Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Marvellous!

Among other delights: a very well qualified MG section with many MG badges [one man wears two badges, either both MG or possibly MG and Rangetaker.]

A Stretcher Bearer TF, S scarlet B blue intertwined. Note how ortho film renders the blue virtually in visible. This is the latest wearing of the badge that I have ever seen, given the wound badge [1916]. One of the few badges I have never owned.

Men of a transport section wearing, I believe,  Driving prize badges.

Thank you very much.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:34, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

"Hope's of Peace".

The Grocer's Apostrophe is not a new phenomenon then!

The 20th Rifle Brigade was a Pal's Battalion, raised from Grocer's.

Thank you all the information.

No14 & No15 19th Bn Postcards  Tim on the Manchester Regt site posted this

21 TMB, Mainly 19th Bttn men
Group in June 1917. Back Row from left – Jim Wilson, Nat Burgess, and John Carr. Middle W Hughes, W Mawdsley & F Lane. Front with Dog – J Lolley

I have a copy of this photo from David Carr - John's Grandson

You can see a few of these men in the main photo, which I suggest may be 21/TMB with the other Bttns."

Cheers for any research as it's all helpful

Roy

On 17/04/2017 at 09:09, FROGSMILE said:

Too small for a competition photo.  It is most likely a musketry training course run by the Brigade of Guards Depot, where instructional facilities, ranges, etc. were greatly concentrated, for units located within London , or perhaps Southern (Aldershot) Command/District (these latter two terms for a specific area alternated over the years).  The instructor of the 'squad' (the term invariably used) is seated centrally.  Course photos like this are prolific and invariably similar in appearance. They became popular with the advent of cheaper, glass plate photography that made a commercial photography business viable and studios located close to barracks soon realised the potential for lucrative repeat orders recording men going through various forms of training.  Relationships with training schools became cordial and regular and frequently marked by a mutually beneficial arrangement, usually in the form of free prints for the establishment records.

Many thanks for the very informative reply.

Mike.

"Officers,Nco's and men, 3rd Anti Air Craft Section. 224 Albert Rd, Plumstead, Woolwich.  May 26th 1916.  Left for France May 27th 1916".

Scan_20170427.jpg

R.A.  Brass and cloth badges.

Scan_20170427 (3).jpg

20th Hussars, 2nd Dragoons and R.A. hanging round the kitchen door.  Does the man with the R.A. badge wear an MM ribbon?

Scan_20170424.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

The RA group may be a trumpet course. Two versions of the appointed trumpeter badge can be seen. My eyes cannot be sure if the trumpets are in fact bugles. Either way, both were used ...... the latter for mounted duty.

23 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

The RA group may be a trumpet course. Two versions of the appointed trumpeter badge can be seen. My eyes cannot be sure if the trumpets are in fact bugles. Either way, both were used ...... the latter for mounted duty.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

No valves, so not trumpets, all bugles.

Derek.

Sorry , all trumpets in the photo. They are longer overall, and no, they don't have valves any more than bugles do. Duty trumpets in Eb.

I too see only standard British Army trumpets, as issued to mounted duty units.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Not of great pith and moment but one bugle I'm sure, chap in the centre of the front row with the "tache" you can see the bell is not as rounded out as the trumpets and the instrument is shorter, bugle.

TH

2 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Not of great pith and moment but one bugle I'm sure, chap in the centre of the front row with the "tache" you can see the bell is not as rounded out as the trumpets and the instrument is shorter, bugle.

TH

Yes, I see it now. Ironically he is almost certainly the instructor, seated centrally, with an air of authority and holding a riding whip.

2 cards featuring R.N.D. recruits.

Card 1. R.N.D. shoulder titles worn by some men in place of cap badges.   " Erney is on the outside it is the inside of his hut".

Card 

2. All recruits wear R.N.D, cap badges except the man right hand end of front row who wears a "Royal Naval Division" cat tally.RND.jpg

RND...jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Nurses and men at Norton Hall Red Cross Hospital,  Norton Hall, Cipping Campden, Gloucestershire.

