchkiss had a simple vertical sliding breech which was operated by a lever on the right hand side. A diagram of the British version is on Page 34 of Hogg & Thurston. It differs in minor detail from the picture but that may be due to nationality.

Regards

TonyE

I think one candidate is that rather than a 3 Pdr. Nordenfelt, it is 3 Pdr. Hotchkiss, possibly captured from the French.

The Hotchkiss had a simple vertical sliding breech which was operated by a lever on the right hand side. A diagram of the British version is on Page 34 of Hogg & Thurston. It differs in minor detail from the picture but that may be due to nationality.

Regards

TonyE

The Hotchkiss 3 pdr was a much heavier (chunkier) weapon. The Nordenfelt family of QFs also had a vertical breech but the external diameter of the barrel was smaller. see as follows which I was preparing before I read your post

Looking at the photo it would seem that the sides of the truck must fold down to provide a platform for the loader(s) to stand on. If the gun is a Nordenfelt (as I am increasingly thinking that it is) it's worth noting that as the ships on which these were first installed in the 1880s and 90s began to decommisssion the guns began to appear in coastal defences which might be the source of this one. Apart from Spain Russia was originally a big user so some Russian coastal defence (say in Poland) might have been the original source. Such a mounting could well be used on something like a mole where it would be used to defend against light craft coming inshore. However the background in the photo appears somewhat un-moley. The gun shown has no scope for much elevation so very unlikely to be for AA use. The complex naval sights have been removed so intended to be used at relatively short range.

BTW I believe that the Vickers 3 pdr QF was effectively a Nordenfelt development. Vickers absorbed some parts of the Nordenfelt 'empire'. Both the Nordenfelt family of QFs and the Vickers had lighter barrels than the equivelent Hotchkiss QFs and the external diameter was smaller.

The gun doesn't look like any of the Nordenfelt 3/6 pdrs or the Hotchkiss 3 Pdr - I've seen surviving examples of these guns.

www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation/norden_2.html

www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation/hotchkiss_1.html - missing the shoulder brace.

www.ammsbrisbane.com/documentation/nordenfelt_6Pdr_1.html

It looks like an anti-torpedo boat gun from the 1880s or so of about 37mm calibre - no recoil mechanism used.

Regards,

Charlie

It looks like an anti-torpedo boat gun from the 1880s or so of about 37mm calibre - no recoil mechanism used.

Which were Nordenfelts. I suspect you've been looking at later weapons

The German navy also had a 37mm anti torpedo boat gun built by Krupp but this has a Krupp sliding wedge breech

Hi,

the 3,7 cm Luftschiff-Flak was single-barrelled

Cnock