"Convalesance during 1915. Campton Hall Glouster"   " Norton Hall, Campden Glouster, Convalesant Home"   the cards are numbered A7 and A8. The Chipping Campden History Society website has a section  "Norton Hall  Red Cross Hospital in WW1" and shows image No. A9.

Norton House Hopital. Glos.).jpg

Norton House. Red + Glos..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

19 hours ago, Tony Barton said:

Sorry , all trumpets in the photo. They are longer overall, and no, they don't have valves any more than bugles do. Duty trumpets in Eb.

No apologies necessary.

That'll be "natural trumpets", not modern "trumpets" then.

Derek.

7 hours ago, Derek Black said:

No apologies necessary.

That'll be "natural trumpets", not modern "trumpets" then.

Derek.

Outside of a band the military have always used trumpets without valves, Derek.  You might find this link of interest:  http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11778

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

2 cards featuring R.N.D. recruits.

Card 1. R.N.D. shoulder titles worn by some men in place of cap badges.   " Erney is on the outside it is the inside of his hut".

Card 

2. All recruits wear R.N.D, cap badges except the man right hand end of front row who wears a "Royal Naval Division" cat tally.RND.jpg

RND...jpg

Great images.  Probably of the RND depot at Blandford, in Dorset.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great images.  Probably of the RND depot at Blandford, in Dorset.

Thanks. 

I was having trouble with the badge, until I spotted the broom under the table was R.N.D marked. 

Norfolk Regiment recruits. 

3 Postcards of the same Norfolk Private.  2 from a Harlesden photographer, the other from Folkstone.

Scan_20170501 (9).jpg

Scan_20170501 (10).jpg

Scan_20170501 (11).jpg

Scan_20170501 (12).jpg

• Admin

Dear All

You may have seen this thread on Copyright in the About This Forum area. To ensure GWF does not inadvertently fall foul of copyright laws, we are starting to establish a Fair Dealing policy which will permit limited posting of images that are in copyright. To do this properly we will require sources to be included when posting a postcard, image or photo.

If it the image is a link to Flickr or similar hosting site you can refer to that fact. If the post card is in your own collection simply say “From my own collection”. If it is a photograph from a book, please include page number and book title. If the image comes from a commercial site like BNA, FMP or Ancestry or a museum/library please give the name, website and collection it was obtained from. We are not looking for lengthy citations but just a note along the lines of the BNA citation in this announcement.

Further information about Fair Dealing will be provided when we are in a position to tell everyone.

The GWF Team

From my own collection;

" Henry Percy Keen. Bombardier No (L/) 44291, 33 DIv. Artillery, C/162 Bde. R.F.A,  Lawrence Keen. Youngest brother. Elizabeth Keen. Oldest sister + first born"

Scan_20170503.jpg

From my own collection:

My grandfather, AB George Sinclair RNVR, and crewmates during operations against the Bolsheviks in the Baltic. A Coatbridge man, he enlisted in November 1915 (Clyde Division), then trained as a signaller and served in HMS Cordelia and HMS Caradoc. I knew him well in his later years. His brother John, to whom these postcards were sent, fought with the Lanarkshire Yeomanry at Gallipoli before being commissioned into the RFA. 

Cheers, Pat.590b59efb3c95_Grandadsnavyphoto1.jpg.e3bf26e97d778fcb5fb68cba4800335a.jpg590b59fdbb4c1_Grandadsnavyphoto2.jpg.fff6f3e448ac44d0662735984a124567.jpg

Pictured Private later 2/Lt TS Shackleton 1/6th commissioned 2/6th Bn Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment.

IMG_6666.JPG.2a9baa3e2086d3373acfd42aadb5175b.JPGThomas Smith Shackleton was killed in action by enemy shellfire exactly 100 years ago today near Bullecourt.

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6670.JPG